University description (as per official university website)
The Catholic University of Eichstätt-Ingolstadt (KU) is the only Catholic university in the German speaking countries. And she's all but a mass university.
Located in a popular area, the park Altmühltal, offers the KU its current 4,500 students the advantages of a small and manageable University. 120 professors, more than 200 scientific staff and a number of lecturers in particular guarantee an excellent service from the practice of students. Personal contacts with the professors and lecturers on the campus as shown by itself
The KU is represented at two locations: Eichstätt and Ingolstadt. In Eichstätt seven faculties are located in Ingolstadt, the Faculty of Economics and their headquarters in both places are lecture halls, dining hall, computer center and library within a stone's throw away from each other.
The Catholic University of Eichstätt was founded in 1980 as a research university. The University is both the university as well as the Catholic tradition.
In practice, this means on the one hand, that the university is open to students of all confessions and giving to the KU completed the same rights as in state universities and that the freedom of science is assured. On the other hand, the Catholic Foundation for example, means that results of research as well as the actions in everyday life, will be prepared for at the university, should be critically scrutinized. Indeed, protected areas, for example, business ethics or journalistic ethics are solid building blocks of respective subjects. Particular importance has also co-operation between disciplines and an openness that is also the basis for a dialogue with other religions. The University wants to be an academic community, provides the expertise and social skills in equal measure.
Since 2001, the University of the name "Catholic University of Eichstätt-Ingolstadt", because in Ingolstadt, Bavaria's oldest university town, is now almost one in four KU students enrolled.
The history of the KU
16th November 1564
Prince-Bishop of Eichstätt Martin von Schaumberg (picture) founded the Collegium Willibaldinum first Tridentine seminary for priests education north of the Alps. With the rapid implementation of the 1563 at the Council of Trent decided he wants seminar Decree-established moral priests be trained and so one caused by the Reformation "frightful face defectum personarum.
28th August 1565
Prince Bishop Martin von Schaumberg includes a Inkorporationsvertrag with the University of Ingolstadt, which likens the Eichstätter artistic studies with those of the Ingolstadt. The Willbaldinum Partikularschulcharakter reserves.
The college is Willibaldinum as "high school Academicum" under the direction of the Jesuit Order. Following complete the secondary school study seminarians are taught a two-to three-year pastoral course in which logic, casuistry and Kontroverstheologie. The decree provided for in the Tridentine seminary combination of education and teaching with an isolated community life of the world account in Eichstätt, because the college can lead to only 20 Jesuit Theological not. In the first Jesuit Ingolstadt - were among them Peter Canisius - already appointed in 1549 to avert a collapse of the theological lectures.
Bishop Raymond Anton of Strasoldo (1757 - 1781) adopt the Instructio Pastoralis Eystettensis. At this time, pastoral theology arises as a new scientific discipline.
Continuation of the "High School Academicum" as high school by secular priests. Many Exjesuiten remain after the dissolution in 1773 as a teacher in Eichstätt.
The superfluous has become next to each other by a former Jesuit school and episcopal seminary graduates will be terminated with the spatial pooling in the old seminary. Studying at secondary school and lyceum episcopale et Academicum "up to 500 students. The Revolutionary War and the attack of the diocese to "Salzburg a short reign in 1803, end the first flowering of the Lyceum.
Secularization and media coverage following the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss of 1803 will, in Eichstätt until 1806 with the attack on Bavaria. The Lyceum is repealed.
Fourteenth June 1843
Bishop Karl August Graf von Reisach (picture) built a church high school, the state high schools will be legally equivalent. To succeed in Eichstätt the breakthrough to a church's own clergy training. The rector of the seminary is also ex officio rector of the Lyceum. This rule remains in 1950, still persist. For subjects to be studied are systematic and practical philosophy, and history of philosophy, psychology, and general historical world, mathematics and physics, chemistry and natural history, education (since 1848), dogmatics, ethics, canon, exegesis, pastoral theology, church history and liturgy.
With the appointment of Joseph Ernst, who studied at the Roman Germanicum, is Bishop Reisach the course of neo-scholasticism. It takes place in Eichstätt-known representatives, such as the philosopher Albert Stöckl and Mathias cutting or dogmatists Francis of Paula Morgott. Early on, however, is rather a distanced historicizing confrontation, for example by the liturgists Valentin Thalhofer, above all, by Martin grave man, who was appointed in 1906 to Eichstätt.
