University description (as per official university website)
Ahlia at a Glance:
- First private university in Bahrain (Licensed in 2001)
- Enrollment: 1730 students (February 2010)
- Academic staff to students ratio : 1:16.5
- 6 colleges + 1 deanship
- Affiliation Agreements with:
Brunel University (UK)
Georgia State University (USA)
University of Wisconsin River Falls ( USA)
Waseda University ( Japan )
Philadelphia University ( Jordan)
European Organization for Nuclear Research (Switzerland)
Eropean Institute of Technology , EPITECH ( France)
Bahrain Institute of Banking & Finance - BIBF ( Bahrain )
Bahrain Institute of Technology (Bahrain)
- Located at Gosi Complex, Exhibitions Road, Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain.
Established in 2001, Ahlia University (AU) is the first private university to be licensed by the Government of Bahrain. It is an autonomous institution independently chartered, funded and managed by the private sector. All the professional programmes offered by AU are accredited by the Bahrain's Higher Education Council as well as highly reputed and distinguished leading universities in the UK and USA. Ahlia University was among the first Bahraini private universities to be recognized by the Kuwaiti Ministry of Higher Education. The founders have articulated their vision of a distinctive institution of higher education to ensure that science and education take their rightful place in the building and advancement of our society.
The curricula of all degrees consist of a core component and a specialization component. The core component emphasizes the philosophy of the University, which gives a special attention to the humanities and social sciences to assist the students to become enlightened humans and to develop a tolerance and open frame of mind to all mankind.
Ahlia University currently consists of six colleges, one deanship and six centres; College of Arts, Science and Education, College of Business and Finance, College of Engineering, College of Graduate Studies and Research, College of Information Technology, College of Medical and Health Sciences, Deanship of Student Affairs, Media Production Centre, Ahlia Centre for Continuing Education (ACCE), Ahlia Centre for Information and Documentation, Centre for Accreditation and Quality Assurance, Centre for Measurement and Evaluation and Centre of ICT.
With the opening of AU in Bahrain, students throughout the Gulf have, for the first time, the opportunity to join a truly productive and challenging institute of higher education. They receive a technologically sophisticated education and a highly distinctive, liberal arts education. All the courses are taught by a select of faculty who possess outstanding academic credentials and have relevant practical and professional experience.
Alone among Bahraini private universities, Ahlia University, in collaboration with Brunel University (U.K.), offers a Ph.D. programme Without Residence in the Colleges of Business & Finance and Information Technology. The programme is fully recognized by the UK education authorities and accredited by the Ministry of Education of the Kingdom of Bahrain.
Ahlia University aspires to become an outstanding regional and international university by achieving excellence in education, promoting integrity and by providing a broad range of high quality professional services and research to the community.
As a leading institution for higher education, Ahlia University mission is to move forward the frontiers of human knowledge and enrich and elevate society. In support of this mission, the University is committed to:
Produce graduates who are distinguished by their professional competence, humanistic outlook and uncompromising ethics.
Provide the facilities and support for its staff to pursue innovative research.
Establish Ahlia University as an acknowledged centre of excellence in different fields of knowledge.
Our Core Values
1. Academic Excellence: WE seek excellence in all our endeavours, particularly instruction and academic support facilities. We are committed to developing programmes that are viable, innovative and relevant to market needs. We uphold the commitment to national, regional and international accreditation of our programmes.
2. Educational Opportunity: WE sustain our commitment to enroll, educate, and graduate students without regard to age, ethnicity, gender, national origin, socioeconomic background, or educationally unrelated handicap.
3. Personal Growth: WE articulate and encourage growth and development of individuals as a means to achieving personal independence and self-satisfaction. We also view Personal Growth as a key factor to higher contribution to the development of the University and the society at large.
4. Social Responsibility: WE promote active participation in constructive social change through volunteerism, leadership, and civic action on the part of our faculty, staff, and students; further, WE accept a responsibility to contribute to the progress of our society through supporting worthy causes, conducting research that strives to advance human welfare and by preparing professionals for leadership roles in their professions and communities.
5. Respect: WE appreciate the gifts and unique contributions of every person in the University community and value their diverse perspectives.
6. High Ethical and Moral Standards: WE shall exhibit a high standard of professionalism, which embodies behaviours that are ethical, respectful, trustworthy, and competent.
7. Integrity: We will be truthful, equitable and committed to intellectual honesty. We believe that an academic community is required to maintain intellectual and personal honesty in learning, teaching and research; ensure fairness in institutional standards, practices and procedures and create a climate of mutual trust to encourage free exchange of ideas and advance the quest for truth and knowledge.
8. Supporting Research and Development: WE work with faculty members, students and external partners in both industry and the community to support world-class research and enterprise, and to develop a sustainable portfolio of activities that strengthen and underpin the University's research base.
9. Transparency: WE value transparency, where actions and decisions are made more visible to the public as an essential means to gain the trust of stakeholders, develop and enhance our educational programmes and motivate our staff.
10. Providing service of high quality: We value high quality service to all our stakeholders. We strive for excellence in our service by continuously maintaining and enhancing our own knowledge and skills