Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul
Porto Alegre, Brazil
University description (as per official university website)
The Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, based in Porto Alegre, capital of Rio Grande do Sul, is a century-old institution, recognized nationally and internationally. Teaches courses in all areas of knowledge and in all levels, from elementary school to postgraduate.
The qualifications of its faculty, composed mostly of teachers and doctors, the continuous updating of the infrastructure of laboratories and libraries, the increase in the student assistance, as well as the prioritization of its insertion national and international policies are constantly evolving.
By moving their buildings every day, about 30,000 people seeking one of the most qualified education in the country. This, coupled with research, with recognized standards of excellence, and the extension, which provides diversified activities to the community, makes the UFRGS reach high levels of evaluation.
UFRGS, as a public institution in the service of society and committed to the future and with critical awareness, respect differences, and emphasizes experimentation, particularly, reaffirms its commitment to education and knowledge production, inspired by the ideals of freedom and solidarity .
The story begins with the foundation UFRGS School of Pharmacy and Chemistry in 1895 and then the School of Engineering. Thus began, also, higher education in Rio Grande do Sul Even in the nineteenth century, were founded the Medical School of Porto Alegre and the Faculty of Law, in 1900, marked the beginning of humanities courses in the state. But only on November 28, 1934, was established the University of Porto Alegre, built initially by the School of Engineering, with the Institutes of Astronomy, Electrical and Industrial Chemistry, Faculty of Medicine, with the Schools of Dentistry and Pharmacy, Faculty of Law , with its School of Commerce, Faculty of Agronomy and Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Philosophy, Sciences and Letters and the Institute of Fine Arts.
The third great moment of transformation of this University was in 1947 when he was named University of Rio Grande do Sul, URGS, incorporating the Faculties of Law and Dentistry of Pelotas and the Faculty of Pharmacy of Santa Maria. Later, these units were the disembodied URGS with the creation of the University of Pelotas and Universidade Federal de Santa Maria. In December 1950, the University was federalized, from the administrative sphere of the Union Since then, UFRGS - Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul began to occupy a prominent position, on the national stage as one of the largest budgets of the State of Rio Grande do Sul and in publications such as the first and second in scientific output between the federal, considering the number of teachers.