University description (as per official university website)
East China Normal University, one of China’s key universities under the direct auspices of the Ministry of Education, is sponsored by the prestigious national program “Project 211” and “Project 985”.
ECNU is a high level normal university founded in October 1951, based on the former Great China University and Kwang Hua University, incorporated with part of Fudan University and Tongji University etc. ECNU was one of the first 16 universities officially graded as National Key Universities in 1959. This status was reaffirmed in 1978. ECNU was also one of the first 33 higher education institutions authorized, by the State Council in 1986, to establish their graduate schools. In 1996, ECNU passed the prerequisites appraisal and became one of universities sponsored by the major national program “Project 211”. In 2006, the Ministry of Education and Shanghai Municipality signed into a partnership for co-sponsoring the development of the university, qualifying ECNU as a member of the “Project 985” and facilitating ECNU’s efforts and progress towards a world-renowned high level research university.
With two campuses located in Minhang and Putuo District respectively totaling an area of over 220 hectares, East China Normal University has long been reputed as a “Garden University” for its beautiful campus scenes.
At present the university is made up of 18 full-time schools and colleges, 2 unconventional colleges and 4 advanced research institutes, with 54 departments offering 67 undergraduate programs. They are:
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Education Science, School of Psychology and Cognitive Science, School of Public Administration, School of Preschool Education and Special Education, School of Foreign Languages, School of Business, International College of Chinese Studies, School of Communication, School of Arts, School of Design, School of Physical Education and Health Care, School of Science and Engineering, School of Resources and Environmental Science, School of Life Science, School of Information Science and Technology and School of Software
- College of Continuing Education and College of Distance Education
- Institute of Estuary and Coastal Research, Institute for Advanced International and Regional Studies, Institute for Advanced interdisciplinary studies and Si-mian Institute for Advanced Studies in Humanities. Among them, the School of Software is the only statewide pilot School of Software at a teachers’ university; The International College of Chinese Studies is among the 8 State Bases for Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language, certified by the Ministry of Education. ECNU is designated as one of the National Liberal Arts and Basic Sciences Training and Research Bases in its disciplines of Chinese, History, Mathematics, Geography, Psychology and Physics.
The university is officially authorized to offer programs:
- in 2 of the Primary Disciplines and 5 of the Sub-Disciplines, which are enlisted as National Key Disciplines;
- in 5 of the disciplines, which are enlisted as Preparatory National Key Disciplines,
- in 12 disciplines enlisted as Shanghai Key Disciplines.
It boasts 2 State Key Labs, 1 National Field Observation and Research Station, 6 Key Labs or Engineering Centers and 6 Key Research Bases for Humanities and Social Sciences of the Ministry of Education. It is authorized to offer 112 doctoral programs covering 14 Primary Disciplines, 178 master’s programs in 6 specialties, i.e. Education, Public Administration, Engineering, Physical Education and Business Administration, and to set up 14 post-doctoral mobile research stations.
ECNU’ boasts a faculty body of over 4000, among whom there are 1986 full time teachers (including over 1000 professors or associate professors), 11 academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences or Chinese Academy of Engineering (6 of them are academicians of both Academies), 11 members of the “State Council Academic Appraisal Committee”, 8 specially hired professors or lecture professors for the “Yangtze Scholar Award Program” sponsored by the Ministry of Education, 9 “state level talents” chosen by the “New-Century Talents Project,” 10 “National Outstanding Youth Fund” award winner, 80 specially hired professors or lecture professors for ECNU’s “Zijiang Scholar Award Program”, and 105 tenured professors. At present, the total number of students is more than 49,000, with over 14,000 full-time undergraduate students and over 7,700 graduate students (including those in a Master’s program), among them more than 2,700 are international students.
East China Normal University attaches great importance to the internationalization in its development and enjoys a wide influence and reputation in the world. The University has established strategic cooperative partnership with many world-renowned universities, such as ENS Group in France, the University of Pennsylvania and New York University in USA, Tokyo University and Kobe University in Japan, and the University of Melbourne in Australia, etc., and has been carrying out academic exchanges with over 100 universities and institutions of Great Britain, France, German, Japan, the United States, Canada, Australia, Korea, and Russian, etc. More than 180 famous scholars have been conferred / invited as honorary professors, advisory professors, visiting professors, or adjunct professors of ECNU. The Ministry of Education’s Training Center for Secondary School Principals located at ECNU is a state base for the training of secondary school principals in Mainland China and advanced studies of those in Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. It enjoys the reputation as the “Huangpu Military School” for secondary school principals.
The university sponsors or supervises publication of more than 20 academic journals and periodicals. The collection of the library has exceeded 3,900,000 volumes. 16 primary or secondary schools are affiliated to the university.
Adhering to the school motto of “Seek Truth, Foster Originality; and Live up to the Name of a Teacher”, giving full play to the advantages of its liberal and science disciplines, ECNU has been making enormous achievements in talents-training, scientific research, community service and international exchange, contributing significantly to the development of Chinese basic education and teacher education, and the advancement of economics, sciences and society locally and nationally. The development and transformation of the country and the modernized international metropolis of Shanghai brings huge opportunities to the university for its progress. ECNU is working its way up enthusiastically and steadfastly toward the goal of establishing itself as “an internationally renowned high-level research university, with a number of first-class disciplines and a well coordinated disciplinary development, taking the lead in the development of China’s teacher education”