University description (as per official university website)
Before the process of socio-political and economic development of the Metropolitan Region of Salvador (RMS), and especially the Camaçari, became of great importance to establish a process of higher education that could meet the various demands for professional and social it being understood that only the social integration through education would help to overcome the inequalities reflected in a society marked by the concentration of income, unemployment and underemployment.
The introduction of petrochemical activities and other industry activities in the Metropolitan Region of Salvador, represented a new and more powerful factor in stimulating the economy which is mainly reflected in attracting new investment to the industrial and service sectors, creating more opportunities for jobs and propagation effects of modernization on the entire regional economy, ie the largest share of production factors and local economic agents allowing substantial portions of the income generated would be applied internally to produce multiplier effects for the RMS .
Among these agents, there is the manpower whose eligibility is critical to the success of the venture requires better measures to empower the regional workforce, otherwise, the staff needed to care for qualified demand would have to come out the state. Therefore, the absorption capacity of the Industrial Center would lose its significance as a means of reducing unemployment and underemployment in the state of Bahia.
There was therefore a gap in meeting the needs of higher education in Camaçari. With the growing need for training due to the industrial complex deployed in the city, it lacked a center of higher education capable of meeting the emerging demands of development .
Two teachers of Camaçari, pedagogies Celene Maria Helena de Oliveira Santos and de Oliveira Santos, had founded on 28 February 1994 the Educational Center Miguel Alves - CEMA, Education Institution consolidated as the Integrated Center of Education, which prepares for Education kindergarten to high school. Considered, then the urgent establishment of a Higher Education Institution.
The emergence of Famecos not only responded to the need to train qualified individuals to the community, but also coincided with a moment of reflection Brazilian educators and the society on the role of universities as educational institutions and potentiating human beings to act in a context social changing.
Think a higher education institution is thinking about the future of education and its purposes intertwined society that aims in the future, the preparation of citizens to exercise their citizenship, to participate more responsibly in the local community and an international community fully connected by transport and telecommunications.
The Faculty of Education with Teaching Qualification in the matter of the Pedagogical School and the School Supervision and Company was the first allowed to operate at MEC.
In 2001, 04 (four) new courses were approved by the MEC to operate, with entry at the beginning of 2002: Business Administration with specialization in Finance, Production Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering (Automation and Control).
In the year 2003 was approved and implemented the study of law. In 2006, we implemented the Center for Legal Practice, located at Rua May 2 No. 100, District 2 July, which now provides legal services free to the community Camaçari.
In 2005 built its campus. With excellent infrastructure, is endowed with ample parking, common areas, cafeteria, library with study room for individual and collective, various laboratories and classrooms air-conditioned with comfortable furniture.
The year 2005 was remarkable for Famecos because since then the institution has shown its strength and regional scale with the creation of 10 (ten) new courses: Psychology, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Social Communication with emphasis in Public Relations, Communication with emphasis on social and Advertising, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and Oceanography.
In 2008 expanded to free legal assistance provided to the population of the municipality, with the creation of the Circle of Justice and Citizenship, through an agreement signed with the Court of Bahia.
Promote the Metropolitan Region of Salvador - RMS, undergraduate education, graduate education and related services through a political pedagogical project that addresses the interdisciplinary knowledge, research practice, interpersonal relationships, ethics, the integration between theory and practice, entrepreneurship and a vision of the being.
• Ontological Principle - give all belonging to the academic community, the awareness that is necessary and enriching to live with the differences from the understanding that every human being is endowed with characteristics that are inherent to each and all beings.
• Legal principles - respect the laws governing the functioning of society and govern the structure of education.
• Epistemological Principles - remind everyone that knowledge is a result of movement that occurs in the dynamics of the relationships of those involved in the fabric of everyday social and educational.
• Sociocultural Principle - to reaffirm that the socio-cultural diversity is an enriching element of teaching practice, which enables the multiple relationships between different.
• Political-pedagogical principle - to understand the relationships between men and society from a perspective of citizenship and democratic education and knowledge.
ABOUT THE STUDENT
• Recognize the student as the primary goal of all actions of the institution;
• Assisting you in realizing their legitimate aspirations;
• make you aware of their responsibility in building the knowledge and search processing to become an integral being.
ABOUT THE FACULTY
• Recognize the teacher as the principal agent in the formation of students, according to the ethical behavior of its commitment to its function, the application of its powers and its ability to help students to construct knowledge;
• Assisting him in his desire to serve, to learn and develop their attributes, expanding their skills and competencies;
• support you in your willingness to act and not react;
• Create conditions for the teacher to perfect his systemic view of the educational process, correlated with interdisciplinary, with other institutional processes and the supporting organs.
• Recognize that they are the structure that supports the implementation of actions and achievement of institutional goals, depending on their character, responsiveness to the demands made and the effectiveness in performing their duties;
• make them aware that they are part of the educational process and that their actions collaborate in the formation of the student.
• Assisting them in the process of self-improvement.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY
• Interact continuously with the community to identify their needs and seek ways to meet them;
• Develop research projects and extension to accommodate, respectively, the construction of knowledge and the consequent actions that promote benefits to the community.