Saint James School of Medicine
University description (as per official university website)
The mission of Saint James School of Medicine is to help motivated students realize the dream of a medical career irrespective of their ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds. We use innovative teaching methods to shape the minds and spirits of our students and help transform them into compassionate healers of the human body and mind.
As the demand for qualified physicians escalates, the cost of medical education increases while medical schools limit the number of students. Saint James School of Medicine offers an affordable medical education to individuals throughout the world who wish to pursue their dream of a career in medicine. We are committed to training students to think, to solve problems, and to apply their knowledge to the care and well being of their patients, and society. It is our belief that a high quality medical education should be affordable and accessible to everyone.
In 1999, Saint James School of Medicine was approved by the Federal Government of the Netherlands Antilles, and the university became operational in 2001. The project is a combined one, bringing together the island government of Bonaire and a consortium of highly experienced medical educators and physicians from universities and colleges in the United States and Europe. The basic science and clinical rotation programs are fully compatible with US medical school programs, with special reference to the requirements of USMLE.
The Saint James School of Medicine Anguilla campus welcomed its first students in January 2010, following ten years of successful education on the Bonaire campus. SJSM has grown tremendously since its inception and currently has more than 250 students across two campuses, with more than 200 students carrying out their clinical clerkships in the United States.
Saint James School of Medicine is approved and recognized by a variety of agencies, organizations, and governments. As a result, students and graduates are eligible for residency training and licensure in the United States and Canada. The curriculum at Saint James has been designed to prepare students for the United States Medical Licensure Examination (USMLE). By completing the program at the Saint James School of Medicine, students are eligible to become a doctor in the United States or Canada.
- Saint James School of Medicine is listed in the World Health Organization (WHO) World Directory of Medical Schools. This has been incorporated into the new Avicenna Directories, a global directory of education institutions for health professions.
- Saint James School of Medicine is listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED) of the Foundation for the Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER).
- The Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) has granted permission for students to take the USMLE exam and apply for ECFMG certification, which is required for entry into a residency program in the United States.
- The Medical Council of Canada (MCC) has granted permission to students to sit for all qualifying examinations required to obtain a license to practice medicine in Canada.
- Saint James School of Medicine is approved by the Federal Government of the Netherlands-Antilles.
- The Department of Health Professions of the Israeli Ministry of Health has granted permission to the students of Saint James School of Medicine to appear for all qualifying examinations required to obtain licensing to practice medicine in Israel.
- The Government of Bonaire has granted a charter to Saint James School of Medicine allowing the school to award a medical degree to those students who successfully complete the approved curriculum.