University description (as per official university website)
The main objectives of the university:
- Meeting the needs of the individual in intellectual, cultural, physical and moral development through higher and postgraduate education on the basis of the unity of the educational process and scientific research;
- Meeting the needs of society for qualified specialists with higher education, which combines deep professional knowledge, high culture and civic participation, implementation of educational programs on the higher, pre-university, postgraduate, supplementary and other forms of education in the field of natural history, humanities and technical sciences;
- Organizing and conducting fundamental research and applied research work aimed at solving economic, scientific, and social problems, facilitating the acceleration of research findings into practice, an international, national, regional academic, scientific and practical conferences, symposiums, expert;
- Promote the dissemination of scientific knowledge among the population, taking the necessary measures to maintain and strengthen the authority of the university as a center of science, culture and education in the region and the city, the implementation of activities aimed at joining the University in the global scientific and educational spheres, the development of international relations and strengthening its credibility ;
- Education of science teachers and students on the basis of universal values, good citizenship, respect for national traditions and rights of other nations.
Educational Establishment Brest State University named after AS Pushkin (BrGU) - the oldest university Brest. In 1995, he became the University of Brest State Pedagogical Institute named after AS Pushkin founded on the basis of Brest Teachers' Institute (existed 1945-1950)..
Getting the university status led to qualitative changes in the educational, scientific and educational work. Today Brest State University named after AS Collection - the largest institution of the Brest region, the center of scientific research and the cultural life of south-west of Polesie.
The University is located in three buildings, has four dormitories, a sports complex with swimming pool, library, Museum of Biology, Ethnographic Museum, Geological Museum and the Museum of the History of Physical Education of the Brest region, agrobiological academic, sporting and recreational facilities. 18 computer classes BrGU to a local network with free access to the Internet and email service provider.
The University has a publishing house with a printing facility, which allows you to publish textbooks, manuals, monographs, collections of scientific works of teachers and students. It turns out the scientific-theoretical journal "Bulletin of the University of Brest, a collection of scientific works" Proceedings of the BrGU name AS Pushkin and the newspaper "Brest University. The book fund of the University Library - over 800 thousand copies, there is an electronic catalog of the library fund.
Education in BrGU carried out in three profiles: the scientific, humanitarian and teacher. For 55 departments of the University employs more than 600 teachers, among them 21 doctors, 21 professor, 249 PhDs, 231 professor.
BrGU cooperates with foreign universities and organizations: Higher School of Education in Weingarten (Germany), Graduate School of Education in Kroytslingene (Switzerland), with many schools in Poland, Smolensk State Pedagogical University named after Sholokhov MA, Bryansk State University, Siberia State Aerospace University Reshetnev, Krasnoyarsk State Medical Academy (Russia), University of the province Xiaogang and Huh-Hotosskim professional Institute (China), Graduate School of the province of Drenthe (Netherlands), University of Leuven (Belgium) and others.
November 5, 2002 order of the Minister of Education of the Republic of Belarus Rector of Brest State University named after AS Pushkin appointed doctor of historical sciences, professor Chesnovsky Mieczyslaw Edvardovich.