University description (as per official university website)
The University of Applied Sciences Coburg offers over 20 degree programs in design, social work and health, engineering and business a wide range of opportunities for its 3,000 students. The faculties are divided between two locations: the design related courses are located in the historic and restored, but with the latest technology available to the Hofbrauhaus Coburg dukes. The other subjects have removed their rooms on campus, not far from Hofbrauhaus, railway station and town center. The campus is situated on a hill facing the Veste Coburg, to which one has a wonderful view. Here, the dormitories and the cafeteria can be found, so the way for the students is very short.
Application-oriented studies will be here the educational mission of universities written correspondingly large, but also applied research and development have an important role in Coburg. Small groups and clear lectures guarantee that no one gets lost in the crowd.
Coburg is a city of about 42,000 inhabitants, a very rich cultural life. These include the Veste Coburg with its art collections, the honor and the country's Castle Theater. But also less interested in culture Coburg offers many recreational opportunities. There are many cafes, pubs and bars for the nice chat after a productive day at the university. For the sports enthusiasts there are fitness centers and sports clubs. Due to the beautiful location makes outdoor sports in the forests and parks in and around Coburg particularly fun.
History of the university
The Coburg University traces its tradition to the trade school that was in 1812 by the Dukes of Saxony Friedrich Streib architect based in Coburg. She had to prepare for the task of construction workers to the master law.
After the death of the school's founders, the school as Ducal building trade, was established.
With the connection to Bavaria Coburg changed the name again - this time in State of Construction.
From 1933 to 1939 they carried the name Higher State Technical College for Civil Engineering.
After 1940 State School. After the Second World War they took the first State School in Bavaria again the teaching farm of 193 students.
From 1951 it was called School of Engineering for civil engineering.
End of the fifties, the decision was the Engineering School, the two new mechanical and electrical engineering departments and annexing it to expand to the Polytechnic. 1960 was the new buildings in the Friedrich-Streib-Straße be obtained.
With the establishment of colleges in 1971, a new type of institution was created, which forms according to the Bavarian Higher Education (BayHSchG) together with the universities, art schools and other institutions in higher education.
Under the umbrella of the new university, the Polytechnic Coburg and the textile trade and engineering school Münchberg was united, in Coburg, the existing engineering curricula and courses training in the fields of economics and social added.
With the rental and the terms of the restored Hofbrauhaus in the fall of 1999, the Coburg in newly established design training to suitable accommodation. 01, March 2000 was attached to the Department Münchberg with the Department of Textile Engineering and design of the university farm.
Currently, about 3,000 students studying at the university.