University description (as per official university website)
FEMA was founded on April 21, 1949, under the name Institute Machado de Assis, on the initiative of leading educational, business, community and authorities of the 1st RC MEC, to meet the demand of students who worked during the day and needed a junior high school at night.
Its main objectives are:
· The design, installation and maintenance of institutions of all grades;
· contribution to improving the quality of education in the region;
· The contribution to the improvement of cultural, scientific and technological development in the region;
· Opportunity to qualify, qualify and improve the manpower to meet the needs and interests of private and public enterprises in the region;
· Promote education in all grades and improve their quality;
· To become a center for studies and research aimed at the professional qualification in line with the needs and expectations of the region;
· Improving the quality of courses and services offered and organize the creation and deployment of others in accordance with the interests of the region;
· Provide all resources and conditions necessary for full operation of its courses and services and encourage the training of human resources and their services.
Its first director, was a founding professor Fioravante Pedrazani, who arrived in Santa Rosa on March 1, 1948 to teach at the men's department's Gym Santa Rosa de Lima, and after being appointed to teach at night in the Course of Literacy adolescents and adults realize the necessity of having a college in Santa Rosa with evening classes. With the help of several holy-rosenses established the Machado de Assis.
At that time, the first classes of the Institute Machado de Assis, were held at City Hall and attached to a soap factory. Over time this space could not stand the demands of students, so he rented a part of the premises of Hotel Joner.
Like dreams have no limits and the desire to build something meaningful to Santa Rosa was huge in 1952, the Technical School was officially Machado de Assis, a pioneer in technical education in the region, in 1954 formed the first group of technicians and Accounting.
In 1961 it established the current name: Machado de Assis Educational Foundation and was this year that Fioravante Pedrazani started the process of implementation of Higher Education in Santa Rosa, authorized in 1969, coming on the extent of the PUC from Porte Alegre with the Course Accounting and in 1989, the Course of Art Education, major in Art and Design. Later, they implemented the Course Administration - major in International Trade, and recently Law and Social Work.
Currently, FEMA also offers courses Postgraduate in Personnel Management and Comptroller. But not only formed so that higher education courses at FEMA deployed.
The Technical School Machado de Assis offers courses in Occupational Safety Technician, Computer Technician, Technical and Nursing Technician Trade. New technical courses are already in the plans of the School.
In addition to the Technical School and the Integrated Schools, FEMA with regard to FEMA Educational Radio, which is on air 24 hours a day, and in 2009, completed six years of music, culture and information.
These days, who continues the actions of Fioravante Pedrazani is the President of the Foundation, Mr. Dante Liberali Saul, who was among the first students of the Institute Machado de Assis.
In his 60 years, FEMA is proud to be fulfilling its mission: "To be a benchmark for qualified education in personal development and training, serving the regional community."
FEMA: Community built in history.
Generate, socialize and apply knowledge to be positive benchmark in education, culture and information contributing to the development, citizenship and qualification of people.
Being the center of transformative education that considers the people, their cultures and their history, incorporating the ideals of educators and students in knowledge construction.
Provide options for teaching, research and extension on a permanent basis, promoting institutional development, personal and social.
Act in the process of knowledge construction, meeting the interests and demands of society.
Values and Principles
Acting in concert and cooperation with society;
Ethics and professionalism;