University description (as per official university website)
The first faculty to start work was Architecture in 1956, followed by Mechanical Engineering and Petroleum Engineering in 1962. On September 26, 1956, by Resolution No. 2959, The Ministry of Education, recognizes programs of the Faculty of Economics and Finance and authorizes the issuance of certificates and diplomas issued by the Faculty. Eight years later in 1970 and 1971, with experience and academic quality of the American University programs are approved Industrial Engineering and Chemical Engineering .
The Economics Program of the University Foundation of America is the oldest in the country being legally recognized by the Ministry of Education in 1956. The professional competence of its graduates has been extended knowledge in the country, mainly in central Bogota political and economic power where decisions are made nationally in the public and private, always having a position in the labor market.
Since its inception the American University always kept in mind the fact of having an open space to discuss cooperative arrangements with other institutions. A particular achievement was the creation of the Colombian Association of Universities and became an alliance of scientific efforts and académicos.La University of America has been geared to streamline their development plans and programs by academics, scientists, cultural and physical infrastructure, with to provide increasingly higher quality of education provided and the training of human beings as well as tal.Fue in 1985 University of America began to develop and implement internal processes of self-evaluation. Thus in 1990 he established the System Assessment of American University and established the Directorate of System and additional units. The whole process was guided by criteria developed by the Icfes and the Colombian Association of Universities.
Since 1999, were inscribed with the specializations of the University and, after hard work and constant not only to bring one of the most modern venues in the country but to make principals and teachers of the highest caliber, last August 13, 2005 began classes in the Tower of Graduate Studies
American University's mission is to provide teaching, conduct research and make university outreach and education.
The educational, scientific and cultural attends American University and service to respect for human dignity, protection of responsible freedom, the cult of spiritual values, to the dictates of science and culture and tenets of Christian civilization.
Awaken in students a reflective spirit, geared towards personal autonomy in a context of freedom of thought which takes into account the universality of knowledge and characteristics of cultural forms in the country.
Integrally formed to learners in the values of personal responsibility, professional ethics, of civic and social solidarity.
Promote a balanced education that provides all students with the means to develop harmoniously his intelligence, his will, his spiritual life, their sociability, their ethical and aesthetic and physical balance.
Caring for higher education to develop ethical criteria in ensuring respect for human values and society.
The university administration wants to be characterized by a sustained effort for quality, both in terms of academic preparation as training of the person as such, his ability to think, to understand and to act beneficially for their peers.
• Contribute to the organization and progress of education in Colombia.
• Provide and advance higher education programs in the categories of undergraduate, graduate and continuing education.
• Serve in other forms and levels of education that are the result of the progress of science, culture, educational innovation and authorized by law.
• Waking up in a spirit reflective learners, the achievement of personal autonomy within a framework of freedom of thought which takes into account the universality of knowledge and characteristics of cultural forms in the country.
• Training learners fully in the values of personal responsibility, professional ethics, of civic and social solidarity.
• Promote a balanced education that provides all students the means to develop harmoniously his intelligence, his will, his spiritual life, their sociability, their ethical and aesthetic and physical balance.
• Make sure that higher education is developed within ethical standards to ensure respect for human values and society.
Strengthening the roots of Colombian nationality.
Cult of knowledge and nature.
University community service.
Human dignity and responsible freedom.
Quality and academic excellence.