University description (as per official university website)
The University of Greifswald on 17 October 1456 with papal approval by Duke Wartislaw IX. of Pomerania-Wolgast opened.
The sovereign is founded primarily to the initiative and generous support from the Greifswald Mayor Henry Rubenow thank. Until the turn of the 16th Greifswald century had gained importance for students from the northern kingdom regions and Scandinavia. But the Reformation was the University opposed to what caused the plague, together with that from 1527 no more registrations were made.
Independence by the Office Eldena
In 1539, the University of Greifswald, with a curriculum modeled after Wittenberg was reopened. Visible expression of a new beginning was the establishment of a separate university building (Ernesto Ludovicianum 1591-1596) and building a library from 1604th The donation of the Office Eldena to the university in 1634 by Duke Bogislaw XIV should ensure the sustainable maintenance of the high school and it has the economic activities enables to 1872. The Thirty Years War (1618-1648), whose follow-Vorpommern and the university came under Swedish rule, made the first signs of flowering scientific temporarily been lost.
The Swedish period "(until 1815) of the University in spite of repeated and prolonged wars get well. Impulses of the Enlightenment were from the university, which now functioned more as a cultural bridge to Sweden was added, and by scholars such as JP Palthe, A. von Balthasar, HE and P. Warnekros Ahlwardt promote understanding. Designed by A. Mayer 1747-1750 the present main building of the university, with its famous Great Hall was built.
The Prussian century
1815 Swedish Pomerania came to Prussia. The university was now the smallest but also the oldest of Prussia. In particular, the medicine has developed rapidly at that time. The expansion of the clinical area and the early technical differentiation helped that in Greifswald developed the second largest medical faculty of Prussia, the researchers such as F. Loeffler and F. Sauerbruch worked. The first agricultural academy of Prussia was founded in 1835 on the Universitätsgut Eldena and was in close conjunction with the University until 1876.
Since the end of the 19th Century were built in Greifswald many university buildings. In addition to several clinics and the main lecture hall here in 1882 the University Library was one of the first building with a cantilever design magazine. Since 1925 the University expanded their medical and scientific institutions for one of the city of Greifswald in the gift area east of the city. Here now stands the new campus.
Greifswald in the Twentieth Century
1908 women were first admitted to the program. Time and again, the University has been supported by private patronage. That is, in addition to the approximately 50 scholarships from private foundations, which were awarded in Greifswald to 1920, including the establishment of the first German Biological Research Station on the island of Hiddensee by the Society of Friends of the University.
1933, the University's name Ernst-Moritz-Arndt-University. Many academics were in the years to victims of Nazi persecution and arbitrariness, which met in the ranks of university staff, students and teachers in any significant resistance. The bodies of academic self-government were largely eliminated.
Greifswald has escaped 1945 Thanks to the efforts at the national university bloodless surrender to the Red Army from destruction. On 15 February 1946 could be resumed teaching. The Law School remained closed until their re-1992nd Influenced by the university reforms of 1945/46, 1951 and 1968 developed the socialist Greifswald University. The faculties and institute structure went up in 1968 the newly organized sections, the Academic Senate ceased to exist.
After the political changes in 1990, the faculties and the Academic Senate were newly established. The entry into force of the first basic order in 1995, the process of legal and structural remodeling, as well as the evaluation of the subjects and staff were teachers completed.
Facts and figures
Over 12,000 students are currently enrolled at the university, but a remarkable ratio of students to professors, teachers may: for all the statistics - and a show for the University of Greifswald.
The University of Greifswald has occurred since the winter 2009/2010 over 12,000 students: Over the last 18 years the number of students nearly quadrupled.
Pulled it or considered it to Greifswald 1990/1991 3211 or students who were in the winter semester 2009/2010 12 304. An overview of the change in student numbers in the respective departments are the following:
Faculty WAS 01/02 WAS 02/03 WAS 03/04 WAS 04/05 WAS 05/06 * ¹ WAS 06/07 WAS 07/08 WAS 08/09
Faculty of Arts 2393 2800 3299 4006 4173 4206 4438 4485
Math.-Nat. Faculty 2021 2169 2493 2753 2859 2921 3089 2963
Laws and Staatsw. Fak 1610 1723 1942 1992 1911 1860 2067 2444
Medical school 1239 1252 1320 1415 1528 1598 1648 1696
Faculty of Theology 85 86 88 113 145 188 235 284
DSH Course /
College 190 183 153 141 140 10 * ² 22 29
Total 7538 8213 9295 10 420 10 756 10 783 11 499 11 901 12 304
* ¹ From the winter semester 2005/2006, the number of students on leave without, in previous years, the students on leave are not recorded.
* ² from the winter 2006/2007 are no longer the study included doctoral students
How is the total number of students together?
WAS 01/02 WAS 02/03 WAS 03/04 WAS 04/05 WAS 05/06 WAS * ¹ ° ² 6.7 WAS 07/08
Total 7538 8213 9295 10 420 10 756 10 783 11 499
Female 4367 4815 5473 6190 6325 6410 6776
Male 3171 3398 3822 4230 4431 4373 4723
Foreign students 545 601 617 692 731 610 665
without DSH 1282 1555 1970 2266 2128 2078 2540
1st Higher Education
without DSH 1794 1643 1575 1848 1823 1785
About the origin of students: We have 617 international students enrolled, corresponding to 5.1% of the total number of students.
This is with 75 students in the most represented country of Poland, followed by Russia with 45 students. However, not only from abroad, it attracts more and more students to Greifswald, the proportion of students from other states is widening. Relative to all students, this share is 57%, in the first Semester of the winter semester 2009/2010, the proportion of 64%.