University description (as per official university website)
The history of today's University of Uberaba, nonprofit institution, maintained by the Educational Society uberabense, dates back to 1940 when he founded the Mario Palmerio Lyceu Triangulo Mineiro, based initially at Rua Manoel Borges. With this initiative, the teacher gave the first steps toward a much more daring project: to provide the quiet time of Uberaba of a school focused on supply of higher education. Until the idea became a reality, Mario Palmerio implements two other actions. Transferred the seat of Lyceu, later called the Triangulo Mineiro College, for a set of buildings where, today, operates the Campus Center and decides to create the Technical School of Trade Triangle Mineiro. In 1947 the federal government authorizes the opening of the Dental School of Triangulo Mineiro. In less than ten years, two other schools come into play: the Law School of Triangulo Mineiro, in 1951, and the School of Engineering of the Mining Triangle in 1956. Uberaba, then begins to protrude also important because of its structure, facing higher education, a privilege of the few mining towns in the early '50s. Along with these important achievements, came the need for expansion of physical infrastructure. In 1976 he starts working the Airport Campus, located at Avenida Nene Sabino.
Since 1972, colleges alone give rise to a new organization and the institution is now called Integrated Colleges of Uberaba, being known by the acronym FIUBE. The change enables the creation, in 1973, courses in Physical Education, Psychology, Pedagogy, Social Studies and Media. The year 1981 marks the merger with fist-Integrated College St. Thomas Aquinas. With this measure, the FIUBE incorporates courses in Literature, Philosophy, History, Geography, Social Studies, Science (Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology), Education (School Supervision School 1st and 2nd grades, Educational Guidance, School Administration) and clearance in Journalism, Travel Media.
The most significant achievements takes place in 1988: recognition as the University of Uberaba by the Ministry of Education. The change to the Institution guarantees autonomy for the creation of new courses. Between 1989 and 1991. University of Uberaba is offering the Graduate Diploma in Agricultural Engineering, Technology in Data Processing, Administration, Electrical Engineering, Architecture and Planning and Economic Sciences, plus two qualifications in the Faculty of Education: Teaching from the initial series of first-degree and Preschool.
In 1997, the Bank takes an important step to stand also as a center of excellence for graduate education in health. By decision of the University Council, is authorized the establishment of medical courses, Industrial Pharmacy, Biomedicine, Physical Therapy, Speech Therapy, Nutrition, Occupational Therapy and Veterinary Medicine. The deployment of the latter is the result of a partnership with ABCZ - Brazilian Association of Zebu Breeders and FAZU - Faculty of Agronomy and Zoology of Uberaba, in whose works the Veterinary Hospital campus. A year later, the Council authorizes the opening of the Nursing course. Currently, the University of Uberaba maintains the following courses: Business Administration, Architecture and Urbanism, Biomedicine, Aeronautical Sciences, Sciences, Social Communication (Journalism-Advertising), Law, Physical Education, Nursing, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Industrial Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Speech, History, Languages (English-Portuguese / Portuguese-Spanish), Mathematics, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Nutrition, Dentistry, Special Pedagogy, Psychology, Chemistry, Social Services, Information Systems, Therapy Occupational and Tourism.
GRADUATE AND RESEARCH
The year 1997 also marks the start of the Graduate University of Uberaba, the Master of Science and Human Values, and the Master of Education: Teacher Education, in addition to expertise in various areas. The program is centered on the Airport Campus. University of Uberaba is accredited as a research institute in CNPq - National Council for Scientific and Technological Development. He has several projects approved by FAPEMIG - Foundation for Research Support of Minas Gerais, and by Embrapa - Brazilian Agricultural Research Company, and other development agencies. All projects have in the search for answers to specific questions in the region where it operates.
Also in 1997, the institution puts in place a process of profound change in structure is designed for undergraduate teaching. Update curricula, qualifications of teaching staff, by hiring teachers and doctors and trained professionals in the home were some of the measures implemented. Along came the transformation of the physical structure, with the reform and construction of new buildings, and deployment of leading-edge labs that support the students' practical learning. A new modern library is delivered to the academic community. The latest advance is recorded in 2000, when the University of Uberaba puts into operation its Programme of Distance Education - Distance Learning offering, initially specializing in coffee crop. The project is integrated in the EAD Institute for Educators.
The academic community at the University of Uberaba has several support programs, designed to support the activities of teachers and students inside and outside the campus. Mentoring programs work, Undergraduate Research, Research Support, Monitoring and PAE-Care Plan for Students. The latter, in addition to legal assistance, provides care in the areas of Dentistry, Psychology, Nutrition, Physiotherapy, Biomedicine, Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Industrial Pharmacy.