University description (as per official university website)
Arturo Prat University, founded in 1967, is continuation of the Professional Institute of Iquique (founded in 1981), referred to the seat instead of a smaller and younger at the University of Chile. It has, therefore, with an institutional history of over forty years, his work directing the training of professionals, graduate students and technicians, as well as research and extension.
Our Corporation University, a member of the Council of Rectors of Chilean Universities Traditional comprises its Headquarters located in Iquique, in addition to the headquarters of Arica, Calama, Antofagasta, Santiago, Victoria.
Universidad Arturo Prat, state, founded in the Tarapaca Region, whose mission
The academic excellence with an emphasis on continuing education, promoting the generation, transfer and dissemination of science, humanities, technology and the arts, serving the social, cultural and economic development of individuals, communities and regional country, thereby promoting sustainable development processes.
In his work promotes social mobility, the link with indigenous peoples, cross-border integration and cultural diversity.
Arturo Prat University aims to:
Being recognized for the training of professionals and graduate of excellence, able to contribute actively in the processes of regional development, nationally and globally, promoting in them the values of democracy, human rights and social and environmental responsibility.
Be standard in training and in the generation and application of scientific knowledge in various areas related to the development of the Region of Tarapaca and the country, with emphasis on those related to geographic and socio-cultural environment of the desert, sea and border reality.
• The UNAP sustained development in priority subject areas, focusing its management to optimize their resources and organizational capabilities.
• The UNAP in their academic activities promotes standards of academic quality and economic viability of institutional management.
• The UNAP maintains a centralized model of decision which provides guidelines and sets standards for use and development of institutional resources functions and support units to the academic management.
• The UNAP, for the development of their subject areas, based the decision making process related to the generation and academic management, in the respective units with collective bodies. The institution supports this process through senior management.
• The UNAP stimulates the formulation and development of multi projects, inter-and trans-disciplinary, complementing and integrating the work of the various academic units to institutional and regional development.
• The UNAP driving assessment activities, control and monitoring corporate management
In the main house there are thirteen academic units, ten departments and three schools that perform functions of teaching, research and links to which are attached careers and graduate programs.
* - Department of Physics and Mathematics.
* - Department of Agriculture in the Desert
* - Department of Marine Sciences
* - Department of Chemistry
* - Engineering Department
* - Department of Social Sciences
* - Department of Information Systems Audit and
* - Department of Economics and Management.
* - Department of Education and Humaniodades
* - Department of Physical Education and Sports
* - School of Nursing
* - School of Law
* - School of Architecture
There are also other academic units whose functions relate to postgraduate teaching activities, research and / or academic outreach.
* - Institute of International Studies (INTE)
* - Institute of Health Studies
* - Institute of Science and Technology of Puerto Montt
* - Institute of Science and Design Technology
* - Institute of Andean Studies, Isluga.
* - Research Centre of Man in the Desert (CIHD)
* - Multimedia Center for the Disabled (CEMDIS)
* - Center for Research on Environment (CENIM)
* - Centro Cultural Palacio Astoreca Extension
* - Modern School of Arts and Communication.
In summary, the Universidad Arturo Prat is an institution with tradition and presence throughout the country, with significant experience, seriousness and reliability in academic work, maintaining relationships with many different public and private sector