University description (as per official university website)
The Amado began in 1999, offering courses in Business Administration and Accounting. In 2001, already in its new headquarters on Avenida Parallel, assumed the name of an illustrious Bahia, the Brazilian writer Jorge Amado, under the responsibility of the sponsor organization, the Society Bahia Education and Culture (ASBEC).
Today, it offers various courses structured to meet the strict educational guidelines, with a didactic-pedagogical proposal that seeks to prepare professionals with knowledge that excel in their fields. Through its courses and the Jorge Amado firm commitment to ethical and train professionals able to assume the challenges of a changing society, with policies and programs of teaching, research and extension in line with local needs and socio-economic trends Brazilian society.
The institution offers undergraduate courses in the areas of humanities, exact and biological sciences, and some are technological, which offer higher education qualifications within two and a half years. In November 2006, Jorge Amado made an important step by signing a strategic alliance with Whitney International University System, an international organization dedicated to promoting wider access to higher education of high quality.
Whitney is a global network university based in Dallas, Texas (USA), with partners around the world, who works with the objective of offering its students the knowledge necessary to career century. The Whitney has offices and partner institutions in the United States throughout Latin America, North Africa and Middle East.
After nearly a decade of excellence in education, Jorge Amado takes another important step in your success story. The institution runs from May 2008 to establish the University Center Jorge Amado (UNIJORGE). According to Viviane Brito, president of the Society of Education and Culture Bahia S / A (ASBEC), the achievement represents "a fundamental step in the history of Jorge Amado, which has proudly become consolidated as an institution of higher education in national benchmark."
This designation is given only to IES pluricurriculares covering one or more areas of knowledge and have proven qualified faculty. The Amado met all the requirements of the Ministry of Education (MEC) to become a university, including having no application for recognition of course rejected. Like universities, a university has the autonomy to organize and terminate at its headquarters, courses and higher education programs, and can issue the diplomas of graduates from the University Center, making the process happen much faster.
Programs Postgraduate Education and Continuing - The Amado also offers postgraduate courses in the broad sense. The aim of these courses is to improve the professional level, in order to raise the standard of performance and productivity in public, private, third sector, lecturers and also specialize in Higher Education.
In the Continuing Education Program (SGP), there are courses and activities on current issues and innovative, presented in a practical and dynamic approach, which allows students to upgrade their academic and at the same time, share experiences with teachers and peers. At PEC, customized courses are available yet, they seek solutions from educational demands of organizations (governmental or third sector), constructed from a customer perspective, using specific methodology from initial diagnosis to operation.
Proven Quality - Recognition of the MEC, giving up the concept to several courses already paid up, like Law, Tourism, Graphic Design, Communication and Information Systems, reaffirms the commitment of Jorge Amado to quality education. The vast majority of courses offered by Jorge Amado has been recognized by the MEC. Enade In 2005, the courses of Literature and Information Systems have the best concepts of the state of Bahia. The Amado has also obtained recognition from the community for its quality in many areas. In 2004 and 2006 won the Top Stock and, in 2005, Top Marketing, sponsored by ADVB-BA.
Social Commitment - With reference to the mission to train professionals aware of their role and committed to social citizenship, Jorge Amado develops projects together with society, through the Coordination of Social Action. These social responsibility projects together faculty, staff and students in a stream that has improved life in the communities served, benefiting many families.
Among our highlights are:
- Volunteer Centre - promotes volunteerism through the referral of registered students for opportunities in non-governmental organizations and community associations. Today we have over 1,200 registered volunteers, of whom 500 are conducting activities;
- Laboratory for Advanced Bog - Held in the community of the sandbank, the North Coast, the project enables the community to receive tourists and promotes environmental education courses;
- Global Action and National Day of Social Responsibility - during these two days the students and teachers of various courses of Jorge Amado provide many free services to the community;
- Youth and Adult Literacy in White Clay / Imbassaí - through an innovative partnership with the Institute Imbassaí, Retatlântico Group, the Jorge Amado literacy is 70 residents of the communities of White Clay and bedroom property in the municipality of Mata de Sao Joao
Being recognized as a modern institution, bold and innovative, referenced by the excellence of its educational project and its administrative practices and the quality, organization and outcome of all services rendered.
Produce, systematize and disseminate knowledge that contributes to the formation of ethical professionals, entrepreneurs, equipped with critical thinking, cultural sensitivity and creative intelligence, aware of their social, professional and their commitment to citizenship.
The values listed below are the foundation of cultural and ethical, to be the inspiration of the members of Jorge Amado, the conduct of its work.
All members have a responsibility to act as custodians of these values, the intangible heritage left to us by the founders.
The cultural and ethical should enhance the achievements of each of the members who have their styles, their personal brands and to be respected.
Are the values of UNIJORGE
- Belief in the human being able to develop, serve, influence and pursue opportunities on behalf of himself and the institution of society;
- Synergy through coordinated and integrated action and equity in relation to the whole community;
- Clarity on attitudes through communication adequate, relevant and aggregating;
- Working in teams, how smart way to maximize the wealth of services provided by the institution;
- Responsibility to work with the tangible and intangible assets that each has been entrusted by the founders;
- Commitment to quality work, their results and presentation of the same; stance consistent with the mission, vision, organizational values and principles as a model and example for the entire community.