Saint Louis University
University description (as per official university website)
Saint Louis University is regarded as one of the Philippines' respected and leading educational institutions that has grown with the demands of the current and future environments for its students and faculty alike.
Around two hundred fifty kilometers north of Manila lies Baguio City, known to be the "Summer Capital of the Philippines" that enjoys temperate climate all year round. From a village resort established by the Americans, Baguio has become the Northern Philippines' center of business and commerce as well as the center of education. Saint Louis University has played a pivotal role in the evolution of the City into a center for learning in the North.
Today, SLU is the largest university north of Manila with more than 30,000 students from the elementary, high school and college levels. Its reputation for excellence attracts students and scholars not only from the Philippines but from other countries as well. It has sustained itself throughout the past ninety years to become one of the top centers of academic excellence in the Philippines that meet international standards in tertiary education. Most of its programs, from the elementary to the graduate level, have received the highest level of accreditation in the country.
SLU has four campuses: the main campus at A. Bonifacio Street, St. Aloysius de Gonzaga Campus (for Elementary, Teacher Education and Law) at General Luna Road, Navy Base Campus (for High School) in Pacdal and the Maryheights Campus (for Accountancy and Business management) in Bakakeng. It has become the venue for seminars, various fora, and other special events of the public and private sectors in the Cordillera, in addition to the everyday conduct of student life in the University. It has welcomed within its walls an eclectic mix of various cultures, traditions, beliefs and nationalities.
Vision - Mission
The School of Teacher Education is envisioned as an institution for excellence in teacher education committed to be a leader in the formation and training of competent, creative, socially-involved educators, and imbued with the Christian spirit of inclusive education.
Alongside the College of Liberal Arts, the College of Education humbly opened its doors to the students of the Cordilleras. The first department established in 1952 was just a small house beside the Baguio Cathedral. After several years, the college was transferred to the Diego Silang building then to the Jose Burgos building and finally to the St. Aloysius Gonzaga building.
In 1955, the department produced its first five pioneer graduates who spearheaded the vision of a Louisian's way and life of excellence. In the early 1960s, the two-year Elementary Teacher Certificate (ETC) was offered. After receiving this certificate, the graduates could already teach in the elementary level. Likewise, the Kindergarten Primary Teacher Certificate (KPTC) provided the opportunity to the graduates to teach in the preparatory and primary levels. However, the Department of Education and Culture ordered that those who have taken the above certificates should finish their baccalaureate degree. Thus, the college offered the BSE inverted course for the graduates of ETC and KPTC.
In 1963, the College of Liberal Arts merged with the College. It was also in this decade that most of the classes were held at the former St. Martin building now the Rev. Fr. William Brasseur Building. From 1955 to 1988, two courses were offered namely Bachelor of Science in Education (BSE) for high school, and Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (BSEEd) for the elementary. In 1989, the course title BSEEd was changed to Bachelor of Elementary Education (BEED) and BSE was changed to Bachelor of Secondary Education (BSED). From 1984-1988, the College offered an experimental class in Inverted Teacher Education Program (ITEP) which enabled the graduates to teach both in the elementary and high school levels.
After being accredited by the Philippine Association of Accrediting Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) in 1984, the College of Education was granted Level 3 Accreditation for having passed the requirements of PAASCU. In June 1996, the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) approved the recommendation of CHED Technical Panel for Teaching Education identifying the SLU Education Program as one of the Centers of Excellence for Teacher Education for a period of five years beginning June 1996. Moreover, CHED had granted the College Level 2 Accreditation as per CHED order no.31 s. 1995 valid up to April of 2004.