University description (as per official university website)
The clearing of the Midwest, Southern Brazil and the Northern Plateau of Santa Catarina started at the beginning of last century when the colonial process installed different cultures associated with several initiatives in the economic, social and educational. The various initiatives of colonization generated forms of development and very significant expansion throughout this region. Decisive factor for economic growth and human development in the region was the implementation of Higher Education through five Higher Education Institutions in the 70's.
The institutions, created by their municipalities by municipal law, were the foundations with legal personality from public and private nature of the right to maintain separate colleges: The foundations were created at the time:
Canoinhas: Foundation School Plateau in northern Santa Catarina FUNPLOC-07.12.70;
Hunter: Educational Foundation of the Upper River Valley Fish-FEARP on 23.09.71;
Mafra, Santa Catarina State University Foundation North-FUNORTE on 04.11.71;
Concordia: Educational Foundation of the Upper Uruguay in Santa Catarina-FEAUC 09.04.76;
Curitiba: Educational Foundation of the Central Plateau of Santa Catarina-FEPLAC on 24.06.76.
This initiative constituted a decisive factor for the regional history of the communities covered by them. These institutions were created by the determination of communities and aiming to promote the process of cultural and technical-scientific development in the region. There came for determination of the central government or by private or individual initiatives. Born of the set of its local and regional community leaders. So are their essences COMMUNITY.
Throughout those years, each institution has developed an intense and growing in relation to activities of higher education in their areas of coverage. Due to the needs presented, courses have been developed, initially predominantly in the area of education (undergraduate), and later in other areas of knowledge. In the 70s and 80s, these institutions have implemented 20 courses with 26 majors.
Were developed courses Postgraduate Sensu Lato in the 80's, with the aim of teachers and professionals specializing in educational, business, social and health.
Higher education in the 70 and 80 was responsible for the formation of almost all the teachers who worked in elementary and high school in the region and the top-level professionals working in the tertiary sector of the regional economy.
Improperly, but growing, outreach programs were developed, demonstrating that the institutions, besides teaching, they needed support and implement other areas and sectors of communities. In view of technical and human capacity working in the field of education, community organizations and institutions have sought external expert services, particularly focused on education, business and community sectors in the region.
The research developed in these two decades was very modest. Institutions only recently have doctors and teachers on its staff with a willingness to search. Few research projects have emerged, occurring to the extent that institutions have begun to worry about the institutionalization of this activity and to hire some full-time teachers.
The academic experience in teaching, research and extension, acquired in that period created conditions for these institutions together create the largest single project: A UNIVERSITY several campus.
As established in recognition of his project, the University of the Contested by entering into an institutional design perspective and process design, develop its policies and programs on the following objectives:
1 -) General :
- Promote the deepening and spread of sciences, arts and culture through education, research and extension;
- Contribute to strengthening the social, political and cultural communities of the region;
- Institutionalize mechanisms of interaction between the university and institutions specialized in scientific and cultural areas, economic and social development;
- Creating alternative promotion and strengthening of institutions and regional development;
- Develop the basic sciences as strategies that support the scientific and technological development.
2 -) Specific :
- Promoting integrated actions between the university and the productive sectors in the pursuit of professional expertise and technology;
- Develop permanent programs for the promotion of technical and professional development for enterprises and institutions;
- Develop strategies to support educational planning of the state and municipal;
- Promote the training of leaders and education professionals in the region of the Contested;
- Develop research programs on the history and culture of the Contested;
- Promote with other organizations, integrated regional plans.
The SKU mission is to provide the concrete conditions of society development in the scientific, technical and cultural, from the reinterpretation of the past, establishing roots and seeking alternative ways to shape the future growth and enable socio-economic and political-cultural scope of its coverage.