University description (as per official university website)
The American College is a private institution of higher education committed to meeting the educational and professional needs of its students. The College aims to help its students develop a strong knowledge base. In addition, it aims to encourage its students develop a strong knowledge base. In addition, it aims to encourage its students to achieve their potential and prepares its graduates for career and/or academic advancement. Finally, the College strives to help its students maintain and foster ethical, fair and honest behaviors in all their endeavors.
The College aims to underpin its mission by meeting the following objectives:
* To recruit and retain qualified faculty dedicated to excellence in teaching;
* To promote and support research and scholarship, academic freedom and faculty development;
* To recruit and retain qualified administrators dedicated to adequately servicing the students' needs;
* To offer programs of study of high quality that can respond to the current and future needs of the society;
* To introduce and maintain adequate educational facilities, resources and services of high quality that can provide a stimulating environment conducive to learning; and
* To have a clear organizational and administrative structure and employ effective policies, procedures and regulations that can support the College in achieving its mission.
THE AMERICAN COLLEGE HISTORY
The American College was founded in 1975. Its mission was to provide high-quality education that would satisfy the needs of its students. It started as a private institute teaching accounting and English language and in 1979 it commenced offering its first higher education program of study - the one year program in secretarial studies. In 1985 the College introduced its first two year programs in Business Studies, Computer Studies, Hotel Management and Travel & Tourism. In 1986 the College established its first academic links with universities abroad and in 1988 the American College admitted its first international students. One year later the College started offering its first bachelor degrees and since then there has been a continuous addition of programs of study. In 2005 the College introduced its first postgraduate program - the Master in Business Administration.
Today the American College is a leading international College offering world-class undergraduate and postgraduate programs. Through its broad range of programs, the College provides students from Cyprus and around the world with the depth of understanding and intellectual flexibility they need to respond to the challenges they will face in the years to come. The American College sustains a superior faculty dedicated to excellence in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, and research. The College strategic goal is to continue meeting the needs of its students and providing innovative programs that can respond in a timely manner to societal issues and problems.