University description (as per official university website)
The National University of Quilmes is a public legal person established on 23 October 1989 by Law No. 23,749 of the Honorable National Congress and member of the group of national universities based in the greater Buenos Aires.
Opened in the academic year 1991 and was standardized on 12 December 1992. It is located in the heart of the south of Gran Buenos Aires, in the town of Bernal, in the Municipality of Quilmes, and its radius of influence includes the municipalities of Quilmes, Berazategui, Florencio Varela, Avellaneda, Lanús and Almirante Brown region where three million people live, and that concentrates 20% of industrial establishments in the country.
Today, with more than eleven thousand students distributed among its 18 undergraduate and three graduate students.
- All academic practice should be held in the paradigms of national and universal thought in the request coming from the historical and social reality.
- Science, in its diversity, is a constant upgrading of knowledge and the objective of the research, which benefits the collective good of society.
- Training of professionals, technicians and researchers involves the production, promotion, development and dissemination of culture, art and science.
- University extension should display its activity to the people, closer ties with the organizations representing social sectors, embodies their needs, promoting cultural development of society by transferring the benefits of scientific and technological advances, as well as Expressions national and universal culture.
The actions of the school should:
- Promote research on national issues, where the university can contribute their knowledge to their resolution.
- Tend to further integration with other levels of education and with other national universities.
- Maintain the relationship with graduates tending to its improvement, for which they should organize specialized courses and all other activities conducive to that goal.
- Educating in the spirit that pervades the Constitution, popular sovereignty is the only legitimate source of political power, the recognition of the sovereignty and independence of the nation, respecting and defending human rights, contributing to the fellowship and peace among peoples and their knowledge tending to be placed at the service of these in improving their standard of living.
- Ensure in all areas the greatest freedom of trials, criteria and philosophical and scientific.
- Ensure the improvement of teachers in specific scientific or professional area, in its educational aspects and the development of adequate interdisciplinary training.
The National University of Quilmes is organized on the basis of the departmental structure. The Department of Social Sciences, the Department of Science and Technology, and Research Centre for Studies and nurture of teachers and researchers to the various diploma and careers that are offered at this university.