Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata
Mar del Plata, Argentina
University description (as per official university website)
Between the late 50's and early 60's the city of Mar del Plata was one of its most remarkable periods of expansion in the hands of two activities were complementary and mutually gave impetus: The tourism industry construction. In the 1950 and 1960 the building was favored by mass tourism and condominium law. Together with fishing became more important activity of the local economy and reached levels that were exceeded at national level until 1977. Tourism is also boosted the growth of the textile and food industries. Likewise, both trade and the food industry got a boost tourism quantitative some companies becoming symbols of the city (Store Los Gallegos, Snack Havanna, Balcarce Desserts, Noodles Fagnani, Café Cabrales, etc.).
This economic growth was accompanied by the development of strong business activity is concentrated in the Union of Trade, Industry and Production (PICU), a power not only to set the sectoral level and joined the order of the community towards improving the educational level of the region and through the creation of a public university to obtain a precise diagnosis of the economic and social changes that the city had to face the medium and long term.
It was thus that the PICU had outstanding performance in the conformation of the City University of Mar del Plata, as acted by special request of the Minister of Education of the Province of Buenos Aires Dr. Ataúlfo Pérez Aznar as organizer of the first Assembly to form the Cooperative Committee of the Provincial University. At that meeting it was stated that "... it is a humanistic look at the studies and the shortfall of trained personnel for teaching, creating a medical school on the basis of the authorization of the Regional Hospital and conducting summer courses ... "
It was so by Decree No. 11723 of October 19, 1961, the Executive Branch of the Province of Buenos Aires created under the Ministry of Education, University of the Province of Buenos Aires, setting a target of it, the formation of professionals in various disciplines of scientific, technical and humanistic.
But in mid-1962 the threat of closure hanging over the fledgling institution because of the lack of confirmation in the Buenos Aires legislature of its creation and as a result of negligible budget. Again the voices of the city rose up and managed to save recalling Perez Aznar University become the first Provincial Director of the University that "... the creation of the University has been complex, but in light of the needs of youth region based on its operation is fully justified ... "
Almost simultaneously with the first Bishop of Mar del Plata in 1957 designated also gave impetus to the project of creating a private university. This earned her recognition in the government of Arturo Frondizi, after the debate reminded of "Lay or Free." The approval of this Act allowed the creation Bishop Enrique Rau first Commonwealth Institute in May 1958 and then at the Catholic University "Stella Maris." Thus a significant number of young people in the city no longer had to go to La Plata or Buenos Aires to pursue higher education. Worked well in the private sphere the Colleges of Agriculture, Law, Nursing School University and Central School of Philosophy, which contained the Departments of History, Literature and Philosophy.
This offer was added to that offered by the University since 1963 from its first Provincial Economic Sciences Faculty of Architecture and Urbanism (Created by Federal Decree No. 566 of year 1963). In 1966 by Decree No. 236 established the Faculty of Engineering and joined the University Institute upper of Educational Sciences and the School of Psychology subsequently-formed Faculty of Humanities, creating in that year the Department of Medicine at the Rectorate units.
In June 1968 by Decree No. 5627 created the Institute of Tourism and July, by Decree No. 7156 and as a result of an agreement between the University and the National Mental Health created the School of Occupational Therapy.
In 1969, addressing the needs of the different races that made up the university and created the Department of Languages. Also became the Insti-tute of Tourism Higher School of Tourism. By Resolution No. 760 Chancellor created the Institute for the Investigation of Maritime Interests and Resolution No. 397 of March, creates a degree in Social and Political Studies.
On April 4, 1970 was the first Conferral of Degrees, which reached a relief very particular and that Decree No. 1351 of April 3 was awarded the titles that were broadcast nationally approved plans for the study of if, following majors: Architecture, Degree and Doctorate in Economics (specialized in agriculture and fishing), Bachelor in Business Administration, Accounting (as amended later by the Public Accounting), Bachelor of Chemical Engineering, Chemical Engineering of Food, Electromechanical Assistant, Assistant Engi-neering Chemistry, Degree and Ph.D. in Sociology, Doctorate Degree and An-anthropology, Venia docendi, Interpreter, Tour Guide, Tourism Expert (modified later by Assistant Tourism), Bachelor in Tourism and Occupational Therapy. Posteriorly, in August 1970 included the degree and Ph.D. in Psychology at the roster and Rector's Resolution No. 1056 established the Department of Health Sciences.
In December 1971 the social upheaval and political clashes that shook the country claimed a victim in the student of the Faculty of Architecture Silvia Filler was mortally wounded by a bullet fired by a group belonging to the National Collegiate Concentration ( CNU) which sought to break up a student assembly. Given these facts, arrested 16 people who regained their freedom in no time.
In 1972 he created the BA in Political Science and became the School of Tourism Faculty of Tourism. In October, created the Bachelor of Science in Education, which is offered since 1969. The Council by Ordinance No. 502 upper creating the Teaching of English race.
