University description (as per official university website)
The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts includes in addition to the Academy, Royal Academy Art Schools, School of Conservation, Library and Arts. Art Academy was founded in 1754 and recently celebrated its 250th anniversary.
School of Architecture is located on the island, among a variety of creative education and businesses in a unique study environment, the city, harbor, canals and campus overlaid in a rare quality. The meeting between the city's current development around the harbor and the historic Copenhagen unfold right in front of the school warehouse gates, and the school tries to bring up architecture discussion at the highest level.
Architecture Students, teachers, researchers and school staff are in close network with both the international and national training elite and our ambitions for education and research is on behalf of the architectural profession, professional high.
The school website is one of our entrances, and the pages are under continuous development and change in line with developments in our training, our training, in exhibitions and in the school's research and publications.
The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts was founded in 1754 under the name of the Royal Danish portray, sculptor and Construction Academy in Kiøbenhavn as a gift to King Frederik the 5th on his 31 birthday.
It was a continuation of the painting and drawing academy, as Christian 6 and Frederik 5 created respectively. 1738 and 1748, which in turn was inspired by the earliest European, Royal Academy of Arts founded in 1648 in Paris.
The Academy was originally housed in a portion of Charlottenborg at Kongens Nytorv in Copenhagen.
The architect Nicolai Eigtved was the first director of the Academy, but the management was in the beginning - the very spirit of absolutism - of a royal person. Either the king or a prince sat in their meetings. Place the second director was Frenchman Saly, probably best known for the equestrian statue of Frederik the 5th at Amalienborg Palace Square.
An important year in Academy history 1771st Here name was changed to painting, sculpture and Construction Academies. The same year came Struense Reg, 21 June 1771, which required schools to not only to train artists, but also to provide training to artisans. Craft and art studios were so united.
The school changed its name again in 1814, this time to the Royal Academy of Fine Arts.
In 1857 distinguished art and technique so again as artisan training was transferred to The Tech Swiss Association School (now Copenhagen Technical School). King disappeared from the leadership and the school was academic.
Shortly after the turn of the century created - as a reaction against formal, international style-oriented studies - The Danish Class and a Building Technical School. Training Joined again the artistic and technical. Training as an architect was a great education. Kaare Klint furniture school opened again for artisans at the Academy.
From 1924 changed the course of free, individual instruction classroom with compulsory attendance. It introduced new specializations and curricula. The artistic, technical and social was in principle equivalent. The teaching was "modernized".
1924 was also the year when there was complete equality between the sexes as the specific model school for women was closed. Women could now be on equal footing with men apply for admission to the Academy.
In the middle of last century to join the Academy School of Architecture be the "center for artistic and scientific research work of building technical and architectural problems" and that it is for schools to "promote such research."
It began modernization continues in the formation of departments within architecture prerequisite disciplines. Teaching science done and school status of "research-based higher education."
In 1968 the Academy split into three autonomous institutions: the School of Architecture, Royal Academy Art School and the Royal Academy of Fine Arts. In 1973 Comes As Royal Academy School of Conservation.
School of Architecture was very popular among new students, so popular that in 1977 introduced access restrictions, so the school only admitted 285 new students per year. It was a very necessary measure, because pupil numbers had risen from 600 in 1969 to nearly 2,000 in 1977 without that funding had kept pace.
In 1995 came a new Government Act that gave the president more power to map out strategies and action plans. The rector is elected for a term of four years.
A new internal structure introduced in 1999 and thus becoming organized research in institutes and courses in study sections.
Bologna Declaration is implemented in 2002. This introduces 3 +2 +3 curriculum, ie. that study is divided into a three-year undergraduate, a two-year candidate and a three-year PhD.
From 1996 until 1999 School of Architecture moved gradually out of Holmen in newly refurbished premises. This allowed to pool school, which were previously scattered over the city, respectively. Charlottenborg, Nyhavn and Christianshavn.
School of Architecture is divided into nine studio units, all of which educates students to be architects, but each with their focus on discipline.
Once you have been admitted to school, you will during the first week be presented with all of the school. Study director, teacher and students from all departments to show their department forward with examples of what they work with.
Then choose the one department that you will go on. All new students delivered a priority list of four aspirations department. Study Office will puzzle to go up, so many people as possible get their wish fulfilled.
There will be opportunity to change department after the first year. This is done by contacting the Student Office before the summer recess.