University description (as per official university website)
The Academy of Music Hanns Eisler Berlin, founded in 1950 under the name German Academy of Music, located in the historic center of Berlin on the Gendarmenmarkt, just behind the Konzerthaus Berlin. The new stables with its prominent address at the castle site was near the Museum Island in Berlin's new center opened as a further site in April 2005.
The prestigious institution under the supervision of Prof. Jörg-Peter Weigle has a symphony orchestra, a chamber orchestra, a choir, studio orchestra, a symphonic band, Brass Ensemble Eisler, the Echo ensemble for new music and numerous chamber groups.
Each year more than 400 public events (concerts, music performances, lecture recitals and concerts are presented exam). With the Konzerthaus Berlin and the Berlin Philharmonic are extensive collaborations. The two houses are regular symphonic, choral-and faculty-concerts.
In recent years, with the University of the Arts, the Kurt-Singer-Institute for Musicians' Health, founded the Institute for New Music and the Jazz Institute Berlin. The facilities are a sign of the comprehensive educational profile of innovative format.
Internationally renowned artists such as Kolja Blacher, Willy Decker, Gidon Kremer, Hanspeter Kyburz, Marie Luise Neunecker, Thomas Quasthoff, Julia Varady, Antje Weithaas and Tabea Zimmermann Sloane ensure an excellent level of training as educators. In orchestral workshops and master classes, artists personalities - Midori, Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Daniel Barenboim, Zubin Mehta, Kent Nagano, Seiji Ozawa, Thomas Quasthoff, Sir Simon Rattle, Christian Thielemann - with students of the university.
Are outstanding, in addition to the excellent teachers, the practical relevance in the training and the impulses emanating from the work with great artists. This is achieved through close contact with top orchestras and music theaters and workshops. From orchestral workshops in which the university symphony orchestra works in public with the most important conductors of the time, come to the workshop conductor interaction with the Critical orchestra, with members of the Dirigierstudierende renowned top orchestras in artistic dialogue and addressing the professional criticism. The Public Works, the stage experience is vital aspect of training and makes the university the same time an integral part of the cultural landscape of Berlin.
Claudio Abbado, Daniel Barenboim, Sir Simon Rattle and Wolfgang Rihm support in their role as senators honor the artistic and educational goals of the university. The University Council at the interface university, government and society are as external representatives from cultural, business and science Thomas Greiner, Prof. Monika Grütters, Christian Topper and Dr. Elmar Weingarten. The Society of Friends of the Academy of Music Hanns Eisler Berlin eV under the patronage of Federal President Dr. Richard von Weizsäcker promotes the university and its students including benefit concerts and organizing the student artists 'agency' Eisleriana.
Among the graduates of the University include in the classical field: Jochen Kowalski, Roman Trekel (vocals), Georg Katzer, Siegfried Matthus, Friedrich Schenker (composition), Vladimir Jurowski, Ernst Stoy, Jörg-Peter Weigle, Sebastian Weigle, Feng Yu (conducting ), Peter Konwitschny, Christine Mielitz, Nemirova (Director), Isabelle Faust (violin), Claudio Bohórquez, Sol Gabetta, Danjulo Ishizaka, Johannes Moser (cello) and in jazz: Volker Schlott, Rolf von Nordenskjöld (sax).
The history of the Academy of Music Hanns Eisler Berlin is in close context with the political situation and development of Berlin. The opening of the university in 1950 was motivated essentially political. After the founding of the GDR were the only conservatory in Berlin and all the conservatories in the western part of the city. Sun decided in 1949, the Ministry of Education of the GDR, the establishment of a new conservatory to the eastern sector of the city. It was founded on 10.01.1950 in the William Street as the "German Academy of Music."
Founding director was the musicologist Professor Dr. Georg Knepler. The first professor college united outstanding artists, scientists and educators with very opposing political biography: Rudolf Wagner-Régeny and Hanns Eisler (composition), Helmut Koch (conducting), Helma Prechter and Arno Schellenberg (vocals), Carl Adolf Martienssen and Grete Herwig (piano ), Gustav Havemann and William Martens (violin), Bernhard Guenther (cello), Werner Buchholz (Viola) and Ewald Koch (clarinet).
Since 1964, the university bears the name "Academy of Music Hanns Eisler Berlin.
To coincide with the university was founded on 09.01.1950 "Berufsvollschule of Music" opens. Basis of this foundation was the conceptual idea and understanding of the urgent need for the music of young talent and the accompanying meaningful correlation of both institutions. 1965 came from this device, the "Special School for Music", which for the purposes of constructive intensive support of young people - directly School of Music was assigned to the -. In 1991, the special school for music renamed and is now called High School of Music, Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach.
In the wake of reunification, the Berlin Academy of Music through the land was acquired. It is now one among the state universities of Berlin and is the Senate Administration for Science, Research and Culture assumed.