Universidad de Cuenca
University description (as per official university website)
The University of Cuenca is located in the capital of the province of Azuay, in turn head of the central-southern Ecuador.
Created by legislative decree of 15 October 1867, the University of Cuenca was originally called the University Corporation of Azuay. Progressive sectors led by the first rector of the institution, Dr. Benigno Malo Valdivieso, seeking the beginning of a new education and development of the region, free from the shackles of centralism. Around 1887, the positivity generated the creation of chairs implemented under the leadership of German teachers hired for this purpose. In 1890 he organized the Faculty of Sciences, where he developed the teaching of pure and applied mathematics, and physical and natural sciences.
Under the impact of the Liberal Revolution of 1895, the Public Education Act, in June 1897 establishes a recognition of the actual condition of the Corporation University of Azuay, which for a time called Universidad del Azuay. At that time there was a new social actor, student, given widespread in the continent to Argentina's Cordoba Reform in 1918, and a student representation is admitted to the University in October 1919. Since 1926, now in its final name of the University of Cuenca, fully incorporates the principle of autonomy.
1940, and always keeping in focus the development of the region, the University created the School of Mines (1935) and the Faculty of Mathematics and Physical Sciences (1939) with the School of Civil Engineering. To support the training of secondary teachers, in 1952 founded the School of Philosophy and Education Sciences. Establishing the School of Industrial Chemistry in 1953. In 1958 he founded the School of Architecture and Planning, of central importance in the urban redevelopment of Cuenca. In the early 60's, as the School of Economics. To encourage the recruitment of women to higher education, establishing the School of Nursing and Social Work in 1968.
Given the unrest in actively participating student sectors, the dictatorial government of José María Velasco Ibarra state universities closed in June 1970, a situation that continues on into early 1971.
After the reopening of universities, and to support technical and social growth of the region creates University School of Business Administration (1971), Electrical Engineering (1972), Sociology (1975), Medical Technology, Agricultural Engineering and Medicine Veterinary (1979), the latter currently integrated in the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences. In 1974, the University had been integrated into their academics and students within the Southern Cone dictatorships pursued by the military.
In the 80's are formed School of Advanced Accounting (1981), PE (1987) and Visual Arts (1988). Same time, promotes the institutionalization of scientific research with the Institute for Social Research (1976). In 1980 and 1983 created the Research Institute of Technical Sciences (1980) and Health Sciences (1983). In 1996, these agencies are part of the Institute for Scientific Research, now called the Department of Research at the University of Cuenca (IUCD).
Instances with the passing of the years have been necessary transformations to become today in 11 faculties and offer about 50 courses in all areas of knowledge.
In the early twenty-first century, an overall perspective to suggest that the University of Cuenca has long transcended the regional level. Ecuadorian students and various nationalities are formed in Faculties of Law, Medicine, Architecture and Urbanism, Engineering, Chemistry, Agricultural Sciences, Dentistry, Economics, Philosophy and Education, Arts and the newest Faculty, Science Hospitality (2008) who was born of Tourism and Food Program. Besides institutes Language and Physical Education.
Graduate Division has an organized academic policies of the fourth level, and a Department of Information Technology Development in charge of training and application of information technology.
To strengthen the cultivation of the arts, the University has a Chamber Orchestra, a polyphonic choir, dance groups, theater groups, among a series of artistic expressions that were born in the various faculties and strengthen their daily presence and attitude.