In 1973 by Decree No. 306 established the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences that functions attached to the Experimental Station of INTA Balcarce and that so-tonka in part of the Catholic University.
In 1975 he approved the agreement signed in August 1974 between the Ministry of Culture and Education river and the Government of the Province of Buenos Aires declared the nationalization of the Provincial University (Executive Order 967 national). By means of Law No. 21,139 enacted on September 30 and promulgated on 27 October of that year created the current National University of Mar del Plata.
It was established on the basis of the Provincial University and was joined by the incorporation of the Catholic University "Stella Maris" of Mar del Plata. This for-ma National University was composed of the following Colleges and Schools: Architecture and Urbanism, Agricultural Sciences, Economics, engineering, humanities, law, tourism and the School of Health Sciences. That same year by resolution of Rector became the Department of Sport and Education Institute FI-Music in Physical Education and Sports, became the School of Languages Language Department reporting to the Faculty of Humanities and created the nursing career Professional.
The arrival of the military dictatorship in 1976 was a heavy blow to the unplug-unfolding of college activities. Ministerial Resolution No. 150 established the Faculty of Law on the basis of the legal career of former Catholic University, but was stopped from entering it until the following year established ciéndose a quota of 50 students for the same, the As for the rest of the roads to flush the University. By Order of the Military Delegation created the race-dependent Biological Sciences at the Faculty of Humanities and by resolution of the same organization was established career mapping within the scope of the Research Institute for the Problems of the Sea resolution Rectorate No. 979 created the Teaching and Bachelor of Mathematics with reliance on the Faculty of Engineering.
The restrictions on admission of students, teacher layoffs, not dozens-ing and the imprisonment or disappearance of many representatives of the university cloisters joined the closing races of Social Sciences das cataloging by the military as the "most conflict. " In 1977 by resolution of the delega-tion Military suspended academic activities of the Institute of Physical Education and In-port and Order of the Superior Council No. 89 was closed down the Carrera of Sociology, Anthropology, Political Science and Psychology and Rectorate resolution dissolved the Department of Mental Health. In 1978 by Ordinance No. 78 Supreme Council closed the career of Educational Sciences. By Order of the Superior Council-za No. 113 fuse the Faculties of Economics and Tourism giving rise to the current Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
Ordinance in 1978 by Superior Council established the Institute of Biological investiga-tions dependent Chancellor and High Council Ordinance were created Graduate courses for the Masters in Animal Production and Animal Health dependent Agronomy. Ministerial Resolution No. 1502 authorizing the establishment of the Faculty of Sciences, Natura-les and Biological Integrated careers in Biology, Mathematics, Chemistry, Occupational Therapy, Nursing and Mapping incorporating the functions of the School of Health Sciences and Occupational Therapy, the Institute for research into problems of the Sea and the Department of Biology (Dependent rector) and the Department of Mathematics (Clerk of the Faculty of Engineering).
In the year 1979 by the Higher Council Ordinance No. 129 created the Center for Coastal Geology and Superior Council Ordinance was established in the field of Humanities Faculty Library Race.
In 1980 the University took a step forward in solving his cronies-cal construction problems at the opening of the first stage of the General Belgrano University Complex in Funes and San Lorenzo streets adding to the expansion of facilities at the Faculty of Engineering located in the former premises of a refrigerator.
The return to democracy in 1983 marked the opening of a new era in the history of our country which was also reflected in the changes that were produced, in the Mar del Plata. The CPN Normalizer Rector Victor Iriarte carried out the normalization process which saw a massive increase in income of students at undergraduate and returning teachers who had continued his career outside the university.
During his tenure saw the reopening of Psychology, first as a Department and then as a School in 1986. After the normalization to compete over 70% of teaching positions the University Assembly elected in 1986 as the first Rector from the election of their cloisters Architect Hernán Javier Rojo who was reelected for another term in 1988. In that year also homologous Negotiation Minutes signed between the Chancellor and the mayors of the municipalities of Ayacucho, Carlos Casares, Coronel Pringles Coronel Suarez, Gene-ral Madariaga, General Villegas, Lauquen Trenque Pehuajó and launching into Project Open University Regional Centres of Open and Permanent Education (CREAP) base on which articulated courses and careers with non-contact mode.
During the tenure of the University Rector Red adopted a new Statute on March 23, 1990 leaving his purposes established in its role will be to preserve the cultural scientific heritage by promoting the creation of new knowledge that fundamentally relate to national issues and regional levels, forming the highest academic standards to all who access-edge base allow it to act effectively in building a more just and fraternal society, ga-sure democratic forms of distribution of knowledge and encouragement of consciousness criticism of their students.
In 1992 came the Red Arch Rector in charge of the engineer Jorge Sunday Petrillo who had served as dean of the Faculty of Engineering at that time. Reelected in 1996 ended his term on May 22, 2000, continuing in the office of Rector of the University Dr. Gustavo Daleo during the period 2000-2004.
Currently, the Chancellor's management is responsible for the architect Daniel Medina, who is in office during the period 2004 to 2008.