University description (as per official university website)
The University of Nicosia is an independent, co-educational, equal opportunity tertiary education institution, combining the best elements in western education, quality standards and an international philosophy.
Located in Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus, an island which lies at the cross-roads of three continents, the University has quickly become a global education centre. International in philosophy, the University hosts students from all over the world, in a multicultural learning environment, promoting friendship, cooperation and understanding.
The University pursues excellence in education through high teaching standards, in a continually improving academic environment. Besides classroom instruction, the University offers students opportunities to become involved in a whole range of activities including student clubs, sports, public lectures and seminars.
The University is actively involved in European and local research projects as a partner and as a coordinating institution. Additionally, the University of Nicosia received approval for an Erasmus University Charter and is an official participant in the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). The University of Nicosia is also actively involved in the community with campaigns for various causes, including environmental protection. In recognition of this work the institution received the prestigious “Global 500” award from the United Nations. Other examples of community service include campaigns for fighting world hunger and raising funds for worthy causes. In an ongoing project, professors help prison inmates acquire knowledge and skills in Computing, Art and Psychology.
Academic tradition encourages the majority of the world’s universities to adopt the name of the city which hosts them. Indeed, this occurs almost as a rule when the city in question happens to be the capital city. The University of Nicosia is proud of the ties and status which its name conveys. To this end, the University is committed to maintaining its position at the forefront of education, research and social service; in line with the enduring motto of the institution: “Excellence in Education”.
• Help students become educated individuals, achieve their academic and professional goals and assume responsible roles in a changing world of European cooperation and global interdependence;
• Promote research and the generation of knowledge for the benefit of Cyprus and the wider world
• Be of service to society through dissemination and application of knowledge, as well as through innovative partnerships with business and civil society institutions.
To foster within the University community the values of:
• personal and academic integrity
• the liberty to question and to pursue knowledge
• respect for the laws of the Cyprus Republic and the European Union, and the rules of the University
• democratic governance and management of the institution
• respect for persons
• professionalism and diligence
• ethical behaviour
• civic responsibility
• multi-cultural awareness and tolerance
• sustainability of resources.
(a) The aims of the University are as follows:
· The promotion of science, knowledge, learning and education through teaching and research for the benefit of society.
· The cultivation, transmission, application and inter-disciplinary exchange of knowledge.
· The provision of high quality undergraduate and graduate education that is internationally recognized, and of other programmes of study which are of an international standard.
(b) The above aims of the University are achieved through:
· The creation of an independent academic structure that ensures the free and democratic functioning of academic processes.
· The granting of undergraduate, graduate and other degrees and awards, in a wide spectrum of studies.
· The provision of the opportunity for university level education to persons who meet the University’s entrance requirements.
· The promotion of knowledge and its practical applications, through teaching, research and other means, at high standards of quality, and the provision of facilities to this end.
· The provision of life-long learning, training and supplementary programmes of study.
· The integration of education with society and the economy.
· Active participation in addressing the needs of society.
· An international presence and promotion of the University as a centre of attraction for students and scholars from other countries.
· The cooperation with research and educational centres and the promotion of European cooperation and understanding through education.
· The provision of consulting and other services to organizations and social groups outside the University.
· The safeguarding of academic freedom and free academic pursuit of knowledge.
· The submission to the Government and other relevant authorities of responsible reporting regarding its functioning.
(c) Moreover, the University strives to:
· Remain firmly committed to the economic, social, scientific, and cultural development of Cyprus.
· Develop as an international university, where Cypriot and international students, faculty, and staff are valued for their cultural diversity.
· Recruit and retain qualified faculty and support their development.
· Encourage research, publications, and creative activity.
· Strengthen facilities, resources, and services, to provide a stimulating environment conducive to personal growth, discovery and learning.
· Continually review and update programmes, to keep pace with developments and standards in international higher education.
· Enhance student communication, democratic leadership and critical thinking.
· Expand opportunities for professional and social interaction.
· Implement the University motto “excellence in education” by encouraging students, faculty and staff to strive for excellence in every activity.