Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Puerto Rico
Ponce, Puerto Rico
University description (as per official university website)
The Mission of the Catholic University of Puerto Rico is to celebrate and promote the life and dignity of the human person and educate, according to Gospel values in the disciplines of current scientific knowledge to build a better local and global world.
We accomplish this mission to through a dynamic educational experience of encounter, critical and creative, framed in Christian friendship and committed to the search for answers and solutions to the challenges of culture and the challenges of the Puerto Rican reality, Caribbean and global level a harmonious and serene.
The Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico will be the first choice of Christian formation and academic excellence and integral to the adventure and the fullness of life.
The history of the Catholic University is both the story of a community, as well as their academic progress in general have been the result of hard work and dedication of the members who compose it.
Founded in 1948 by initiative of the bishops of Puerto Rico: James E. Bishop McManus, CSSR, Bishop of the Diocese of Ponce, and BE James Davis, Bishop of the Diocese of San Juan, who in the spring of that year announced the people of Puerto Rico the founding of the Catholic University. Originally took the name of Santa Mary. The first 193 students gathered in rooms assigned by the Capuchin Fathers and the Sisters of St. Joseph in the Colegio San Conrado Ponce. The following year, 1949, the first Community College was able to open the campus, an area of 120 acres acquired by the Government of Puerto Rico.
In the beginning, the Catholic University was affiliated to the Catholic University of America in Washington. The Board of Regents of the University of New York State granted a charter which recognizes as an institution of higher education with programs leading to academic degrees and professional. At the end of its first year, the University was accredited by the Council on Higher Education of Puerto Rico and in 1953 the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, which was renewed this accreditation in 1973, 1983 and 1993.
The Pontifical Catholic University emerged as a requirement of our Puerto Rican society, especially the southern region to meet the growing demand for education of youth. In the beginning all efforts were directed toward the arts, sciences and teacher training. Then he developed the College of Education programs leading to Associate Degree in Education, Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education and Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education . Since 1954 the Department of Commerce awarded degrees in Business Administration and Secretarial Science. Among the branches of science, appeared in 1956 a strong nursing program to meet the needs in this sector, are being felt Puerto Rico. Catholic University has grown rapidly and firmly, ready to address those areas requiring educational services. In the professional field has greatly expanded its offerings, from training teachers for primary level to develop a range of careers.
With a sense of responsibility, the Catholic University has sought at all times to provide greater educational opportunities to the people of Puerto Rico. To this has also created three enclosures and extramural programs, has established evening sessions, Hartnell and summer.
In 1961, the Commerce Department went to a Division of Commerce. The law school also was opened this year. In January 1962 he created the College of Education. To provide educational opportunities were organized separately the Colleges of Arts and Humanities, College of Sciences and the College of Business Administration. In 1967 the Master of Education program, which was approved by the Board of Regents of State University of NY in 1968. The School of Medical Technology was established in 1967 and was approved by the American Medical Association in 1968. In March 1971 was approved by the Master's in Business Administration which had commenced operations in August 1969. The Master of Science programs in Nursing and Master of Arts in Hispanic Studies began in August 1976. School of Medicine began in 1976. The first courses were offered in January 1977. It was reorganized as a foundation under the name of the Ponce School of Medicine in 1979 and maintains good academic and research with the University.
The Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico is open to new responsibilities, continually challenged by our changing society, but always faithful to the mission and goals that give reason to be, trying to be clear and definite in their projects.
Year after year out of our classrooms men and women who together with members of our society have in their hands the task of creating a world worthy of human beings. This is a challenge that the University can accept only if it is continually renewed.