University description (as per official university website)
History of Higher Education in Pardubice reaches its beginnings in the early months after the end of WW2 and is closely linked with the development of transportation networks and food, machinery and chemical industries, city and region. In the autumn of 1945 came forward aggressively with the chemical plant site for the University of Chemical in Pardubice and five years later, on 27 June 1950, by the Czechoslovak government was established. Teaching was started on 15 October 1950 in adapted premises bakery and confectionary technical college. In the next academic year was the need for a high school building governed by the former state industrial school, which is still part of the main building of the Faculty of Chemical Technology Square Cs. legion. In November 1953 the school changed status and the Government created the Institute of Chemical Technology in Pardubice, known by the acronym ICT, headed by the rector.
College in the "City chemistry quickly developed. The original four-year study has changed in five years, students could choose from seven progressively specialized chemistry and technical chemistry, whose number has doubled in later years. Theoretical courses have become a natural part of teaching and scientific research activities, continuous at all departments. At school, there were many eminent scientists and educators. For all can recall at least the prof. Miroslav Jurečka, founder of the Czech school of organic analysis, prof. George Klikorku, first and longtime rector of ICT, and doc. Jan Wanke, important analyst, who along with other outstanding specialists also became the founder of the first specialized departments of universities.
For an increasing number of students and teachers was the need for new lecture halls and laboratories. More than 15 years, took the progressive construction of needed educational, scientific and scholarly and social background. At the beginning of 60 years was built on the outskirts of the town hall for the technology department and a historic building in the city center was added, the north and west wings. On the right bank of the Elbe were building a new university dormitory, cafeteria and physical education facilities, which serve students today.
A significant milestone in the history of the school became the 17th January 1991, it adopted a new statute, which was first introduced a two faculties: Faculty of Chemical Technology and the newly established Faculty of territorial administration, the foundation for future university. Opening of the Faculty of territorial administration, which in 1993 was renamed the Faculty of Economics and Administration, responded to the actual need for ICT skilled professionals in the field of state and local governments as well as for emerging private companies. Based on the project of the Ministry of Education was established in 1992 at the College of Foreign Languages Department, later renamed the Department of Languages and Humanities, which aims to secure at short enough qualified foreign language teachers for primary schools. He became the late 90 foundation years of the fourth, humanities and philology faculties of universities. The sharp turn of events in society and the emergence of the independent Czech Republic in 1993 has become the impetus for the emergence of traffic school. Because ICT and Pardubice might offer in the short term to ensure the necessary conditions can be from 1 April 1993 set up Jan Perner Transport Faculty, named after a major rail specialist and builder of Railways in Prague - Olomouc.
Z-time schools have become higher education institutions of university type, carrying from 31 March 1994 the new name, University of Pardubice. Another important chapter in the development of higher education in Pardubice began in January 2001 when the transformation of the Department of Languages and Humanities, was the fourth of Science University - Faculty of Humanities. This became the new millennium - along with fifty of the Faculty of Chemical Technology, Faculty of Economics and ten administrative and eight faculty Jan Perner Transport - the fourth pillar dotvářejícím Pardubice University in classical European tradition of college equivalent.
Expanding the school acquired a new building complex on the right bank of the Elbe River in the vicinity of the track, and it was in fact created the basis for a modern campus with great future potential. His heart is the University Library building, opened in fall 1997, which bears comparison with similar institutions abroad. For it was in 1999 finished the university auditorium and other auditoriums.
In 2002, founded two constituent parts - Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and Department of Health Studies.
In July 2005 the newly established Faculty of Litomysl restoration. In December the same year was renamed the Faculty of Humanities at the Faculty of Philosophy.
Since January 2008, the university has seven faculties. At 1 January 2007 was established Faculty of Health Studies, which was created from the former Department of Health Studies. A year later, also at 1 January 2008, was established Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, which was created from the former Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
At 1 February 2009 was a university institute - Centre for Materials Research.
For 60 years it has become a University of Chemical Technology and its successor the University of Pardubice major center of education, which brought up to fifteen thousand highly skilled professionals. University of Pardubice, with more than 9 thousand students and a number of graduate teachers, now the only college of university type in the Pardubice region, restores and enriches the life of the city and region as well as from the cultural and social grow into them firmly deep roots.
Perhaps in the future will be the University of Pardubice permanent motto proverb Omni Thesaurus Prćstř Sapientia et auro, then wisdom is better than gold and all the treasures of the world.