University description (as per official university website)
The Federal University of Paraíba, formerly University of Paraíba, is a municipal institution of special arrangements for teaching, research and extension, under the Ministry of Education, with multi-campus structure and activity in the city of Joao Pessoa, Banana and Sand.
The University has its origins with the creation in 1934, the first school of higher education, the School of Agronomy of the Northeast, the city of sand, just when the
professional community trends are still strongly marked for Medicine, Law or the priesthood, the traditional careers among rural families of the ruling class at that point and aspirations of middle class sectors of the population.
The School of Agronomy of the Northeast opens the possibility of creating other isolated schools, which, however, only happens after 1947 with the founding of the Faculty of Economics, in Joao Pessoa. So far, only two schools formed the middle level personnel in the area of trade - The Technical College of Commerce "Pessoa" and Commercial School "Underwood." The Faculty of Economics appears in chronological framework of the History of Higher Education of Paraíba as the phase transition to higher education.
In the '50s, the intention of "integrating the technical-industrial state," Campina Grande makes a new scientific-cultural focus of Paraiba, allowing a project-level technical school, the Polytechnic School, a project that has since start with the backing of the local world of business finance and commercial coherently assume that a concrete commitment to cooperate with the initiative. In this sense, are mobilizing private entities, federal and state benefit from the completion of the project.
The mobilization of resources to the school provides all the infrastructure needed for its operation, hence the good quality of your equipment. It is necessary to consider that foreign firms are also present in this listing of resources that do not register on projects relating to health and humanistic areas. 1952 opens the range to create new courses in higher technical Paraíba. The 50 records the creation of almost all isolated schools that would later shape the body of the State University, initiatives usually carried out by class and movements led by the organizations representing these movements. The Engineering Club begins the movement for creation of the School of Engineering, Paraíba, initially creating a course to prepare cadets for the Preparatory Schools (1948), in whose selection test Paraíba stands in first place, determining in this fact that year following the audits be conducted in João Pessoa, instead of being held in Recife, as traditionally had been carried out. The success of that event not only motivates the creation of the School of Engineering, but the triggering of the whole process of formation of Higher Education. The creation of the Law Faculty of Paraíba follows the euphoria of those who were involved in the movement. The receptivity of the community is to compose the framework conducive to other initiatives in the field of Higher Education.
The State Government project to create displays of Higher Education in Paraíba and establishing a Planning Commission for Higher Education whose members, representatives of various professions, to prepare projects and direct its operation. The movement for the creation of higher education must be observed as a result of, in Paraíba, the euphoria reinstated post-45; to democratic normality in the country generates a climate of national debate about the most pressing problems, such as nationalization and state control of oil, health issues, education. The 50 Paraiba records the appearance of several higher schools and the creation of the University itself. In this context, it seems the creation of the School of Engineering, Paraíba, in 1952, and several other schools.
Private initiative, the School of Engineering, Higher education as a unit of isolation, is viewed with some distrust by the community, as his character from disorders in particular implies the lack of resources, considering, moreover, that the city of Campina Great was already in full operation, the Polytechnic School, being the state area, carry more resources.
The School of Engineering remains financially through funds earned by the involvement of parliamentarians in Paraíba state and federal legislation, in addition to COSUP, federal organization for higher education, subject to later developmental plans of the government JK.
The State Constitution of 1947 provides for the establishment of a Faculty of Philosophy, Sciences and Letters in Paraiba, in the act of constitutional provisions. This device serves to support legal action later to encompass the foregoing that the initial movement for the creation of FAFI.
Only two years after the College was officially established, fulfilling its purpose of vocational training teachers and filling the gaps left by so many other higher education courses.
Arising from the need to qualify for teaching high school staff, the FAFI was initially proposed to specialize teachers of Portuguese, French, Spanish, Italian, Latin (Course of Neo-Latin languages), Geography, History (unified course) and teaching. The immediate implementation of these groups, courses and subjects is justified by the need for explicit and the fact that the teaching staff is available to the recruiting shows, except the faculty of foreign languages, to which they had to offer some benefits in return for their services, as a rule occur at almost all disciplines that require staff with higher skill levels. The Faculty of Philosophy and the State Law School, to be created later, formed the framework of the schools, in addition to specific vocational roles, is the source of institutionalized "humanistic knowledge" to be one of the qualities that may characterize the component of the future "inteligenzia. The medical and legal professions featuring elite families and already in the 40 and 50 were aspirations of families with pretensions to social ascension.
