University description (as per official university website)
1925 to 1950
On September 23, 1925, Pedro Augusto Gomes Cardim presented to a distinguished group of public figures and artists, the project for the creation of the Academy of Fine Arts. The proposal was well received and the school was inaugurated on February 15, 1926 only with courses in painting and sculpture.
The institution was established according to art design of its founder, "Academia is not a factory product cerebral, moral or artistic, or skills and talents. It is the center of the cultivator natural abilities, which are developed and become able to bear fruit. "
On January 28, 1932, was recognized by the government and changed its name to "School of Fine Arts in St. Paul." That same year, was responsible for the collection of the Pinacoteca do Estado de Sao Paulo, activity which he held until 1939.
The main stronghold of figurative art in the 50s, it remained the School of Fine Arts in St. Paul, who celebrated at the beginning of the decade, 25 years of existence, marks the first time achieved by a school in the state's artistic level.
The group of artists who traveled the school produced many of the works of the Salon, an event inaugurated in 1934 with the participation of artists such as Oscar Silva Pereira, Eliseu Visconti, Peter of Alexandria, Anitta Malfati Tarsila do Amaral, Alfredo Volpi, among others. On the four event categories - painting, sculpture, architecture and decorative arts - many students, teachers and former teachers received awards over time.
The Academy had the support of many intellectuals and artists gathered by Pedro Augusto, such as Mário de Andrade, Menotti del Picchia, Antônio de Alcântara Machado, Amadeu Zani.
1951 to 1975
Since 1968, over a period of intense political turmoil, the new administration of Fine Arts, formed by Professor Vicente Di Grado and two family members Cardim Gomes, Luciano and Paul Anthony, met with financial difficulties at the institution.
Among the measures taken to definitely establish the institution as an educational enterprise were working teachers and staff and creating new courses, aimed at maintaining the institution without abandoning its traditional values. The fiftieth anniversary of the establishment in September 1975 paved the way for publication of the law which made a fine arts institution of state public utility. This was an important achievement, in addition to its official recognition.
1976 to 2000
In 1976, the course of Architecture and Planning was allowed to run for a federal opinion, confirmed by a decree of 1979. That same year, the institution has lost the name of "school" and took the name "School of Fine Arts in St. Paul." In 1986, the Fine Arts went through a period of expansion. Diversified courses increased the number of students and consolidating his name on the educational scene. Three years later he was finally transferred to its current headquarters at Rua Dr. Alvaro Alvim, 76, Vila Mariana, a process started in 1985.
In 90 years, the Febasp reached the mark of two hundred teachers and 2600 students, acquiring an economic stability that has never known before. With that, he assumed a magnitude unthinkable at the time of the founders of that entity deficit that had approximately 60 students in 1968.
This period also were imposed post-graduate courses in 1998 and extended in 1999.
The inauguration of a building of the institution in August 2, 1999, marked a new stage, new courses have joined the school's educational options. Moreover, the architectural modernization consolidated school entry in a new era.
2001 to 2007
In 2002 the school received the new designation of 'Fine Arts Center University of São Paulo ", in accordance with the approval of the Board of Higher Education of the National Council of Education. The institution reached 3800 students in 2005, with four new courses: in 2001 the courses were opened in Fashion Design and International Relations in 2003 opened the course in Public Relations and in 2004 began the first class and Radio TV.
To celebrate the graduation of the first class of Fashion Design, Fine Arts was performed Fashion 2006, which was attended by the masters of ceremony, Theodoro Cochrane and Cassia Avila, as well as large middle names, as designers André Lima, Adriana Barra, Cris Barros, Valdemar Iódice, Lara Gerin and Andrew Hidalgo.
In 2007, the Fine Arts inaugurated its Design Center, on Calle Jose Antonio Coelho, 879, bringing together the four design courses in the same unit, laboratories, workshops, library and an adequate infrastructure targeted to their four skills: Graphic, Interior, Fashion and Product. In addition, new partnerships were established, notably the agreement of scientific-technical cooperation with the Brazilian Aluminum Association. Meanwhile, the Arts courses organized exhibitions with guests such as "Impressions of Metal engraving: the art of Roberto Grassmann", with support from House and Boia Associação Viva o Centro, and also with students from home as InVitro and Passages, held concurrently in the gallery of Fine Arts and the passage of Consolation Street.
The libraries of Fine Arts, which received ISO 9001:2000 certification in December 2004, now invest in social responsibility projects, promoting campaigns to collect food and toys to needy institutions. For the future, will be implementing a new project: the provision of equipment and resources to people with special needs (auditory and visual) in the Central Library Luciano Octavio Ferreira Gomes Cardim. The Fine Art Company, therefore, not only their commitment to quality higher education, but with citizens, taking part in building a future in which education is a priority.
The Fine Arts Center University of São Paulo has to create, produce and disseminate knowledge through the arts, culture and the humanities and social sciences, aiming to humanistic education of their students.
The fulfillment of his mission depends on the scope of the following objectives:
minister of higher education and graduate in various ways, in education, arts, humanities and communications;
stimulate the creation and development of cultural and scientific spirit of reflective thinking;
train professionals able to insert business and professional sectors;
encourage the development of the arts and the creation and dissemination of culture;
promote the spread of cultural, scientific and technical
encouraging its students the desire for constant improvement and cultural training;
promote undergraduate research and the extension courses, this is open to the participation of the population, aiming to disseminate the achievements and benefits of cultural and artistic creations;
participate actively in the community through cultural, technical assistance and services;
The Fine Arts Center University of Sao Paulo aims to project itself as a vanguard institution, making sure they keep alive a tradition of its principles and values.