University description (as per official university website)
Historical roots and present State University
San Buenaventura in Colombia
Luis Carlos Mantilla. 1986 *
The University of San Buenaventura was born in Bogota in the late seventeenth century, as the College of San Buenaventura. "The faculty came from the legitimate aspirations of the Franciscan Province of the New Kingdom of Granada to have their own higher education center, where they profess the teachings of the Franciscan school, focusing on the pairing of their teachers more representative: San Buenaventura and the BeatoJuan Duns Scotus "
Gets its name from the famous teacher and Doctor of the Church, San Buenaventura, born in Bagnoregio (Italy) in 1221 and died in Lyon (France) in 1274, who as knowledgeable, interpret and transform the culture of their time, knowledge joined of science with the experience and spreading the Gospel, convinced deque study and science are essential to the Franciscan ideal. With this clarity, provided the development and organization of the Franciscan Order.
The University of San Buenaventura in Colombia was founded by the Franciscan Order under "Special Order" Definitory de1688 Franciscan Provincial, by which it determined "that in Santa Fe, was erected and form a school with lofty title Dr San Buenaventura "His leadership and was built by Fray Diego Barroso in 1708.
She earned her recognition as an institution fully incorporated in the General Chapter of the Franciscan Order meeting in Valladolid, Spain in 1740 and was approved by the Spanish Crown Royal Charter by Fernando VI, in 1747, "in which students were recognized at the secular legitimately appear or courses to obtain their respective degrees at the University of those kingdoms "In Bogotá worked continuously until the nineteenth century, when the national government of General Tomás Cipriano de Mosquera ordered the suppression of religious communities by Decree of 5 November 1861.
The Franciscan presence in the cultural life of Colombia could not be extinguished by the suppression of religious communities as their roots deep in the soil of the country since 1550, were able to withstand any adversity. In the late nineteenth century, a small group of monks attached to its vocation as followers of San Francisco and Jacinto agglutinated by Fray Ramon Avila, managed to revive the flame of the Franciscan school.
A century later, in 1961, the College was restored with the Faculty of Philosophy, through Agreement No. 16 June 14 194. In 1973 the Colegio Mayor de San Buenaventura requested a change of name to University of San Buenaventura, a request that was accepted and ratified by Decree 1729 of August 30, 1973.
In 1975, by Resolution 1326 of March 25, issued by the Ministry of Education, the wording of Decrees 125 and 1277 of 1973, was recognized as "non-profit foundation, managed since its inception by the Franciscan Province of the Santa Fe de Colombia, which by the training activity contributes to the promotion and development of education in Colombia. "
According to Article 19 of Act 30 of 1992 retains its status as a university. Has your primary residence and headquarters in Bogotá and Sectionals in the cities of Medellin, Cali and Cartagena. In accordance with the provisions of the Organic Statute may establish new Sectional Schools and Programs and radiate its action elsewhere in the Republic of Colombia.
* UNIVERSITY OF SAN BUENAVENTURA: Bonaventure Education Project, Cali, 1998. MANTLE, Luis Carlos: Roots historical and present state of the University of San Buenaventura in Colombia. Bogotá: USB Publications, 1986.
St. Bonaventure University is a higher education institution that develops and provides high quality services to meet the needs of society, affirms their identity at the confluence of three substantial dimensions: its being a university student, his being Catholic and being a Franciscan .
As a University
Considers essential in its action, the constant search for truth, creative activity, the serious and objective analysis of reality, the scientific rigor and the intrinsic value of science and research, critical examination of knowledge and application the same community development '25. Performs the functions of teaching, research, outreach and institutional well-being infused into these functions the ethical, aesthetic, social and religious, and assumed to be fundamental issues of university: the autonomy of knowledge, the corporate, research, creation and the transformation of society through knowledge.
Considers essential in its action, the constant search for truth, creative activity, the serious and objective analysis of reality, the scientific rigor and the intrinsic value of science and research, and critical examination of knowledge and their application development community. "Performs the functions of teaching, research, and outreach and institutional welfare experiencing them ethical, aesthetic, social, religious, and assumes as fundamental issues of being a university, universality and autonomy knowledge, the corporate, research and creation.
