Escuela Politecnica Nacional
University description (as per official university website)
National Polytechnic School was founded on August 27, 1869 by President García Moreno, who was supported by the Superior of the Society of Jesus. The nascent Polytechnic was conceived as the first center for teaching and research, and integrating body as the body of the country and national development generator. German was the Provincial of the Order of the Society of Jesus, who sent to Ecuador for the nascent Polytechnic, a team of young scholars and religious, with a relevant scientific background, coupled with an unwavering work ethic and a copy of identification with the country . They were: the German Juan Bautista Menten, first dean, director, German and Italian Teodoro Wolf Luis Sodiro.
In its first stage has a very short existence. On September 15, 1876, President Borrero closes due to political reasons. On February 28, 1935, President Velasco Ibarra signed a decree to reopen the EPN, for studies of mathematics, cosmography, Physics, Applied Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Mining Engineering and Geology. On June 4, 1946 by a decree issued by President Velasco Ibarra in the second bench, change the name of the Polytechnic Institute of National Polytechnic School, with whom he has been working non-stop today.
Until 1960, the EPN operated in a small building on the Alameda, in an area of 600 square meters, which were the classrooms, laboratories and administrative offices. Worked the Faculties of Electrical Engineering, Chemistry and took his first steps the Institute of Nuclear Sciences
The Polytechnic Campus "José Rubén Orellana Ricaurte" is located in the central-eastern sector of Quito, in the parish of La Floresta. The EPN has an approximate area of 152 thousand square meters and main entrance adjacent to the Coliseum on the street Rumiñahui Ladrón de Guevara E11 - 253. The construction area is 67489 meters square, corresponding to laboratories, research centers, classrooms, libraries, administrative offices, workshops, theater, sports, etc. It also has four additional gateways located at:
Calle Isabel la Catolica and Veintimilla (Entry Faculty of Electrical Engineering)
Calle Alfredo Mena Caamaño and Andalusia (Entry School Technologists)
Calle Andalucia (Input Faculty of Chemical Engineering and Agro-Industry)
Ladrón de Guevara Street (Entrance Faculty of Civil Engineering)
The heart of the National Polytechnic School is the administrative building, located in the southeastern part of campus, there run the Rector, Vice President, Administrative Board, Commissions and Teaching Research-Extension, the Computer Center and some offices of various academic departments.