University description (as per official university website)
UNIJUÍ. Here begins the walk for a university to learn, opportunities and objectives. A university knowledge. A space for interaction, where their participation is part of the process for building a democratic and modern society. Being a university is to be connected in his time, a time that is always one step ahead. You need to be updated to keep up. Complete projects and dreams that university which takes advantage of a field for personal and professional development. Being in UNIJUÍ is to have a full university with a qualified teaching staff, laboratories and high end adequate infrastructure, distributed in its four campuses and two university centers. On this path, know UNIJUÍ.
On June 28, 1985 to UNIJUÍ started their activities as an Institution of Higher Education, University of Ijuí call. A decree published in the Official Gazette of that date, the then Education Minister, Marco Maciel, knew the character of the University UNIJUÍ, as named by Tancredo Neves' first university in the New Republic. " On October 20 the same year, the ceremony took place the official installation UNIJUÍ held at Gymnastics Society Ijui, attended by the minister.
The trajectory of pioneer UNIJUÍ is marked by commitment to the regional reality principle inherited from the Capuchin who, together with regional leaders sought alternatives for the provision of higher education in the region. The installation of the Faculty of Philosophy, Sciences and Letters Ijuí (FAFI) on March 16, 1957, consolidates the efforts and commitment of the group founder. In 1969, by deed, the assets of the Foundation is FAFI Integration, Development and Education of Northwest State of Rio Grande do Sul (FIDENE), which today has UNIJUÍ, the Anthropological Museum Director Pestana (madp) the Center for Basic Education Francis of Assisi (EFA), and Educational Radio UNIJUÍ (Unijuí FM).
In 1993, another landmark in the history of UNIJUÍ. After the formalization of several campus and regional character, becomes the North West Regional University of Rio Grande do Sul, later expanding its recognition at the regional campuses Ijuí Panambi, Santa Rosa and Three Steps, and through the University Centers Saint Augustus and Tenente Portela.
Consolidate itself as a community college, public non-state referenced by the excellence of their actions and the organic and integrated into the development process in the region.
Train and qualify professionals with technical excellence and critical social consciousness, capable of contributing to the integration and development of the region.
Participate in the development process of the region for higher education.
a) Academic excellence characterized by qualifying the programs, projects and activities of the University.
b) Autonomy university that is expressed in the freedom of thought and action.
c) Democratic management which is expressed in collective decision-making and respect for institutional mechanisms for self-management of the University.
d) humanistic training that shows the commitment to their project of the University reflexive and facing human achievement.
e) Social Responsibility revealed in integration with the regional community and its various segments.
Goals and Strategies
1. Strengthen the institutional project of the University Community
2. Strengthen interdisciplinarity in design and implementation of institutional programs and actions.
3. Consolidate itself as a benchmark of excellence in undergraduate education
4. Consolidate itself as a benchmark of excellence in postgraduate education.
5. Qualify the research groups of the University and encourage the development of projects aimed to meet the expectations of the academic community and the demands of the region.
6. Increase participation of the university in the national scientific community and the establishment of networks of international exchange
7. Develop outreach programs that enable the ongoing socialization of regional knowledge and performance.
8. Consolidate the area of distance education - distance education - the University.
9. Improving the system of democratic management of the university.
10. Qualify the teaching staff and technical and administrative support.
11. Qualify the physical, technological and academic university.
12. Improve the structure for administration and management of university activities.
13. Strengthening regional action with the qualification structure of several campus.