Conceives of the university community as a center of comprehensive development and "reaffirmed the primacy of the person in the organization of society and the state" 26, "says the Christian presence in the university world confronting the great problems of society and culture, affirms its fidelity to the Christian message as presented by the Church, which gives particular significance to culture and science and gives priority to dialogue between the Gospel, science and the various cultures in Colombia.
Consider Jesus Christ as the center of the cosmos and of history proclaims the universal brotherhood of creatures and reverence for creation, promotes simplicity in the development of relations between members of the university community and through its various activities, education in love for life, justice, peace, freedom, service to others and for the protection and preservation of the environment. Therefore, assumed to be essential culture of sensitivity, the practical orientation of knowledge, the immersion of the task in the particular environment, developing an attitude toward life centered on serving others and fostering simplicity in relations between the Bonaventure community members.
To fulfill the mission, the University is drawn principles, objectives and axiology.
St. Bonaventure University is a community dedicated to Higher Education:
• Contribute to the safeguarding and development of human dignity and cultural heritage through research, education and the services offered at local, national and international.
• believes, in its action, the constant search for truth, creative activity, serious and objective analysis of reality, scientific rigor, the intrinsic value of science and research, critical examination of knowledge and the application of the same community development.
• It is a center of life and not just a house of knowledge, scientific and technological training. Consequently, the development of its investigation, teaching, outreach and institutional well looked to their administrators, teachers, students and staff of the institution, practical experience of aesthetic, social, ethical and religious.
• Considers it essential to study and search for proposed solutions to the problems of society, with a view to promoting comprehensive Colombian man, and reaffirms the primacy of the individual in the organization of society and state.
• It is open to everyone on equal opportunities, academic ability and evidence of fulfilling humanistic enough to be cohesive and dynamic members.
• Respect the freedom of conscience and does not discriminate on grounds of creed, ethnicity, gender or social or economic status.
• Take a duty, to radiate and foster virtues that underpin the Colombian national identity while respecting and promoting the diverse cultural forms and the uniqueness of the regions.
• promotes Christian presence in the university world confronting the great problems of society and culture, affirms its fidelity to the Christian message as presented by the Church and gives priority to dialogue between the Gospel and the various cultures in Colombia.
• Recognizes the religion as an integral part of the history and culture of mankind in general and Colombia in particular. The relationship between cultures led him to explore the content of Revelation and Nature, making the joint effort of intelligence and faith allows its members to achieve the full measure of his humanity.
• Affirm their identity with the Franciscan charism, under which considers Jesus Christ as the center of the cosmos and of history proclaims the universal brotherhood of creatures and reverence for creation, promotes simplicity in the development of relations between university community members and through its various activities encourages the exercise of Freedom, Justice and Peace.
• Develop programs and activities, consistent with their status, providing social services to the community in which it is immersed.
• To instill in members of the university community unblemished spirit of justice, human solidarity and social commitment.
• Serving as teaching, through the generation and knowledge construction, using different methodologies, interrelating the humanistic and technology, developing studies of each profession and creating space for interdisciplinary activity.
• Undertake research examining the roles of past cultural achievements, encouraging the pursuit of new knowledge and methods, and promoting critical thinking, knowing that science is in constant development.
• Conduct outreach scientific, cultural and service to society.
• Making the Bonaventure graduate becomes a factor of scientific, cultural, economic, political and ethical in regional and national levels.
The University promotes actions to promote aesthetic values, social, ethical and religious. To do this:
• Assume and requires respectful interpersonal relationships as an expression of genuine community life.
• Live the Christian ethic in all its actions and decisions.
• Develop the teaching of the Christian and Franciscan values to ensure a comprehensive and holistic conception of man from the perspective of brotherhood and social justice.
• Build institutional history founded on Jesus Christ, that man experience and strive to implement the Gospel.
• Leads axiological growth processes of rejection and denunciation of all forms of corruption, dishonesty, injustice, discrimination and exclusion.
• Proposes, respects and supports reflections and actions to promote life and human rights.
Bonaventure Education Project, in accordance with its institutional mission and the purpose of taking higher education for the XXI century, the University of San Buenaventura is:
The University of San Buenaventura, in their eyes and Franciscan Catholic man in the world of science, is a recognized leader in knowledge management, focusing on human development.
In the year 2017 will be a recognized university in the country and internationally for its innovative teaching, research production, scientific quality, relevance of their undergraduate and graduate programs and their impact on processes of social transformation.