University description (as per official university website)
The University of Vienna, was founded in 1365 by Duke Rudolf IV. It is the oldest university in the German-speaking world and one of the largest universities of Central Europe.
Currently at the University of Vienna approved around 86,000 students. At the University of 179 studies can be initiated, including 54 bachelor's, 112 master's, 5 and 8 doctoral graduate studies.
With approximately 8,900 employees, of which more than 6,700 scientists, the University of Vienna, the largest teaching and research institution in Austria. It is their goal to maintain the broad spectrum of disciplines, to promote new and innovative research areas and link the subjects more.
Research and teaching
Mission and objectives of the university is to create research and teaching of the highest quality and maintain. Research and teaching are understood as inseparable unit ("research-teaching"). A high level of research orientation and a combination of basic and applied research make the University attract the best minds.
Research and teaching at the University of Vienna include a wide range of scientific disciplines, from the Catholic and Protestant theology, law, economics, computer science, Historic Cultural Studies, Philological cultural studies, philosophy and educational science, psychology, social sciences, mathematics, physics, chemistry to geosciences , geography, astronomy, life science, translational science, sports science and molecular biology.
Locations of the University of Vienna
The scientific institutions of the University of Vienna are spread over 60 locations. The center is the historic main building at the Vienna Ringstrasse. Here are the university administration, the university library, administrative facilities, some institutes and deans' offices and many classrooms and lecture hall, the largest lecture hall of the university.
Another spatial center is the nearby campus of the University of Vienna, in which most of the cultural institutions are housed and the new Lecture Hall was built.
Other major sites of the University of Vienna are the sports center on the enamel, the university center in the Althanstraße, the law school in the Scottish Bastion, the Schenk street behind the Burgtheater, the Business Center in Brno Street and the Campus Vienna Biocenter in the Dr.-Bohr- alley.
The University of Vienna has traditionally been strong international relations in research and teaching, and building those relationships from running. It is part of the ERASMUS / SOCRATES program and is a member of several international networks, including in the ASEA-Uninet, the Network of European Capital Universities (UNICA) and the European University Association (EUA).
Of the 344 European partner universities, the University of Vienna operates with 331 universities to Erasmus partnership. Students from around 130 countries take advantage of the more than 10,000 courses per year at the University of Vienna.
History of the University of Vienna
On 12 March 1365 based Duke Rudolph IV (the founder) modeled on the Paris Sorbonne, the University of Vienna, "Alma Mater Rudolphina Vindobonensis", as she mentioned in literary sources. Thus, it is established after the 1348 Prague's Charles University, the second oldest university in Central Europe. The members of the "universitas magistrorum et scholarium" (the community of teachers and students) are exempt from taxes and military service, they have their own dress code and jurisdiction, the latter is exercised by the rector.
Reformation - stagnation and dominance of the Jesuits
During the Reformation Martin Luther suffered from the University of Vienna in 1520 as a "papal institution" a strong loss of prestige. Through the first Turkish siege of Vienna (1529), recurrent disease, the economic decline of the city and the increased competition from universities, student numbers fall.
King Ferdinand I tried with reforms to counteract the University of Vienna and begins to expand to the Catholic stronghold. For this he cites the Jesuit order in 1551 to Vienna and transferred him two theological chairs. As a result, there is strong tensions and power struggles between the Jesuit school and university. Emperor Ferdinand II in 1623 adopts the "Sanctio Pragmatica. This assumes the Jesuit order in the teaching of the theological and philosophical faculty. The student numbers increase again sharply. The Jesuit Order reserves for the next 150 years its dominant position.
Enlightened Absolutism: The University as State College
Empress Maria Theresa is pressing since the mid-18th Century, the influence of the Jesuits returned to the university, as it has neglected the "secular" schools too much. Through the elimination of the church and the university's own facilities, the university into a state school is converted. The training of officials and doctors is important, but not the training of scholars.
With the implementation of the reforms of the imperial physician, Gerard van Swieten was instructed. His attention is paid to the medical and scientific disciplines. He introduces the training of medical students at the bedside and forms new professorships - chemistry and botany. In 1754, the Botanical Garden of the University of Vienna will be opened on the Rennweg.
Joseph II continues the Theresa reforms. In his reign, the special courts and the official academic dress to be abolished. As a result, the Josephine tolerance legislation can enroll for the first time in 1778 at the University of Protestants, 1782 Jews are the medical and law studies allowed. In 1783, the German language is introduced as a compulsory language of instruction.
1867: "Science and its teaching are free"
The Revolution of 1848 has significant consequences for the University of Vienna. Students require teaching and learning and an end to the repression of intellectual life. The enduring success of this ambition is still valid in the State Basic Law Article 17: "Science and its teaching are free." The Minister of Education Leo Graf Thun-Hohenstein reformed the education and higher education relies fundamentally and faculty to Vienna.
The new main building at the Ring
1884 Joseph opened the Emperor Francis I, designed by Henry of Ferstel built the main building of the University of Vienna on the Ringstrasse. The historicist State Hall is the famous Italian Renaissance universities modeled. The claim, comprehensive, central university building to have an all, is not met, at the beginning of all institutions are not the place. The upcoming Vienna Medical School needs more space, until 1915 the Institute created a number of buildings near the main building.
Read more: The main building as a historic center
Women at the University of Vienna
532 years pass since it was founded before 1897 is also permitted women to study at the University of Vienna, initially only at the Philosophical Faculty enroll. The Romance languages Elise Richter - she enrolled in 1897 - Habilitation in 1907 as the first woman at the University of Vienna.
War and reconstruction
The rise of the Vienna University learns from the turmoil of World War I a sudden interruption: The main building will be converted into a hospital, where the Great Festival Hall as a dining room and lounge, the little hall and several classrooms are used as operating rooms.
The Great Depression of the 1920s, nourishes the soil, the German national ideology, to open anti-Semitism at the university can also germinate. In 1938, after the Anschluss to the German Reich, the "coordination" of the University is carried out quickly. The result is a mass exodus of scientific: 45 percent of all professors and teachers be fired for political or racial reasons.
By war's end, the main building is damaged by bomb hits 26. The glass roof of the Reading Room of the library burst. The Red Army requisitioned the building, but on 16 April 1945 met the then student Kurt Schubert (1923-2007, Emeritus of Jewish Studies), the evacuation of the university. In late May 1945, despite starting the reconstruction work of the teaching activities for the summer.
Formation and expansion boom
The free university access in the 1970s raises an education boom, and has an unparalleled expansion of the University of Vienna to follow. The increasing numbers of students make new buildings and building adaptations required: New institute building (NIG, 1962), University Sports Centre at the smelting (1973), University Centre (UZA) I, Althanstraße (1982), Faculty of Law (1982), Business Administration Centre, Brno Straße (1991), Vienna Biocenter, Dr. Bohr-Gasse (1992), UZA II, Althanstraße (1995), Campus of the University of Vienna on the grounds of the former General Hospital (1998), Lecture Hall on the campus of the University of Vienna (2003).
21st Century: Restructuring - Status quo
The Universities Act 2002, universities will be transformed into autonomous institutions with more autonomy and performance orientation. For the University of Vienna has a complete reorganization of this result: The Medical Department is to first January 2004 as a university of its own outsourced. Currently, the University of Vienna is composed of 15 departments and three centers. 86 000 students can choose from about 180 courses of study. Approximately 8,900 employees, of which more than 6,700 scientists working at over 60 sites of the University of Vienna.