University description (as per official university website)
Rafael Landivar University is an institution of higher education, Catholic Guatemalan independent, nonprofit. Its mission is to serve university Guatemalan men and women through teaching, research and social outreach, actions that are always illuminated by Christian values and the spirit characteristic of the Jesuit educational tradition.
Taking the region as a backdrop, Landivar community seeks to contribute to the transformation of the Guatemalan and Central American society, promoting human spaces increasingly fairer and freer. It is this search which is the source of your creativity and your joy to investigate, learn, teach, learn, serve and act ethically mind.
URL's work responds to the demands of a multiethnic Guatemala conceived as characterized by the urgency of peace, economic development and social development, to the extent of human beings and human beings, and policy development within a democratic and respect human rights, environment care and openness to criticism of the contemporary trends of globalization and major international agreements.
The URL you feel your faith in the dual capacity of education, half committed to the process of transmitting values and knowledge from generation to generation, and as a tool for innovation. Both criteria apply them to strengthen the Guatemalan cultural identity and to overcome the quality of processes and incorporate science and contemporary techniques to the development of the country, linking their academic work with the productive sectors of Guatemala.
To fulfill its mission, the University is committed to:
1. Said in his Catholic vocation, ensuring institutional form of Christian presence in the university and support the work of the Church toward the great problems and challenges of society.
2. Income and promote the comprehensive development of students, on their own inclination or training, are potential agents of transformation of the Guatemalan and Central American society to make it more humane, more just and more democratic.
3. Forming ethical professionals, competent in the exercise of their profession and work, open to change, with critical skills, responsive to the continuous updating of knowledge, committed to their country and in solidarity with human beings and their needs.
4. Keep the quality of the curriculum, with special emphasis on teaching pedagogy through a dynamic, creative and relevant, focusing on student learning and it requires an active role, and that, by capturing the essential elements of which we live, favors, beyond the accumulation of knowledge, creative adaptation and anticipation for the future.
5. Have academic staff - administrative deeply imbued with their mission and committed to academic tasks, to provide comprehensive learning students and the achievement of quality research designed to meet the realities of Guatemala and Central America.
6. Strengthening capacity for research, promoting the study of the main problems affecting the country and Central America.
7. Offer graduate and other academic programs intended to specialize and update professionals in areas of national priority.
8. Promote the upgrading of its graduates through continuing education programs to strengthen their professional capacity, Landivar identity and spirit of service to society.
9. Expanding the social implications of academic units, through actions aimed at treating and proposed solutions of national problems, especially from an interdisciplinary perspective.
10. Strengthen communication between university life and the world of business, labor, the media and public services.
11. University provide a forum for study and discussion of proposed solutions to requirements, such as the promotion of ethics and Christian values, eradication of poverty, monitoring and development of the Peace Accords, promotion and respect for pluriethnicity, adaptation and generation of appropriate technology, sustainable socioeconomic development, environmental care and consolidation of democracy.
12. Strengthen and expand its service to society and the integral formation of students through activities in the fields of religion, culture, technology, art, work, sport and science.
13. Contribute through their presence and university services to the integral development of the country.
14. Modernize its organizational structure and procedures academic, administrative and financial.
15. Diversify their funding sources and increase their financial resources to facilitate excellence in service.