University description (as per official university website)
The University of Santo Domingo was established by the Bull In Apostolatus Culmine, issued on October 28, 1538, by Pope Paul III, who rose to that category, the General Survey was run by the Dominicans since 1518, in Santo Domingo, headquarters this colonial settlement and the oldest colonial settlement in the New World.
The University of Alcalá de Henares, was his model and as such was the standard bearer of resurgent ideas that arose from the medieval world, which emerged in Spain in the days of the conquest.
"The University began teaching emerging organized into four faculties: Medicine, Law, Theology and Arts, under the rules established at the time for the institutions in the metropolis. Arts studies included two types, namely: the "trivium" which included grammar, rhetoric and logic and the "quadrivium", which includes arithmetic, geometry, astronomy and music. "
The mission of the University:
a) To contribute to raising the cultural levels of our society.
b) critically scientists, professionals, technicians and art professionals needed to further contribute
to the changes demanded by the independent national development.
c) Assume responsibility in the formation of a critical awareness of Dominican society, not dependent on the principles framed jointly supported by the peoples struggling for their independence and wellbeing.
d) Conduct research to improve the living conditions of Dominican society, to unravel the root causes of underdevelopment and dependence and problems as a result affecting it and suggest solutions, and increase the wealth of knowledge of the humanity.
e) To disseminate the ideals of peace, progress, social justice and respect for human rights, in order to contribute to the formation of a collective consciousness based on those values.
f) Strengthening the scientific, cultural, technical and artistic education and cultural institutions worldwide, within the framework of the above principles.
g) Promote within the institution of a permanent spirit of self-criticism with a view to full compliance with the university mission.
In 1801 following the Haitian occupation in the country, the University discontinued its operation because the Dominicans that the regent left the colony. It reopened in 1815, returning the colony to Spanish sovereignty, but from then adopts the secular nature.
Between 1815 and 1821 worked under the Rector Dr. José Núñez de Cáceres. The University closes its doors in 1822 because a large number of students were recruited for military service by order of the Haitian regime that ruled the nation. With the completion of the Independence of the Republic in 1844, is born in the Dominican will restore the University, a symbol of cultural tradition and the character of the newly acquired nationality.
Responding to this demand, the June 16, 1859, President Pedro Santana passed a law reintroducing the old University of Santo Domingo, with a composition similar to that of academic medieval universities (four faculties: Philosophy, Jurisprudence, Science and Medical Holy Scripture) and as an agency of central government through the Directorate General of Public Instruction and the State Secretariat for.
But for reasons of political contingencies, that provision was not implemented and the University is not reopened.
On December 31, 1866, was created by decree, the Professional Institute, which ran in place and replace the old University of Santo Domingo.
On May 10, 1891, the Professional Institute closed its doors, until the day August 16, 1895, which reappeared under the rector of Archbishop Merino.
On November 16, 1914, the President, Dr. Ramon Baez, who was also Rector of the Professional Institute, transformed by decree Professional Institute at University of Santo Domingo.
From 1916 to 1924, the University had to stop functioning as a result of American intervention.
During the 31 years the tyranny of the dictator Rafael Leonidas Trujillo, the University of Santo Domingo, as the other institutions of the country was deprived of the essential freedoms for the fulfillment of its lofty mission, becoming an instrument of political control spread of totalitarian slogans, before whose losses were to no avail the limited progress achieved materials that the institution in those years of despotic rule, as was the acquisition of land and the construction of the Ciudad Universitaria.
University autonomy and jurisdiction
Law No.5778 of December 31, 1961 gave the University of autonomy. From that moment he began to struggle to achieve the institutional balance and a climate of cooperation that would enable develop their creative faculties. But after three decades under the iron will of a regime against all forms of human communication that does not serve its interests, was unable, initially, to use the newly acquired freedom and self-government to fulfill its mission of improving cultural par service and economic development of our people.
On February 17, 1962, was elected the first authorities under the regime of autonomy.
Deletion of the Charter
The 5778 Law on the autonomy enshrined also parallel campus forum, but this was suppressed by the de facto government of the Triumvirate, Law NO.292, 12 June 1964.