University description (as per official university website)
Alfenas A Universidade Federal --UNIFAL MG Originally Dental School pharmacy and Alfenas - EFOA has been founded in April 03 1914 and 2005 has been turned in Universidade Federal Alfenas - UNIFAL-Minas Gerais.
The UNIFAL-MG has been responsible for training several generations of competent professionals, through their undergraduate courses and graduate, by consolidating its activities in Extension, where it occupies a prominent position in providing services to local and regional community and ; by the significant growth of its scientific and technological production, responsible for developing regional and national levels.
The University of Alfenas - UNIFAL-MG, originally SCHOOL OF PHARMACY AND DENTISTRY OF ALFENAS, was founded on April 3, 1914, with the implementation of the Course of Pharmacy and the following year, the School of Dentistry.
It was recognized by State Law No. 657 of 11 September 1915, the Government of Minas Gerais. Elected its first Board was composed of: Dr. John Leo de Faria, Director, Dr. Armando de Almeida Magalhães, Deputy Director, Nicholas Coutinho, and Treasurer José Barroso da Silveira, Secretary. On September 11, 1916, the library was established with donations raised by a committee of students.
The recognition by the Minister of Education and Health, was to Article 26 of Decree 19851, and March 23, 1932, approved the new regulation framing it in the provisions of federal laws. On December 18, 1960, through Law No. 3854, the School was federalized, with its direction by Prof.. Paulo Passos da Silveira.
The transformation of the Special Municipality was accomplished through Decree No. 70686 of 07 June 1972.
The transformation in local authority encouraged the establishment of the Nursing and Midwifery course, authorized by Opinion No. 3,246, October 5, 1976 and Decree No. 78949 of 15 December 1976 and recognized by the CFE No Opinion 1.484/79, MEC Ordinance No. 1224 of December 18, 1979. The creation of the Nursing and Midwifery course served at that time, the government policy to supply the needs of specialized work in healthcare.
In 1999 the courses were implanted Nutrition Sciences (Bachelors Degree) and Mode Drugs and Medicines, authorized by Ordinance 1202 of the MEC 03/08/1999, commencing operation in 2000.
Moving to University Center Federal occurred on 1 October 2001 by Decree / MEC No. 2101.
To meet the legal requirements of the Curriculum Guidelines, The Course of Life Sciences was spun off to form the Course of Biological Sciences (BA) to commence operation in 2002 / 2 by resolution 005/2002 of the Supreme Council and the HEI 12/04/2002 Biological Sciences (BS) in 2003 / 1 by the Ministry of Education Ordinance 1202 of 03/08/1999.
In 2003 began the B.Sc. in Chemistry from the Resolution 002/2003 of the Supreme Council of the IES, 13/03/2003.
Currently has 100 vacancies for the Course of Pharmacy, 100 for the School of Dentistry, 40 for the nursing course, 20 for the course in Biological Sciences (BS) 20 for the Course of Biological Sciences (BA), 20 for the Course Nutrition and 20 for the course in Chemistry (BS).
The graduate program at the institution started in the 80's offers 10 Courses of Specialization: Clinical Analysis, Pharmaceutical Care, Temporomandibular Dysfunction and Orofacial Pain-, Restorative Dentistry, Endodontics, Implant Dentistry, Pediatric Dentistry, Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Periodontics, Prosthodontics.
The program of graduate-level master's degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences, recommended by CAPES, began in August 2005, setting another pole of the institution's academic development. It offers two areas of concentration: 1) Physical-chemical evaluation and microbiological drugs and medicines, 2) Obtaining and pharmaceutical evaluation of biological activity.
The extension actions today consolidated, and the creation of the University of the Third Age (EFOATI) represent another way of targeting of academic work, allowing permanent contact and exchange between university and society.
After completing 91 years of existence, with a long tradition in education, having been responsible for training several generations of competent professionals, recognized nationally for teaching standards, excellence is borne out by their students in the official assessment of the MEC (grades A and Note 5 in the courses evaluated), occupying a prominent position in providing services to local and regional community, aware of the possibilities that the current historical moment offers in the knowledge society, we feel that as a public institution must actively respond to the educational demands of society and to participate more fully and effectively the problems and challenges posed by developing local, regional and national levels.
Starting in 2005, transformed into the Federal University of Alfenas (UNIFAL-MG) by Law 11,154, provides the implementation of courses in Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry, Geography (BA), Geography (BA) Courses of Biotechnology, Computer Science, Pedagogy and the modalities for Biomedicine and Environmental Sciences Course of Biological Sciences.