University description (as per official university website)
The provision of education began on September 17, 1918 with a special engineering course held at the engineering school established by Estonian Engineering Society, where tuition was given in the Estonian language. The curricula available were: mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, shipbuilding, hydraulic engineering, civil engineering and architecture. In the next year the departments of amelioration, surveying and technical chemistry were added.
Today, tuition is provided by 8 faculties and 4 colleges. Being the flagship of Estonian engineering and technical education, TUT has app. 14, 000 students and 2000 employees (incl. 1200 faculty members).
The mission of Tallinn University of Technology is to support Estonia’s sustainable development through scientific creation and science-based higher education in the field of engineering, technology, natural and social sciences.
Facts and figures
Marit Meri, 02.03.2010, E-mail to author, Print
Founded as engineering college in 1918, TUT acquired university status in 1936.
TUT is one of the largest universities in Estonia, providing an interdisciplinary higher education and technological advancement.
TUT has over 14 000 students and personnel of 1 932 (incl. affiliated institutions). The University offers engineering and economics diploma, bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programmes.
University is organized into
33 departments and 113 chairs,
9 faculty research centres, and
10 affiliated institutions.
Academic year: September to June
Languages of instruction: Estonian, general subjects are also available in Russian. Since September 2003, TUT offers 6 international programmes some special study modules taught in English.
Personnel (Number in positions), January 2010
ACADEMIC STAFF 864
Teaching staff 518
Associate professors 143
Research staff 345
ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF 580
Study support services
Administrative services 223
TOTAL 1 414
AFFILIATED INSTITUTIONS 558
Academic staff 248
TUT+AFFILIATED institutions 1 932
Number of students as of Oct.1, 2009
APPLIED SCIENCE STUDIES
80.6 ha of which campus at Mustamäe 53 ha. Total area - 150 000 m2
72 buildings, of which
18 are study buildings
affiliated institutions - 15 buildings
Expectable annual budget for 2008 - 1 471,1 mill.EEK (94.0 mill. EUR)
Education 468,4 mill. EEK and R&D 442,1 mill. EEK
TUT annual budget 2007 - 1 106 mill. EEK (70.7 mill. EUR)
Education 386,2 mill. EEK and R&D 424,2 mill. EEK
Tallinn University of Technology was established in 1918, university rights were obtained in 1936.
The provision of education began on September 17, 1918 with a special engineering course held at the engineering school established by Estonian Engineering Society, where tuition was provided in the Estonian language. The curricula available were: mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, shipbuilding, hydraulic engineering, civil engineering and architecture. In 1919, the school was renamed as Tallinn College of Engineering and the departments of amelioration, surveying and technical chemistry were added. To meet the requirements of the defence forces, the department of marine engineering-mechanics was opened.
Established as a private school, Tallinn College of Engineering was declared a state institution in 1920. The programme was split into the pre, basic and advanced levels. The pre-level lasted for three years and provided elementary knowledge for further studies. The basic level provided the qualification of a technician and graduates of the advanced level (both with the duration of 3 semesters) were conferred the qualification of an engineer or architect. The pre-level was detached from the college and reorganized into independent state-owned technological gymnasium in 1923; the advanced level was reorganized into technical university.
In 1923, the State Laboratory of Materials Testing was opened at Tallinn College of Engineering for conducting basic and applied researches on the use of local natural resources in the building, power engineering and chemical industries.
Tartu University began the provision of engineering education in 1934. However, in two years time, its Faculty of Engineering was transferred to Tallinn College of Engineering. By the 15 September 1936 Act of the Head of State, the school was granted the status of University and named as Tallinn Technical Institute. The institute had three departments: civil engineering, chemistry and mechanics and mechanical technology. By the enactment of the Universities Act, the name of Tallinn Technical Institute was changed into Tallinn University of Technology in 1938. The university had two faculties: civil and mechanical engineering and chemistry and mining. New laboratories were provided for research and the university began awarding degrees. Admission to electrical specialities started a year later, the Faculty of Economics was opened in 1940. In 1958 the Faculty of Power Engineering and in 1965 the Faculty of Control Engineering were opened.
In 1941 and 1944–1989 the university bore the name Tallinn Polytechnic Institute. The name was restored back to Tallinn University of Technology in 1989.
All the changes that accompanied the regaining of independence by Estonia, triggered the reorientation of the engineering and economist education to the needs and availabilities of the young sovereignty. The academic system, the principles of administration and the financing – all needed improvement.
In 1991, the transfer to subject-based tuition began, in 1992 the academic structure of TUT was reorganized, in 1993 the new management structure was introduced and in 1995 the Bachelor’s study was launched. The new Statutes of TUT that took effect in February 1996 were laid down on the basis of the newly enacted Universities Act. In 1997, admission to the Diploma study started.
TUT is an internationally oriented university. Following the Bologna declaration, signed by a large number of European countries, TUT transferred to the 3+2 year curriculum design (three years of bachelor and two years of master studies). In its academic activity, the university is following the principles of Magna Charta of European universities. The number of full-time International Degree Programmes taught in English is increasing. Our curricula are accredited.
The scientific potential of the University got a boost with the incorporation of new efficient scientific establishments at the turn of the century, when a number of institutes formerly belonging to the Estonian Academy of Sciences were incorporated into TUT: Institute of Geology, Institute of Cybernetics and Institute of Marine Systems plus Technomedicum – a research, development and educational institution established in 2006. TUT has four colleges in various corners of Estonia: Tallinn College, Tartu College, Kuressaare College and Virumaa College. Another major project is Tallinn Technology Park, launched to enhance the competitiveness of our innovative knowledge-intensive companies, thereby improving the overall efficiency of our economy.
TUT campus has expanded considerably since the laying of the cornerstone of the Faculty of Mechanics building (now building V) in spring 1962. Within six years all buildings, the library and the assembly hall were completed.
In the early 21st century extensive construction began anew, now based on the TUT Strategic Plan 2001–2005, prescribing relocation of TUT faculties previously scattered all over Tallinn to the Mustamäe campus. In 2001, TUT Registered Immovable Development Plan was approved by the Council of the University and Tallinn City Government. Consequently, several new buildings were constructed: the Building of Power Engineering, the new Institute of Geology, the new student dormitory and the Academic Hostel. A number of buildings were also reconstructed: the Building of Natural Sciences, the Sports Building, the Timber Building, one old dormitory, the historical main building of the university in Kopli, the assembly hall etc.
The new IT College building was opened in the campus in March 2008; the dormitory II at Akadeemia tee 7/1 was completed by December the same year. The fully renovated dormitory III at Akadeemia tee 7/2 and an underground parking lot were completed by autumn 2009. TUT Scientific Library and the new building of the faculties of economics and business administration and social sciences were opened in 2009.
The Alley of the Academicians was built into the courtyard of the main building in 1986 (sculptor Aime Kuulbusch-Mölder, architect Rein Luup). Busts of the following academicians stand in the courtyard: Agu Aarna, Albrecht Altma, Arnold Humal, Paul Kogerman, Harri Käär, Ottomar Madison, Jüri Nuut, Boris Tamm, Juhan Vaabel, August Velner, Aleksander Voldek and Ilmar Öpik. The alley was redesigned in 2008 in connection with the celebration of the 90th jubilee of the university.