The Faculty of Law is legally established in 1951 and its initial class has forty vacancies by the Ministry, and all candidates are approved and used, because the pressures act in the sense of exploitation of all. 1951 marks the founding of the School of Social Work, with the support of church and state government, when it opens the historical process of the creation of Higher Education in Paraíba, this time almost entirely favorable to the proliferation of schools higher across the country. However, given its particular character of the institution, the School of Social Work can not escape the difficulties arising from lack of resources, and lives in the shadow of these difficulties, until it is absorbed by the University.
The Medical School is founded in 1951, buoyed by their success in the idealized demarches in favor of the Law School. The creation of the School of Medicine ranks as the spark that triggered the process of opening other higher education courses in health. The absence, in Paraíba, the college of medicine until 1951 involved in disorder for the student clientele of middle-level social, strangled between the status quo and the status aspirated. The need to travel to other states as a set of these disorders, even in the thought that locomotion is that only up to Recife, where was the nearest medical school. The dentists, who had just moved from the Faculty of Medicine, claiming their state of dependence on the new institution, since the dental clinic would be attached to the medical, flock to provide the documentation required for the deployment of the future Faculty of Dentistry , stimulated with a pressure wave generated by high school student and the recent favorable government attitudes to medical school. The press released later (1955), reports on the recognition of the Faculty of Dentistry by the MEC, focusing on the good reception of the event to the community. The lack of resources, but does not determine the functioning of the Pharmacy Course, which occurs only in 1956. The creation of the Faculty of Medicine, as well as the expansion of state and local medical assistance, as opening more clinics throughout the state, imposes increasingly the need for more nurses to provide health services in the areas that are enlarged.
The School of Nursing appears in the midst of the process of creation of the Faculty of Medicine, was established in 1953. In 1955, there were in the State eleven schools of higher education, which enables the creation of the University of Paraiba, through the State Law No. 1366 of December 2, 1955 and its federalization, through Law No. 3835 of 13 December 1960, passing the name of the Federal University of Paraíba. In 1973, the University Council approved the reformulation of the academic structure of the institution, through Resolution No. 12/73, in line with the provisions of Decree-Act No. 53 of 18.11.66 and 252 of 28.02.67, and the Law No. 5540 of 28.11.68, in which the foundations are laid for the formation of centers like the intermediate concentration and the Departments of fields of basic and professional.
Since then, the Federal University of Paraíba was structured as follows: Campus I, in the city of Joao Pessoa, Campus II, the city of Campina Grande, Campus III, the city of Sand; IV Campus in the town of Banana; Campus V in the town of Cajazeiras; Campus VI in the city of Sousa and Campus VII, in the city of Patos.
After a struggle of several years, involving the academic community, society as a whole and the local political class, they created the Federal University of Campina Grande, the dismemberment of the Federal University of Paraíba, through Law No. 10,419 of April 9 2002, I integrated the campus in the city of Campina Grande, including the Center for Science and Technology - CCT; Center for the Humanities - CH and Center for Biological and Health Sciences - CCBS, Campus II, the city of Cajazeiras, covers the Center for Teacher Education - CFP; Campus, in the city of Sousa, the Center covers Law and Social Sciences - Campus CCJS and IV in the city of Patos, covers the Health Center and Rural Technology - CSTR.
Currently the Federal University of Paraíba is structured as follows: Campus I, in the city of Joao Pessoa, comprises the following centers: Center for Science and Nature - SCHS, Centre of Humanities, Arts and Letters - CCHLA; Science Center Health - CCS, Centre for Applied Social Sciences - CCSA; Education Centre - EC; Technology Center - CT and Centre of Juridical Sciences - CCJ, Campus II, the city of sand, includes the Center for Agricultural Sciences - OKC and the Campus III, in the town of Banana, covers the Training Centre for Technologists - CFT and the Campus IV, Mamanguape and the cities of Rio Tinto, with the Center for Applied Science and Education - CEAC.
Adapted from "UFPB: Implications for Social Policy and its History", Maria das Dores Silva Zeluíza Limeira and Formiga-NDIHR UFPB Texts, No. 11, Joao Pessoa, April 1986, Resolution No. 12/73 of CONSUN, Statute UFPB , Law No. 10419 of 09 April 2002, Resolution No. 06/2006 of CONSUN.