University description (as per official university website)
The history of the university
The long tradition of the University of Vechta, their recent peak with the establishment of an autonomous university by the first January 1995 was started on 2 August 1830 with the establishment of a Normal School by the Grand Duchy of Oldenburg. Building on the concepts of Münster reform educators Bernard Overberg (1754-1826) should be secured with the establishment of a qualified teacher for the Catholic areas of South Oldenburg. The new facility has developed rapidly and can be adapted to the changing requirements. Thus the courses offered at first only lasted three months, but in 1837 was the first year course offered in order to meet the increased demands. This trend caught on and have been held since 1856, only one-year courses.
Despite several further reforms was the Normalschulkonzept compared to the other situation of teacher education, in Prussia, since the mid-19th Century date. The State Government, therefore, in Vechta Oldenburg opened on 1 May 1861 a Catholic elementary school teacher seminar. Through this foundation, the training was adapted to the usual standard in other countries, and new teachers were hired, the seminar was given its own building and additional teaching aids. And a special training school was set up to ensure the practical relevance of the training seminar.
After the Reich in 1871 grew the desire to reach the Reich were a form of teacher training. Also in Vechta had the seminar and its courses will be adapted more teachers were hired, buildings were expanded and increased the length of training to three years. At the same time also gradually increased the number of students. By 1 World War I increased the length of the course several times, so that in 1914 an elementary school teacher training lasted for six years. However, the entry age of students with 15 or 16, was also relatively low.
The end of empire and the reconstruction of the Weimar Republic, in turn, brought with it a reform of teacher training. After long discussions and content sites on 1 May 1928 the "Education opens training course" in Vechta. The study was now four years and was the content very wide, which won the elementary teacher training at levels significantly. However, because of the extremely poor public financial situation at the time of the Great Depression, not all reforms are implemented.
Only a short life was granted the Oldenburg by the Nazis set up "teacher training college Vechta," which, since 1 April 1941 the 'Education course should be replaced. " Since the new facility is operated but more than HJ-school and Nazi elite and the second Rest of World War I be doing, this reorganization was a complete failure: it managed not a single candidate to sit a full exam.
The surrender of Germany, the activities of the British military government in South Oldenburg and structure of the Federal Republic of Germany and the Land of Lower Saxony also introduced for training teachers in Vechta fundamental changes. On 19 May 1946 the first "State Pedagogical Academy Vechta", opened in 1947 and taken over by the state of Lower Saxony on 7 May 1948 as "College of Education" should actually find their final form. As part of the common education reform in ¬ form the Federal Republic of Germany, the situation changed, however, several times. 1 April 1969 have been combined, the eight colleges of education in Lower Saxony to the "Pedagogical Institute of Lower Saxony." Vechta had then already a special status because of the concordat with the Lower 26th February 1965 the Catholic Church for this location, the training of Catholic teachers had been guaranteed.
As part of the Lower university expansion in the establishment on 5 Vechta December 1973 as a department in the newly founded University of Osnabrück incorporated. Thus, now the 'University of Osnabrück, Vechta department "had emerged, whose concept of a university in two cities soon came to its limits. Although the teaching areas expanded significantly and new courses were introduced, increasing turf wars, constant tutelage and frequent access to the larger site in the interests Vechtas made a good cooperation in the long run impossible. Although the independence Vechtas to Osnabrück by changes in the Lower Higher Education has been strengthened, a common approach in the matter could be but never reached.
When the newly elected state government of Lower Saxony in the autumn of 1990 indicated its intention to close the site Vechta, seemed to have come with the latest reform and the end of the academic training in Vechta. Resolute protest of the university location, the entire South Oldenburg region and not least the insistence of the Catholic Church were at their konkordatär guaranteed right of the teacher in Vechta fail the closure plans, however. Moreover, in an influx of students after Vechta, which led to a significant increase in student numbers.
After lengthy negotiations, a new concept for the University of Vechta site was developed on 29 sealed in October 1993 in an amendment to the Concordat between the Catholic Church and the State of Lower Saxony was.
1 January 1995 was the first time in Vechta an independent university, called the 'University of Vechta. " This new university was also an innovation hochschulrechtlich; in Vechta first time was a University Council introduced the essential functions of the university development. His responsibilities have been reduced over time. In the meantime, all universities of Lower Saxony on a University Council.
In implementing the objectives of the amendment to the Concordat with the participation of the college were enforced structural changes: the traditional structure of Divisions was replaced by the layout of the college in Institute. The course structure of the university has changed: The undergraduate gerontology courses and the course in environmental science and ecology, specializing in nature conservation have been established, the latter two being run out. At the same time were teaching subjects (chemistry, physics, social studies) and master's degree programs (Anglistik, Germanistik set).
Further restructuring have resulted from the implementation of the structural approach 2003, the University of Vechta. All courses are converted to the whole of Europe agreed Bachelor and Master structure. The subjects in the teaching field are studied at the Hochschule Vechta since winter 2003-04 bachelor's degree in cultural, social and natural sciences. In the winter 2006/07 has been a teaching master's degree (Master of Education, M. Ed.) Is hereby established. The traditional university teacher training in Vechta has changed so that among the first universities in the Lower teacher to a consecutive structure.
Other bachelor's and master's degree programs are planned.
Newly refurbished for the winter 2006/07 were the bachelor degree programs gerontology and social work, which will be completed by Master's programs as well (field of study Social Services). This is where the social work degree program, discontinued by the teaching staff of the former Catholic college north of Germany (KFH) is currently managed, after the merger of the KFH with the University of Vechta in the winter semester 2005/06, his new place.
At the University of Vechta in 3500 are good students enrolled at present