During the period of the culture war takes on the Lyceum many theology students from the entire German-speaking countries, particularly the priesthood candidates from Switzerland. From 41 students in the years 1870/71, the number rises to 302 in academic year 1885/86. As the central "seminary for Germany," the Lyceum experienced a second golden age.
26th February 1924
The Lyceum is renamed the Pontifical Faculty of Theology University.
Dr. Konrad Graf von Preysing Lichtenegg Moss, Bishop of Eichstätt, is a staunch opponent of National Socialism. Among his friends is one of the Capuchin Eichstätter Ingbert Naab, who wrote in 1932 in an open letter to Hitler: "Only rarely does a person requires so much mental slavery as you, the herald of German freedom." A similar attitude is also found in the Eichstätt professors.
In 1937 the jurist Dr. Joseph Lechner writes under the pseudonym Michael Germanicus an open letter to Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels, claiming that in Germany there is no objective justice more. During the reign of National Socialism and the war takes Eichstätt theology students from 42 German and foreign dioceses and orders from 35 companies, including the traditional priesthood candidates from Speyer and the Capuchins and Salesians. The university receives the third time broadly applicable.
4th October 1940
The Bavarian State Ministry of Education and the Arts withdraws the Philosophical-Theological College, the public rights. It will continue as a religious institution.
7th March 1946
The Bavarian State Ministry of Education and Culture provides all the original rights restored. As the university buildings in Munich and Würzburg are partially destroyed Eichstätt takes at times to about 1000 students from different disciplines, so that in addition to theology and medicine, law, science, etc. are taught.
The list of lectures from the summer semester 1949 points in philosophy and theology from a number of senior lecturers, including the catechists Ludwig Bruggaier, the jurist Joseph Lechner, the New Testament scholar Joseph Kürzinger, the dogmatist Ludwig Ott, the Old Testament scholar Martin Rehm, 1938, the successor to Franz Xaver Wutz started, had the fundamental-and church historian Rudolf Graber, 1962 Bishop of Regensburg appointed, the moral and pastoral theologians Alfons Fleischmann, and the physicist and mathematician Johannes Stigler, both principal and rain, the chemists, biologists, geologists, Franz Xaver Mayr, finally Johannes Hirschberger philosophers, educators and philosophers Friedrich Dorr and the historian Andrew belly.
2nd July 1958
Upon the decision of the Conference of the Bavarian bishops of Eichstätt is a church founded in the College of Education. The initiator of the pastoral theologian Alfons Fleischmann (image) drives the development are changing rapidly, so the opening can take place November 4th already on that. The Bavarian State Ministry of Education and Culture issued the Pedagogical University Eichstätt on 31 October 1958, the governmental approval.
The College of Education are being extended. The number of listeners is up from 123 in winter 1958/59 to 529 in the winter semester 1971/72. Because of lack of housing two homes to be built, in 1960 the "Maria Ward" for female students, two years later, the "St. Michael" for students.
The catechetical mission-World Congress, hosted by the College of Education.
5th In May 1972
The Bavarian bishops decide to merge the two church schools in Eichstätt involving newly arranged college courses to a total institution.
2nd August 1972
The Bavarian bishops to sign the Deed of Church Comprehensive University Eichstätt. On 29 September the government approval for the construction and operation of the overall Church University is granted on 8 December sees the opening ceremony by Cardinal Julius Döpfner.
30th September 1975
Upon the establishment of Sector II philosophy, the university now has three academic departments: Catholic Theology, Philosophy I, Education and Social Science and Philosophy II with religious education, religious education and social services.
5th April 1979
The Bavarian bishops' conference decided to give the total Catholic University Eichstätt the name University of Eichstätt.
In an exchange of notes between the Apostolic See and the Free State of Bavaria is determined that the contractors of the concordat to lead to agree to the Eichstätt University as a research university within the meaning of the Bavarian University and the name Catholic University of Eichstätt grant.
1st April 1980
Decree of the Congregation for Catholic Education, is the established church law as well as the University of Eichstätt Catholic University.
8th June 1988
The government funding will be extended to graduate, master's and postgraduate studies. An amendment to the Concordat allowed the establishment of an Economic Sciences in Ingolstadt, which is founded in 1989.
27th September 1989Niederlegung a new constitutional structure with the structure in eight faculties (including two college courses).
21st September 2001
A revision of the basic order comes into force. The University is named Catholic University Eichstätt-Ingolstadt (KU). Thus the importance of the economics department in Ingolstadt is worn with now more than 900 from a total of 4,000 students account. In addition to various structural reforms, the collective university management will be introduced.