University description (as per official university website)
The Universidad Nacional de La Plata, founded in 1905 by Dr. Joaquín Víctor González, arises from the confluence of two fundamental concepts. On the one hand, the traditional interpretation of the term "University" as natural field of knowledge. In addition, the current idea of scientific knowledge based experimental, social and artistic in its various forms.
With over a century of experience, remains a pioneer in studies and cultural developments, artistic and scientific advance. This has given him the reputation which places it among the largest in the country, the Americas and the world. Teaching, research and extension constitute the basic pillars of this university.
Currently has 17 faculties, studying more than 90 thousand students.
In recent years, enrollment has averaged close to 22,000 applicants, of whom 18,500 actually enter. Its classrooms around 4,500 students graduate annually.
The academic offerings of the UNLP includes 118 undergraduate and 166 -155 degrees, graduate (85% are accredited or pending by the National Assessment and Accreditation-CONEAU-), besides some 500 postgraduate courses . It also has 49 free lectures under the President, in addition to the many who work in the faculties.
In the undergraduate academic offerings included five junior colleges with an enrollment of close to 5 000 students.
Plant workers UNLP comprises some 10,900 graduate and undergraduate teaching, and 2,900 non-teachers.
The Presidency Building, the headquarters of this house of higher learning, located in the heart of the city of La Plata in the Avenida 7 No. 776.
The university also has 141 research and development centers where they perform their activity about 3,500 researchers. It also has a Natural Science Museum (and a thematic network of 12 museums), an astronomical observatory, a Public Library (and a network of 21 libraries), an Editorial, an AM-FM Radio, an Institute of Physical Education with a Sports Field, University Dining four sites, where they eat each day about 4,500 students and a university hostel for 400 students and teachers, close-enabled.
The History of the Universidad Nacional de La Plata begins to take shape in the late nineteenth century, when then Senator Aires Rafael Hernandez drove the initiative to create a university that would answer the needs renewed scientific, technical and cultural girls manifested generations began to inhabit the newly founded city of La Plata, the new capital of the province of Buenos Aires.
In mid-1889 formed an important current of opinion in favor of the creation of the provincial house of studies that led to the penalty, on 27 December of that year, the applicable law. On January 2, 1890 was enacted by Governor Maximo Paz. However, the standard did not have effective enforcement until the February 8, 1897, when Gov. William Udaondo decreed that observe the law and constituted the Provincial University of La Plata.
The brand new house of studies was launched publicly on April 18, 1897 under the leadership of Dr. Dardo Rocha, who was elected as its first Rector, and extended his academic career until 1905. Started functioning with three faculties-law, Fisicomathematics and Chemistry and School of Midwifery.
University between 1897 and 1905 worked in poor conditions due to lack of material resources and education elements. During the course of 1904 the apparent decline of the Provincial University did not escape the intellectual and political vision, and this was reflected mainly in the low turnout of their classrooms.
By then, the Minister of Justice and Public Instruction of the Nation, the Rioja Joaquín V. Gonzalez, began to develop in his mind the idea of establishing a university in the city of National character, founded on the basis of the ailing Provincial University and other institutes of higher education already exist.
In that year the then Minister of Justice and Public Instruction's Office, Dr. Joaquín Víctor González, conceived the idea of nationalizing, giving the capital of the province of a modern university, a scientific basis. To do this put special emphasis on research, university extension, the ongoing exchange of teachers with the centers of excellence abroad, and the need for continuing education including for this purpose one primary and one secondary school, both experimental.
On February 12, 1905, Gonzalez sent to the governor of Buenos Aires, Marcelino Ugarte, a comprehensive report which analyzes the advantages of organizing a new university. On the basis of that document was signed on 12 August of that year an agreement ad referendum of the Nation and the Province for the establishment of the National University. The agreement provided for the assignment to the National Museum, the Astronomical Observatory, the astronomy faculty and Veterinary Practice School Santa Catalina, the Institute of Arts and Crafts, the land where he was later built the National School, Normal School, the building of the Banco Hipotecario, a plot of land on Plaza Rocha (now University Library), and a number of houses and farms.
The agreement was approved by Congress and the Provincial Legislature, and on September 19 was enacted into national law of creation that bears the number 4699, then passed on September 25 by decree of President Quintana.
On March 17, 1906 assumed as the first President in the history of the Universidad Nacional de La Plata Dr. Joaquín V. González, and thereafter began its sustained growth. With the addition of several institutes and the creation of new colleges and faculties, the Universidad Nacional de La Plata took shape and reputation as one of the most advanced within and outside the country. Over the years strengthened the realization of this all-encompassing idea that, at present, is an institution open to all branches of knowledge and creation. The principles of respect, freedom and justice that drove the university reform movement of 1918, found an echo not only in the La Plata campus community but throughout the American university community. Could it be otherwise when delivering educational content to coincide with the new paradigm of the University Reform, based on empirical support for the knowledge and the removal of all dogmatism.