University description (as per official university website)
Today's university is on the floor of major traditions; essentials of art and building history in the past 150 years have been here logged to Weimar. Initially a purely artistic school, she later received the character of a modern technological university with many disciplines of Civil Engineering and is now again a body, merging the arts and technology.
At the Bauhaus University has the following faculties:
Architecture, civil engineering, design and media.
1860 The Art School
In 1860 Grand Duke Carl Alexander founded the art school, the first trained painter. This school broke up soon by the academic traditions and went another way, when they were expected from the court. Continuous study of nature was the bid that teachers and students, similar to the French Impressionists, led to a realistic conception. The term "Weimar art school she went into the history of art. In 1910 the larger facility, which now also trained sculptor, raised to the rank of a College of Fine Arts.
The 1902/07 Arts and Crafts School
For the promotion of crafts in the Grand Duchy in 1902 the Belgian Henry van de Velde in Weimar has been called. He founded a crafts seminar, which was followed in 1907, the Grand Ducal Art School, which he headed until its closure in 1915. The work of the school was determined by the ideas of art and Art Nouveau movement of renewal, as they also took van de Velde. The art school gained influence on the artistic design of products in the Thuringian crafts and industry. Shortly before the outbreak of the first World War, van de Velde announced under the impact of increasing xenophobia his employment, in 1917 he left Germany.
1919 The Bauhaus
In April 1919, the architect Walter Gropius, with the support of the Provisional Republican Government of the State of Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach to found the Bauhaus in Weimar, which both the College of Arts and Crafts School, brought together with a new program. The Bauhaus sought under the auspices of the architecture for a new approach to the unification of all design disciplines.
It reformed the art education, by turning away from academic education operation, design principles conveyed in new ways and in particular the workshop for small-scale, later also favored for modern industrieformgestalterische training. At a regular architectural education but lacked the means. For political reasons, was expelled in 1925 from the Bauhaus in Weimar and then continued its work in Dessau. As a modern school of design, it should gain international importance.
1921 College of Fine Arts
Already in 1921 the more traditionally-oriented art from the Bauhaus University broke again and sat on that path regardless.
1926 College of Craft and Architecture
The successor to the Bauhaus was under direction of architect Otto Bartning and offered in Weimar for the first time on a regular architectural education. The workshops were followed by the Bauhaus to the chosen course of industrial styling. Thus, the university continued to the aspirations of modernity combined in these years and was at the height of the time.
1930 School of Architecture, visual arts and crafts
In 1930, the Nazis succeeded in Thuringia, the architect Paul Schultze-Naumburg as director of the university to use, they radically reformed. With an alternative approach to modernity, he oriented to heimattümliche, national values that corresponded to the "blood and soil" ideology. University of Architecture, School of Art and Craft School were merged, although formally, but led a life of their own relatives. An architecture style and solid craftsmanship in the Homeland characterized their work.
1946 School of Architecture and Fine Arts
After the second World War, the architect Hermann Henselmann in the spirit of "anti-fascism and democratic development efforts" under the Soviet occupation of the new school. Starting points were seen in humanistic traditions, and at first also in Bauhaus. The urgent reconstruction needs of the particular their goals. "As a result of" structural reform in 1951, the State Department of Fine Arts was abolished. It was a name change to 'university' for architecture.
1954/96 School of Architecture and Construction
In 1954 the university received a Rector's constitution. The first rector was the architect Otto Englberger. Two new faculties were opened: the Faculty of Civil Engineering and the Faculty of Building Materials and Building Materials. The university has developed into one of the leading universities of its kind in the GDR, which was characterized by a broad spectrum of Civil Engineering disciplines. The higher education reform in 1968 brought with it an extension to five sections (faculties): architecture, civil engineering, materials engineering, computer engineering and data processing, regional and urban planning, but the other one oriented to the centralized economic management organization, which contributed to the detriment of a free development of teaching and research .
1990/91 restructuring of faculties
With the political changes began a process of reconstruction and the orientation to the needs of a cosmopolitan university. The faculties were restructured urban and regional planning were merged and integrated with the architecture of the building material component in the Faculty of Civil Engineering. For 1993/94 saw the establishment of the Faculty of Design, so that a wide range of free art, design, visual communication, architecture and urban planning, civil engineering to computer science was offered, and "the school to a university of" building and design formed.
1995/96 Bauhaus University Weimar
The much-quoted phrase of Walter Gropius of the unity of art and technology has been given new meaning. to expand the engineering education through an artistic, art or not art, but art and technology is the aim of the university, with a unique concept that offers a classic engineering or art school can not. This new, modern and forward-looking profile was taken with the decision of the council in October 1995 for a name change bill, "Bauhaus University Weimar."
A year later, in a ceremony which was the official name change will be committed.
As a logical continuation of the artistic and technical direction of the university was founded in autumn 1996, the Faculty of Media. She took her training in two new degree programs: a scientific, cultural and artistic media, the media design. Since the winter 1997/98, the course is offered Materials Science. A Thuringian model study, undertaken by the three universities in Weimar, Ilmenau and Jena.
Rounding out the scientific available through numerous conferences and workshops. The most important include the International Building Materials Conference "ibausil," the International Symposium on applications of computer science and mathematics in architecture and construction (IKM) and the International Bauhaus Colloquium.
According finds the claim to international annual European Summer Academy (ESA instead), with a language program, a cultural program and a professional project.
Since the winter 1998/99, the Faculty offers media a binational program of study "European Media Culture", together with the University Lumière in Lyon.
2001 Reformed Study - Internationalization
For the purposes of the Bologna process, the Bauhaus-Univerität first undergraduate degree programs with bachelor's and master's degrees one - the programs Management and Infrastructure & Environment in the Faculty of Civil Engineering. The Civil Engineering course itself followed a year later. Since autumn 2003, the Faculty of Media has changed its three programs at Bacelor and Master. This creates the best conditions for the University of international comparability of its programs and allows its students to facilitate the transfer abroad, and foreign students better access to the Weimar courses receive