University description (as per official university website)
The UFRRJ has its origins in Decree 8319 of 20 October 1910, signed by Nilo Pecanha, President of the Republic, and Rodolfo Nogueira da Rocha Miranda, Minister of Agriculture. He laid the foundations of agricultural education in Brazil, creating the College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, whose first director was the agronomist Gustavo Dutra. The seat was installed in 1911, the palace of the Duke of Saxony, which today is the CEFET / MEC, at the Maracana, Rio de Janeiro.
Officially opened in 1913, ran for two years with its field of agricultural experimentation and practice in Diodorus. Closed on the grounds of lack of funds for maintenance in March 1916 merged with the Agricultural School of Bahia and the Middle School Theory and Practice of Pine, which today are installed on the Campus and School Pinheiral Agrotechnical Pešanha Nile.
That same year diploma to first class of Agricultural Engineers, with two students, and the following year, the first class of veterinarians, with four students.
In 1918, the School was transferred to Alameda St. Bonaventure, in Niterˇi, where he works today, the Botanical Garden of Rio de Janeiro. Your new regulation was not approved until 1920, when it was created for another course, the Industrial Chemistry. In 1927, the School moved to the Red Beach in Rio de Janeiro. In February 1934, Decree 23 857 transformed courses at National School of Agriculture, National School of Veterinary Medicine and the National School of Chemistry.
The National School of Agronomy is subordinated to the former Board of Agricultural Education, the National Department of Crop Production, National School of Veterinary Medicine and the National Department of Animal Production, Ministry of Agriculture. The National School of Chemistry, transferred to the former Ministry of Education and Health, would establish itself at the School of Chemical Engineering of the current Federal Rural University of Rio de Janeiro - Former University of Brazil.
In March 1934, the National College of Agriculture National Veterinary and had adopted the common regulations and institutions have become the standard for teaching agronomy of the country this year formed 12 and 16 Agronomists Veterinarians.
The Ministerial Decree of 14 November 1936 became the independent schools, with the approval of their own regiments.
In 1938, Decree-Law 982 reversed the situation - while the National School of Agriculture joined the National Centre for Agronomic Research and Teaching (PNES), newly created, the National Veterinary School became subordinated directly to the Minister the state.
The PNES was reorganized in 1943 by Decree Law 6155 of December 30. Was born the Rural University, covering the time the National School of Agriculture, the National School of Veterinary Improvement Courses and Specialization, Extension Courses, Service School and Sports Service.
With Improvement Courses and Specialization we initiated a program of postgraduate training for specific areas of the curriculum of Agronomy and Veterinary Medicine.
A year later, the new regiment of PNES, approved by Decree-Law 16,787, the new unified courses of Improvement, and Extension Specialist, and create the University Council, similar to that currently exists.
The university, in addition to consolidating the new courses and services created, would take steps to in 1948, transfer its campus to the shores of Old Highway Rio-Sao Paulo, BR-465 today.
The year 1961 brought a new decree, the number of 50,113, which, again, amended the charter of PNES - the University has gained a new body, the Agricultural School, then the name of Ildefonso Simoes Lopes Agrotechnical School.
Only in 1963, by Decree 1984, the Rural University was named to the Federal Rural University of Brazil, involving the National School of Agriculture, the National School of Veterinary Medicine, the School of Forestry, Technical Education and Family Education, courses mid-level Technical Colleges of Home Economics and Agricultural Ildefonso Simoes Lopes. "
The current name - the Rural Federal University of Rio de Janeiro - came with the 4759 Act, 1965. The UFRRJ, a municipality since 1968, he worked with a more flexible and dynamic to follow the University Reform that was implanted in the Country With the adoption of its Statute in 1970, the University has expanded its areas of Education and Research, and in 1972 started the system of courses under the credits.
THE CREATION OF THE COURSES
In 1966 he created the college chemistry. In 1968, the National School of Agronomy and Veterinary turn into undergraduate courses. In 1969, created the courses are Bachelor of Natural History in Chemical Engineering and Agricultural Sciences. In 1970, begin the courses of Geology, Zoology, Business, Economics and Accounting. In 1976, the courses were created for full degree in Physical Education, Mathematics, Physics and Bachelor of Mathematics.
The first evening course - Business Administration - began in 1990. In 1991, created the course of Food Engineering.
The first post-graduate courses in UFRRJ started their activities in 1965. Three courses were offered at Masters level: Veterinary Medicine, Veterinary Parasitology, Agronomy-Soil Science and organic chemistry - that have consolidated over the years, leading to PhD courses in the years 1977, 1979 and 1993, respectively. From 1976 to 1988 were implanted with the Masters in Science and Food Technology, Veterinary Pathology, Microbiology, Veterinary, Agricultural Development and Crop Science. In 1993, became active in the Masters Course in Environmental Science and Forestry, in 1995, the Master of Crop Science Agroecology created the area. They were created in 1994 and 1995 the Masters and Ph.D. in Animal Biology, PhD in Food Science and Technology, PhD in Animal Health and MSc in Animal Science.
In addition to Masters and PhD, the Rural University has been offering in recent years, several specialized courses broadly in various fields of science. In 1996 began a new course of specialization in Agribusiness Management and Strategy.