University description (as per official university website)
Since the founding of the College of Agriculture in 1912, until today, the Federal Rural University of Pernambuco (UFRPE) has achieved a collection of good results due to investments in education and research activities and the entrepreneurial vision of the institution. Comprising some 700 teachers, 780 technical and 8,000 students, UFRPE develops its activities for the intensive search of scientific knowledge in the areas of Agricultural Sciences, Humanities and Social, Biological, Exact and Earth, both for the development and education Technology of the State as to meet the needs and aspirations of society.
The institution is headquartered on the campus of Two Brothers, in Recife, and its shares are extended across the state through the Academic units Garanhuns (UAG) and Sierra Talhada (UAST), and advanced campuses, or extensions located in the Coast , Zona da Mata, in the arid zone and in the Hinterland of Pernambuco. The integration between the student body and faculty - consisting of almost all masters and doctors trained at prestigious universities - and the intense activity of research make the University a national center of excellence in the areas it serves. The quality of teaching UFRPE led the University to achieve the status of being among the top 18 Federal Institutions of Higher Education in Brazil, in 2007, and has been recognized by Best Universities Award, Editora Abril, as one of the top three Brazil in Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine.
In the item infrastructure UFRPE offers the academic community at the Central Library (BC) with collection of approximately 59,000 volumes, including books and pamphlets, 1,850 periodical titles and about 600 films and documentaries on tapes and DVDs available of students and faculty. BC is also equipped with computers that enable the operation of equipment through sound, plus a Braille printer, specifically for students with visual limitations.
The structure of the campus is enriched by Two Brothers: Sports Center with semi-Olympic pool, indoor court, soccer field and athletics track, four dormitories with 22 seats for female students and 112 vacancies for males; core health services with specialized laboratories, which provides about 4,380 appointments per month, including medical, dental, psychological, laboratory and clinical social work and nursing to public servants, students and surrounding community; Veterinary Hospital, which performs approximately 600 monthly appointments, including appointments, tests and surgeries on animals from small and medium businesses, as well as animal blood center and center of surgical castration for dogs and cats of the poor.
With the evolution of UFRPE, there was the need for the creation of academic centers in order to internalize the knowledge in the state. Through the expansion program of the federal system of Higher Education, Academic Unit of Garanhuns (UAG) was the first university extension to be installed in the country, in the second half of 2005. In 2006, the Academic Unit was deployed to Sierra Talhada (UAST).
The Rural University also has additional bodies in other regions. On the coast, on the islet of the Crown of the Airplane, the station is installed Migratory Bird Studies and Environmental Resources, the Forest Zone, located at the Experimental Station of Sugar Cane, the Experimental Station of Small Animal and Ecological Station of Tapacurá; Zone of the Wasteland is the Bovine Clinic, and in the backwoods, there Irrigated Agriculture Station.
With so many achievements, the Federal Rural University of Pernambuco must not completed by its target. Although he has consolidated several projects, incessantly produces knowledge in order to offer subsidies to the scientific advancement and social UFRPE The country, through the development of educational policies and social responsibility, complies with mastery, so the role of an institution of higher education: educating citizens
"Exercise of an integrated teaching, research and extension in order to achieve the academic quality, promoting the development of Agricultural Sciences, Biological, Exact and Humanities and the formation of citizens with technical vision, scientific, humanistic, and enterprising, able to tackle challenges and meet the demands of society.''
Known initially as the College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Federal Rural University of Pernambuco (UFRPE) appeared on November 3, 1912. Laid the foundation stone of the building that would house the institution was inaugurated on February 1, 1914, the city of Olinda, by Reverend Abbot of the Monastery of St. Benedict, Bishop Peter Roeser.
Therefore, the course was moved to the Agronomy Mill St. Benedict, a property of the Benedictine Order, located in São Lourenço da Mata, Pernambuco. The course of Veterinary remained in Olinda, composing the Veterinary School of St. Benedict. On December 9, 1936, the College of Agriculture St. Benedict was expropriated, changing its name to College of Agriculture of Pernambuco (ESAP). By Decree No. 82, March 12, 1938, the ESAP was transferred to St. Benedict's Plantation Bairro de Dois Irmãos, Recife, where it remains.
In the 1940s, the success of agricultural and veterinary schools contributed to the creation of the Federal Rural University of Pernambuco (UFRPE) by State Decree 1741 of 24 July 1947, bringing together the Schools of Agriculture, Veterinary School Agrotechnical São Lourenço da Mata and the Course of Rural Home Economics Teaching. Over time, the expansion of knowledge throughout the state, the relevant structural growth and recognition of academic and scientific and educational value have turned this school into a great reference for Higher Education in Pernambuco.
On July 4, 1955, by Federal Law. 2524, the University was then federalized, becoming part of the Federal Agricultural Higher Education. With the enactment of the Federal Decree 60731 of 19 May 1967, the institution was officially renamed as the Federal Rural University of Pernambuco.
Currently, UFRPE continues to expand. The Company offers over 44 undergraduate, 22 at its headquarters in Two Brothers, nine in the Academic Unit of Sierra Talhada (UAST), seven in the Academic Unit of Garanhuns (UAG) Teaching four in the distance. The Graduate Programs are 22, including 34 courses, 13 doctoral and 21 master's degrees.
The university is composed of nearly a thousand teachers, some 900 technicians and an average of 12 000 students, and has developed its activities for the intensive search of scientific knowledge in the areas of Agricultural Sciences, Humanities and Social, Biological, Exact and Earth.