University description (as per official university website)
The Catholic University of Salta is a private, Catholic faith, which enjoys the greatest degree of autonomy according to law.
Its creation is the result of tireless work of two visionaries: The Most Reverend, the first Archbishop of Salta Monsignor Roberto José Tavella, SS, and Dr. Robustiano Patron Costas, a man of out-standing experience in business and political function, and in this, and founder of Ingenio San Martín del Tabacal Refinery.
In 1958 and during the presidency of Dr. Arturo Frondizi, Law 14,557 was enacted, authorizing the establishment of private universities.
Through his company, Dr. Robustiano Patron Costas provided the necessary capital, contributing one hundred fifty million pesos, go entirely to the creation of this University.
The Society of Jesus took hold of the organization and academic direction of the new university, established as a condition for starting the existence of a library, at least, fifteen thousand volumes and a campus of fifty acres.
The books were donated by Dr. Juan Carlos García Santillán and earth for Mr. Jaime Duran. Héctor Ezcurra Architect designed the building plans, donating their fees by way of contribution. Ms. Carmen Patron Costas won a manor house, whose sales amount should be earmarked for the building of the Chapel and Mr. Jorge Luis Matasi grow the park on campus, donating the plants needed.
Finally, Archbishop Decree dated March 19, 1963, was created at the Catholic University of Salta.
On May 21, 1963 died His execelente Reverend Monsignor Roberto José Tavella, who during the long illness that afflicted the issue remained a priority for the realization of the university. His successor, His Excellency Most Reverend Carlos Mariano Pérez Eslava, SS, he focused with equal enthusiasm to the noble cause from the moment of his inauguration, on April 2, 1964.
For its part, the September 24, 1965, died Dr. Robustiano Patron Costas who, before dying and sick, had entrusted the task to his son, Ing.Eduardo Patron Costas, who took as his own the project and were responsible personally to pave all obstacles to honor and fulfill their father's command.
The statutes were approved on June 15, 1964. On September 2, 1965, the Ministry of Education and Justice's Office granted the license to use the University name, as he managed the temporary authorization. Elected Patron of the University's Doctor of the Church of Saint Teresa of Jesus, his day of the Saints was chosen to place the cornerstone Castañares Field, 15 October 1966. Since its inception, the Archbishop of Salta in the exercise serves as Chancellor.
Classes began to be issued in March 1967 in the College building Belgrano, whose rector, Father Ramon Urcelay, CRL, graciously gave loan facility pending enable Castañares Country. The first rector was Fr. Edward Justen, SJ, Ph.D., whom he accompanied as the Academic Vice Rector Fr. Eduardo Martínez, SJ, who emphasized the importance of general studies which accompanied the specific studies, saying that "it is and aims at the formal development of human faculties in three dimensions: basic knowledge, mental knowledge critical and speculative interest in human. general studies give the student a strictly scientific approach to their studies, an approach that will more suitable for professional practice with genuine creativity and an integrative view of science, of man, society and the world, much larger than it has to look after the small field in his career. "
The interim authorization to operate was granted by National Executive Decree No. 2227/68, while the final approval was by National Executive Decree N ° 491/82. Fifteen years later and by virtue of demonstrated academic excellence, by Resolution of the Ministry of Culture and Education's No. 193/88, it eliminates the final test of professional competence.
The initial academic units were the College of Arts and Sciences, Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Economics and Management and the School of Social Service.
The first campus buildings were inaugurated in 1969, where he started teaching from the second half.
Since its inception, the University had the support of the community in Salta, in which a large group of citizens formed the Friends of the Catholic University of Salta, and monthly financial support during their first years of life.
For his part, Michel Torino Foundation made a substantial donation to the Auditorium was built, and its dissolution, donated to the University different properties.
On March 25, 1985, with the death of Most Reverend Bishop Carlos Mariano Pérez Eslava, took the Archdiocese of Salta His Most Reverend Moses July Blanchoud, who resigned for reasons of age on August 6, 1999.
Currently, he serves as Chancellor of the Catholic University of Salta Most Reverend the Archbishop of Salta Monsignor Mario Antonio Cargnello, who fully assumed his duties on August 6, 1999, after having served as Archbishop Coadjutor from June 24, 1998 to date of full ownership, thus becoming the fourth archbishop, and tenth Diocesan Bishop of the Archdiocese of Salta, founded as a diocese on March 28, 1806 by His Holiness Pius VII by the Bull "Regalium principum "and elevated to an Archdiocese by His Holiness Pius XI on September 20, 1934.