University description (as per official university website)
Its predecessor, the Southern Institute of Technology
The Southern Institute of Technology was established on October 9, 1946, through provincial law No. 5051 started its activities under the academic unit of the National University of La Plata. In 1947, the Nation and the province of Buenos Aires signed an agreement by which both would provide funds for operation and maintenance. On February 12, 1948, then-President Juan D. Perón appointed Dr. Miguel López French as a Rector, who should take the necessary measures for their organization. The official opening of the ITS was performed February 20, 1948. The university status was granted in 1950 but was abolished in 1952, returning it to the Ministry of Economy of the Nation. The first graduate of the Institute was Nereo engineer Robert Parish, in 1953, who was born in Tornquist. In 1955, after the fall of Perón, was appointed Professor Pedro González Prieto as its auditor, and began lobbying the national government to acquire the status of national university. After studies by an advisory committee appointed by the Executive, they resolved to create the National University of the South by Legislative Decree No. 154 of January 5, 1956.
The Universidad Nacional del Sur
That same year he was appointed Rector Prof. Vicente Fatone controller. Classes at the fledgling began to be issued on 1 April of that year. The UNS was the seventh national university established in the country, being preceded by those of Córdoba (1613), Buenos Aires (1821), La Plata (1890), Tucumán (1912), Litoral (1919) and Cuyo (1939).
The new academic structure house organized by department, rather than the traditional faculties. These have a lower administrative structure and allow the flexibility and transversality in knowledge. Thus, academic units should not create the materials for their careers than others to dictate their own, which allows students to study in them. The first departments were Accounting, Economics, Physics, Geology and Geography, Mathematics, Engineering, Humanities and Chemistry.
Barely a month after the inauguration, two students who had begun to pursue their careers at the Institute, and David Thomas Laurent Jorge Prieto, appeared to render the latest materials, thus becoming the first graduates of the institution. The first woman to earn his degree from the UNS was Betty Kerlleñevich, Bahia Blanca, one of the founders of STI students who also graduated from engineering.
The main complex is located on Avenida Alem 1253, where they work most of the departments and laboratories, as well as the Central Library. It occupies more than one block and is located in front of a fountain with a sculpture by the artist Lola Mora. In the same venue and other buildings, close to the above, at the intersection of the streets October 12 and San Juan are located in Humanities, Economics, Geography and Tourism and Management Sciences.
In the area known as "Altos del Palihue" there is another building complex of the UNS where they operate the departments of Agronomy and law. There, the university owns several acres, which also ranks the School of Agriculture and Livestock "Ing Agr. Adolfo J. Zabala. " The building at 80 Columbus Avenue originally corresponded to the headquarters of the Universidad Nacional del Sur. Currently the activity is concentrated here the Chancellor and their secretariats, along with other administrative offices. In Alem Avenue 925 is located the Casa de la Cultura, a colonial mansion that was once an important town of the fifth mansion. This unit is dedicated to artistic and cultural activities organized by the Secretariat General of Communication and Culture. Work there too the Foundation of this institution (FUNSA) and publisher (EdiUNS). In the buildings on the street April 11th 445 working the Business School, the School of GBS (Beginner Level 1, 2 and 3) and the Ecole Normale Supérieure.