Faculdades Oswaldo Cruz
São Paulo, Brazil
University description (as per official university website)
The institution began its historic journey in 1914. In 1954, he was taken by Prof. Oswaldo Quirino Simoes, then worked at the College Street Santa Isabel n º 41 courses and had primary, junior high and high school.
In 1956 he founded the Technical School Oswaldo Cruz as one of the first technical courses in Industrial Chemistry from South America This course has achieved such success that, between 1962 and 1963, was responsible for 60% of enrollments in all technical courses in the country .
With the creation of new courses and to meet the consequent increase in the number of students built the building on Avenida Angelica n º 352, with seven floors where they still operate the Integrated Schools Oswaldo Cruz-Pais Leme.
In 1965, opens up new unit at Rua Brigadeiro Galvao n º 540, Barra Funda, to house the Faculties Oswaldo Cruz. There was also created? Experimental School Professor Quirino Simoes Rosa? In elementary school. The name is a tribute to Professor Oswaldo Condo mother Quirino Simoes and today Professor Quirino Rosa gives its name to the laboratory of Faculty of Education, the Toy Library.
It was also in the 60 who settled in the unity of Avenida Angelica, the courses of Electronics, Metallurgy and Administration, plus, later, Data Processing.
In 1968, the College Parents Leme, was assumed by the institution, joining the traditional school Oswaldo Cruz giving rise to the Integrated Schools Oswaldo Cruz-Pais Leme.
In 1991, will become executive director of the educational complex Mr. Carlos Eduardo Quirino Simoes de Amorim, grandson of the founder, who, with the same entrepreneurial spirit continues modernizing and expanding the institution.
Today, six units installed in fifty thousand square meters, the complex houses more than eight thousand students.
In the unity of Avenida Angelica is offered Condo articulated high school vocational education in the morning. At night, they're technical courses offered modulated in accordance with the Law of Directives and Bases of National Education.
This historic route eighty-eight years of tradition in education in Brazil, demonstrates the seriousness, integrity and commitment to education that characterize our university.
The Oswaldo Cruz is always investing in equipment upgrades and those involved in the education of its students.
In today's world, if you want to be better, you have to invest more.
That's why we do not miss the Oswaldo Cruz laboratories (they're no less than 30 between biological laboratories, accurate, computer and languages), computers (220 only for the students), libraries (with 40,000 volumes, and Internet access system Condo Query the online Bibliographic Database of the University of São Paulo, Unicamp and Unesp.) audiovisual centers (including a studio full of radio and other TV shows), auditoriums, entertainment areas with community centers and everything else is needed to develop in students the entrepreneurial spirit, creativity and vision realistic.
WHO WAS OSWALDO CRUZ
Born on August 5, 1872, in Sao Luis do Paraitinga (Sao Paulo), graduated in Medicine from the National School of Rio de Janeiro in 1892. In 1896, he went to France, where he conducted master classes at the Pasteur Institute in Paris, becoming friends with Roux and Metchnikoff. He also worked in the laboratory of Toxicology. In 1900 he was appointed to head the Federal Institute Serum-therapi (which in 1907 became the National Institute Oswaldo Cruz), installed on a farm in Manguinhos and where they would be prepared serums and vaccines against the bubonic plague.
The Oswaldo Cruz Institute, and the Butantan Institute in Sao Paulo have become centers of development and dissemination of experimental medicine in Brazil, earlier this century.
In 1903, the government of President Rodrigues Alves, was appointed to take over the Health Service at the time, Rio de Janeiro was facing a serious epidemic of yellow fever, severe social consequences. Oswaldo Cruz drew up and put into execution, rigorous plan for health reform, aiming to eradicate the disease. He received full support from government and, despite opposition from sectors of the population, managed to eradicate the disease.
The Institute of Manguinhos, under the able direction of this scientist, he served as a training center for true high-level researchers. Acted at the Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, scientists and Rocha Lima, Carlos Chagas, Gaspar Vianna, Artur Neiva, Adolfo Lutz and many others who contributed to the development of important research in the area of Experimental Medicine. The last public office was exercised by the Oswaldo Cruz mayor of Petropolis, a city where he died on February 11, 1917.