Escola Bahiana de Medicina e Saúde Pública
University description (as per official university website)
The Bahia School of Medicine and Public Health has its roots tied to the history of medicine in the city of Salvador.
The determination, the long experience and dedication to the health sciences from a group of medical leaders created the Bahia School of Medicine and Public Health. At the time, the region had great shortage of medical professionals. Thus, the school was born in Salvador, more than 56 years.
Committed to quality of education offered and care services rendered to population, so BAHIANAS critical professional, ethical and qualified, both from the standpoint of scientific-technical and human, to build their knowledge and professional referral, as well as to address the challenges and demands of contemporary society.
Having already graduated more than 10,000 health professionals currently Bahiana, as it is affectionately known, he teaches graduate courses in Medicine, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Dentistry, Psychology, Nursing and Biomedicine.
In the Graduate and Research offers a broad program aimed at improving the skills of health professionals, deepening their knowledge and open new prospects for entering the labor market, in addition to preparing his master's and doctoral professionals for teaching and research.
The faculty consists of more than 500 teachers, involving teachers, doctors and experts, updated and trained to ensure high quality teaching, strong tradition of Baiano.
Bahiana has continuously expanded its infrastructure facilities for functional design, fully focused on teaching, research, outreach and assistance, aimed at developing technical, scientific and human pupils and technicians.
The Academic Units Nazareth, sprout and Cabula halls are equipped with classrooms, teaching labs, research labs, computer labs, animal rooms, auditoriums, outpatient service, clinical, libraries containing more than 25,000 books and 60 journal subscriptions, and Internet access to databases of MEDLINE and BIREME, multimedia and video labs, living spaces and Convention Center in Kabul.
In line with the aspirations of society, the institution converge their efforts to a modern role in health, promoting and encouraging education in many ways, with the goal of fully developing the people, preparing them for citizenship and qualifying them to work, promoting science and culture, providing reference services to society and consolidating research and extension activities as permanent significant portion of its faculty, in exchange, including, with other similar institutions.
For these reasons, the development of conscious and continuous BAHIANAS has, throughout its more than 57 years of existence, met the expectations in regional and national human health.
Being an educational institution dedicated to health, creating skilled professionals based on principles and ethical and humanistic values in an individualized and interdisciplinary perspective.
Fulfill their social responsibility by contributing to the socio-cultural and environmental development, seeking to meet the demands of society, from differential actions of teaching, research and extension.
Being a university dedicated to health, national and international reference, with excellence in teaching, research, extension and advisory services.
Expand and disseminate scientific and technological production.
Expand and strengthen partnerships between institutions.
• Make available to listen and welcome people in their differences, demands and needs, committing themselves to the resolution and the code of ethics of the institution;
• Use up promptly of all possibilities and alternatives of all the services offered by the institution and, if not possible, to charge forward in search of the solution;
• Faced with new situations / problems and seek solutions or innovative alternatives;
• Be responsible for your work process, acting proactively and persistent in finding solutions and alternatives to problems, producing results for all involved;
• Be open to change and new ideas, committing themselves to the processes of
• Seeing problems as challenges and opportunities for personal growth, professional and institutional.
Learning and Teaching:
• Provide to learn from mistakes and successes by sharing their experience and contributing to the personal and professional development for all, strengthening the institution as a learning community;
• Communicate openly and objectively, ensuring transparency and understandings necessary for interpersonal relationships and institutional quality, adding credibility in relationships and mutual respect.