University description (as per official university website)
History of the University of Tuebingen
Founding in 1477 with four founding faculties: theology, law, medicine, philosophy
1535/36 founding of the Protestant congregation
1817 founding of the state economic and Faculty of Catholic Theology
1863 founding of the first Faculty of Science at a German university
For the first time in 1979 more than 20,000 students
1990 Foundation of the Faculty of computer science
1990 Foundation of the Interdisciplinary Centre for Ethics in the Sciences and Humanities ()
1999 Establishment of the Center for Plant Molecular Biology (ZMBP)
2000 Foundation of the Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research
2007 Excellence Cluster in the Excellence Initiative: "Werner Reichardt Centre for Integrative Neuroscience (CIN)
Creation and naming
Eberhard im Bart, Count and later Duke of Wurttemberg, sat down in 1477 with the founding of the University of Tübingen sighted characters, which they know are still committed yet. Eberhard Karls University characterizes the spiritual life of the country and contributes with its internationally recognized scientific benefits to its development.
The current official name "Eberhard Karls University was awarded by the University until 1769, Duke Karl Eugen, who added his name to the founder.
With the university's history is closely intertwined that in 1536, founded Protestant pen, the big names lend luster: Johannes Kepler studied here since 1587; Stiftl were the poet Hölderlin, Hauff and Morike and the philosophers Hegel and Schelling
At the beginning of the 19th Eberhard Karls University of the century witnessed an impressive expansion of scientific and became known for great professors beyond the borders of Württemberg. After 1817 the four founding faculties of a Catholic theological and a state economic had been added, Washington became the first German university in 1863 a separate Faculty of Science. The first University Hospital was established in 1805 in the Alte Burse, in the oldest building still in use today, the university (built in 1478).