Universidade Católica de Petrópolis
University description (as per official university website)
The Catholic University of Petropolis's mission is to devote himself to the cause of truth as a community inspired by the Christian message, for the training of the human being and the good of society through teaching, research and extension.
The future vision of the UCP is "to be promoting the perennial good of society, seeking truth and educating people capable of improving the human conditions of the contemporary world."
Founded in May 1953, the Catholic University of Petropolis was the first institution of higher education located in the city of Petropolis. Began with the creation of civil society Petropolitana Catholic Colleges, an initiative of the Diocesan Bishop Dom Manoel Pedro da Cunha Cintra. The first course offered by the new institution was the law, installed in 1954 in a building in the Retiro district. In 1956, with the acquisition of the building where he worked for a long time, one of the finest hotels in the region - the Orleans Hotel - Rua Barão do Amazonas, were also created the faculties of Philosophy, Sciences and Letters and, later, Industrial Engineering.
In 1961, the merger of three colleges resulted in the founding of the Catholic University of Petropolis. The institution was recognized by Decree 383 of 20 December 1961, published in the Official Gazette on December 21, 1961. The university was formally installed on March 11, 1962 and then experienced a strong expansion with the opening of new courses.
In the late 60's, the university acquired the facilities of the Notre Dame de Sion, Rua Benjamin Constant, and carried into space throughout its administration and much of their students. In the new campus, he founded the School of Application, which aimed to provide training field and research students of the Faculty of Education.
In the early '70s, the institution became a postcard of the city with the opening of the Flower Clock in front of the set Dom Manoel Pedro da Cunha Cintra, Rua Barão do Amazonas. The space created on the occasion of the celebrations commemorating the Sesquicentennial of Independence, was later a main tourist attraction in the region.
Around the same time, the university has undergone major changes, highlighting the acquisition of the first computer in 1974, with installation of the Data Processing Center and the inauguration of the Center for Physical Education in 1976. The 80s brought the award winning UCP FM Radio and later, the Cultural Foundation Dom Manoel Pedro da Cunha Cintra.
The '90s marked the recognition of the university for the whole community. Among the major projects that had the participation of the institution are the signature of an agreement between the university and the city to revitalize the historic center of Petropolis and integration of the university to design Petrópolis-Tecnópolis.
Today the UCP, which in its 50 year history has trained over 18,000 professionals in various fields, offering 36 undergraduate courses, including 8 technicians, and graduate courses and masters.