University description (as per official university website)
There are 23,500 students enrolled at the University, including 11,700 undergraduates, 6,900 master's degree students, 2,700 doctoral candidates, and 2,200 other students.
The University community
1,200 tenured academic faculty, 1,500 full-time administrative and technical staff.
Mount Scopus, The Edmond J. Safra Campus, and Ein Kerem (in Jerusalem), and Rehovot.
Faculty of Humanities, Faculty of Social Sciences, Faculty of Law, The Faculty of Mathematics and Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Dental Medicine, and The Robert H. Smith Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Environment.
Jerusalem School of Business Administration, Hebrew University-Hadassah School of Dental Medicine Founded by the Alpha Omega Fraternity, School of Education, School of Engineering and Computer Science, Rothberg International School, Hebrew University-Hadassah Medical School, Henrietta Szold-Hadassah-Hebrew University School of Nursing, School of Nutritional Sciences, Hadassah-Hebrew University School of Occupational Therapy, School of Pharmacy, Braun Hebrew University-Hadassah School of Public Health and Community Medicine, School of Public Policy, The Paul Baerwald School of Social Work and Social Welfare , and Koret School of Veterinary Medicine.
The University grants bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees. To date, the University has conferred over 120,000 academic degrees.
The Jewish National and University Library is the central library of the University as well as serving as the national library of the Jewish people and the State of Israel. Its collections of Hebraica and Judaica are the largest in the world. As the central and largest library of the Hebrew University, it is also the oldest section of the university. Founded in 1892 as a world center for the preservation of books relating to Jewish thought and culture, it assumed the additional functions of a general university library in 1920.
In addition to the JNUL, there are eleven subject-related libraries located on the various campuses:
Avraham Harman Science Library, The Edmond J. Safra Campus
Mathematics and Computer Science Library, The Edmond J. Safra Campus
Earth Sciences Library, The Edmond J. Safra Campus
Library for Humanities and Social Sciences, Mt. Scopus
Bernard G. Segal Law Library Center, Mt. Scopus
Library of Archaeology, Mt. Scopus
Moses Leavitt Library of Social Work, Mt. Scopus
Zalman Aranne Central Education Library, Mt. Scopus
Library of the Rothberg International School, Mt. Scopus
Muriel and Philip I. Berman National Medical Library, Ein Kerem
Central Library of Agricultural Science, Rehovot
Roberta and Stanley Bogen Library of The Harry S. Truman Research Institute for the Advancement of Peace, Mt. Scopus
The dream of establishing a "University of the Jewish People" in the Land of Israel formed an integral part of the early Zionist vision. With the acquisition of the Gray Hill estate atop Mount Scopus, and the laying of the cornerstone for the university-to-be in 1918, the realization of the dream was on its way.
Seven years later, on April 1, 1925, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem was opened at a festive ceremony attended, among others, by leaders of world Jewry including the University's founding father, Dr. Chaim Weizmann, distinguished academics and communal leaders of the Yishuv, and British dignitaries including Lord Balfour, Viscount Allenby and Sir Herbert Samuel. Also in attendance were Chief Rabbi Abraham Isaac Hacohen Kook, the poet Haim Nahman Bialik and many others.
The First Board of Governors of the University, chaired by Dr. Weizmann, included such luminaries as Albert Einstein, Sigmund Freud, Martin Buber, Haim Nahman Bialik, Asher Ginsberg (Ahad Ha'am), Dr. Judah Leib Magnes, James Rothschild, Sir Alfred Mond, Nahum Sokolov, Harry Sacher and Felix M. Warburg.
The University's first three research institutes - in microbiology, chemistry and Jewish studies - had 33 faculty members and 141 students. In 1931, the University awarded its first degrees, the Master of Arts, to 13 graduates.
By 1947, the University had grown to a large, well-established research and teaching institution, encompassing humanities, science, medicine, education and agriculture (the last at a campus in Rehovot); the Jewish National and University Library; a University press; and an adult education center. Student enrollment exceeded 1,000 and there were some 200 faculty members.
The War of Independence in 1948 left the University campus cut off from Israeli west Jerusalem, and alternative facilities were found throughout the city. In 1953, construction began on a new main campus at Givat Ram in the heart of Jerusalem. A few years later work began on a health sciences campus in Ein Kerem in southwest Jerusalem, in partnership with the Hadassah Medical Organization. By the beginning of 1967, the number of faculties and schools had been greatly expanded, and enrollment exceeded 12,500.
With the reunification of Jerusalem in the Six-Day War of June 1967, work began on restoring and expanding the Mount Scopus campus. In 1981, the historical Mount Scopus campus again became the main home of the University. The University has since continued to grow, with the addition of new buildings, establishment of new programs, and recruitment of outstanding scholars, researchers and students, in fulfillment of its commitment to excellence.