University description (as per official university website)
The University of Atacama was created in 1981 on the basis of Copiapo headquarters of the former State Technical University. In turn, this came from the merger of the former School of Mines of Copiapo, founded in 1857, a historic career in the service of Chilean mining and Copiapo Normal School, founded in 1905, providing first class teaching our country.
Universidad de Atacama is an institution of higher education, legal status and own assets, public and governed by its own constitution, which indicate that its purpose is "education and superior culture of the arts and letters sciences. " It is also subject to the Constitutional Organic Law of Education and as a state institution, the Constitutional Organic Law on Foundations of State Administration, the Administrative Staff and the supervision and control of administrative acts by the Comptroller General of the Republic .
He is a member of the Council of Rectors of Chilean Universities, part of the Consortium of State Universities, the Association of Regional Universities of Chile and the Governing Council of the North zone macro. At the international level, member of the Board of Regents for the integration of the subregion of South America Midwest (Crisco), the Regional Network of Latin American Universities (UREL) and the International Association of Universities.
Physically, the University has its headquarters in Copiapo territorially decentralized campuses in the cities of Vallenar, Caldera and Santiago.
The visual identity system of the University of Atacama consists of the symbol or institutional shield. The heraldic shield of the University refers to the institutional history and projection. Corresponds to a strict code, which has been maintained since the beginning of the corporation. The three stars located in the top of the shield represent the origin of the University of Copiapo Normal School, School of Mines, and finally, the State Technical University. The hammers are for tools used by miners at the bottom is a date that corresponds to the year of the founding of the School of Mines.
On December 25, 1851, "The Copiapo" makes its grand entrance to our city, after three-hour trip across the desert from the port of Caldera, but only during the first days of January 1852 gave the public the important means of transportation, thus becoming, in the first railway in South America.
His contribution to economic development in this area, at the height of the exploitation of mineral Cha˝arcillo Silver and copper mining incipient make "The Copiapo" a monument and historical relic deserved rest in the shade of the centuries-old palm trees the gardens of the legendary longed and School of Mines, now the University of Atacama.
This historic locomotive, manufactured in North America in the workshops of Norris Brothers, Philadelphia, came to our country in June 1851. Installation work of the railway began in March 1850 which reached final length of around 81 kilometers.
The Palace of Christ's vineyard is home to the Old Vine of Christ, built in 1860 to Apolinario Soto, owner of Tres Puntas silver mine, which followed in importance Cha˝arcillo. It was a McMansion in the province, Georgian South America. It is constructed of wood and gesso. The fašade with Corinthian columns and wrought iron balconies of New Orleans inspiration. Inside, a spiral staircase of fine wood shows a single realization. Today it is home to the Corporation for the Promotion of the University of Atacama.
It tells the story, the existence of a unique pet, which being naturally of prey, live together and managed to brighten the lives of those living at that time the School of Mines. The year was 1947 and March, when through a spontaneous collection among the faculty, students and school personnel was acquired Condorito.
At that time, was a pullet Condorito three kilos and 2 months old, having only a very thin coat of fuzz suit. Just managed to change their delicate plumage, was devoted to learning to fly, using the roofs of the old school as a runway, causing damage to innocent electrical character more than once left in darkness the outbuildings.
Nothing more beautiful was seeing when this majestic bird, with its feeble wings rocked for the first time in the air, encouraging the young students cheering miners who were on that flight, deep and down, reflecting the spirit of overcoming that as motto of life we inherited from our elder brothers of the School of Mines of Copiapo.