University description (as per official university website)
With the exception of the Department of Materials Science Glass and Ceramics ", whose roots date to the 19th Century back, are the beginnings of the University of Koblenz in the period immediately after the Second World War. Many homes and factories were destroyed at that time, the demand for consumer goods of all kinds very large. For the reconstruction there was a lack of skilled technicians and engineers. Since the middle Rhine area technical schools were lacking and the delimitation of the French occupation zone, a visit by construction or engineering schools in North Rhine-Westphalia and Hesse was not possible, rose more and more the demand for the establishment of technical training.
should the Chamber of Commerce in Koblenz seized in the autumn of 1946 the initiative and suggested in a letter to the Chief President have - who later became President of the Government - in Koblenz, the establishment of technical training for professionals of the middle career, it's both good practical and theoretical knowledge. Upon approval by the military government and the chief president began in January 1947 evening preparatory courses in a public place in Weißenthurm. On 9 April 1947 was in the offices of the Grey School "in the first Andernach Semester of the "Technical Vocational courses Andernach" sponsored by the Chamber of Koblenz opened.
To address the lack of well trained engineers and architects, the city of Koblenz in turn founded in autumn 1948, a construction school. Two makeshift prepared rooms in the former St. Anthony's College of the Capuchin monastery in Ehrenbreitstein served as the first training center. The windows were still boarded up and only with small glass panes provisional. Fuel had to bring the 80 students themselves. A number of new registrations soon forced to a rapid solution to the problem of space. The city council put the building school then the attic of a former barracks on the Certosa available. After the required clearing and repair work could begin in summer 1949 the new premises.
The same year, negotiated the city of Koblenz and the Koblenz Chamber of Commerce on an association of building school and college Andernach. The city council secured for future major educational institution to provide to the entire barracks building. Were obliged to school, nursery school and bombed Koblenz families who had occupied the lower floors, will be requisitioned. For the newly established Catholic parish of St. Beatus, who had rented until August 1948 two rooms of the barracks, a former horse stable was converted into a parish church.
To promote the restoration of the interior of the barracks and the cleanup on the site, all students committed to the voluntary service of 100 hours during the semester. With effect from 15 September 1949 brought together the "Technical Vocational courses Andernach" and building school and the so-called "United technical colleges Koblenz" took the winter semester 1949/50 on the teaching. Eleven full-time and six part-time teachers taught in the three departments of civil engineering and mechanical engineering a total of about 300 students. For winter 1951/52, the Department was added electrical engineering.
Thanks to the dedication of professors, students and the city of Koblenz, the United technological institutions developed within a decade one of the largest engineering schools in Rhineland-Palatinate. Early 70s was the "College of Rhineland-Palatinate, in which the now nationalized Koblenz School of Engineering has been integrated as one of seven departments.
As part of the restructuring in 1971 expanded to the hitherto purely technically oriented courses at the Business Divisions I and II as well as social work and social pedagogy. In addition, the previously separate ceramic education in Höhr-Grenzhausen (since 1879 "Ceramic School," 1953 "Higher School", 1957 "engineering and factory school") in 1971 as a department of ceramics at the Department of Koblenz was attached. Another was enriched, FH 1987 by the establishment of the Institute of Artistic Ceramics in Höhr-border camp. Since 1 September 1996 no longer exists, the Fachhochschule Rheinland-Pfalz. It was converted into seven independent colleges in Bingen, Kaiserslautern, Koblenz, Ludwigshafen, Mainz, Trier and Worms.
The variety of study facilities and the recognized quality of the training were the number of students, particularly in the 80 years, rise sharply. Due to a citizen initiative in 1988 was the end 1987/Anfang waived the first proposed expansion in Alt-Chartreuse and placed in January 1996 eventually laid the foundation for the first phase of the much-needed new building. After about two and a half years of construction, found the former faculties of "machinery" and "Electrical Engineering" in the set up according to the latest state of the art building at the Konrad-Zuse-Straße their new home.
Also for the winter semester 1998/99 the University of Applied Sciences Koblenz took on in its new location in the teaching Remagen. The RheinAhrCampus, which was funded by the Bonn / Berlin compensation, went with the departments of health and social economy, Sport Management and Engineering Physics at the start. In the winter semester 1999/2000 there were followed by the Technical Study business administration and applied mathematics.
With the new building in Remagen in Koblenz and the Koblenz University of Applied Sciences has provided an important course for the future. Amid intensifying competition between universities will be able to just who the students can only provide a quality training and a good infrastructure.
With the inauguration of the second phase of construction at the Charterhouse in the winter semester 2009/2010 all four Divisions of Koblenz and the administration are united in one building complex. The new premises shall ensure that the largest with approximately 6700 students and three sites in Koblenz, Remagen and Höhr-Grenzhausen Fachhochschule in Rheinland-Pfalz is the FH with the most modern equipment now.