University description (as per official university website)
Our Mission Statement: To prepare leaders for Christian life and ministry
Horizon College & Seminary is located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, a beautiful city on the prairies. We are a postsecondary theological college, evangelical in orientation. Students are welcome from a diverse background of Christian faith.
As a smaller Christian college, we strive to attain a close community of awareness and care of others.
Our goal is to:
• ‘Touch the Heart’ through spiritual formation and development
• ‘Teach the Mind’ through academic and vocational preparation, and
• ‘Train the Hands’ through practical ministry experience.
Horizon College & Seminary traces its origins back to a small school that George Hawtin, the local pastor, began in Star City, Saskatchewan, in 1935. He moved the school, then known as Bethel Bible Institute, to Saskatoon in 1937, where he purchased property and developed a campus at Avenue A and 29th Street. In 1945, the college became the property of The Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada and in 1947, the college came under the direction of the Saskatchewan District of the PAOC as a result of a major administrative change in the school itself.
Robert M. Argue came from his Regina pastorate in 1947 to provide the college with solid leadership during the next nine critical years. When he left in 1956, C.H. Stiller, the Saskatchewan District Superintendent, became president and guided the college through some difficult years created by low enrolments. It was, however, during this time that the Manitoba District began to support Bethel. When the school, in 1962, had its name changed to Central Pentecostal College, it came under the joint sponsorship of the Manitoba-Northwestern Ontario and Saskatchewan Districts of the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada.
During Alvin Schindel's presidency, from 1963 to 1974, the college purchased the former Lutheran Theological Seminary building and some land just off 8th Street East. With the erection of a new residence in 1969, capable of housing seventy-two students, the college was developing a campus more suited to its needs and purposes. In 1972, Central Pentecostal College established an agreement with Lutheran Theological Seminary in Saskatoon whereby qualified students could study at Central Pentecostal College towards attaining a graduate level theological degree.
Further significant campus developments took place during the ten years of Kenneth Birch's presidency from 1974-1984. Ken led a building program that added a 150-seat lecture theatre, an expanded library, and a new office complex to the existing education building.
Central Pentecostal College was granted Affiliate College status by the University of Saskatchewan on July 1, 1983. This recognition has provided access for our students to use the University Libraries and other facilities as well as participate in the recreational sports program. A number of courses were also recognized for transfer credit to the University.
Presidents of the college since 1983 have included: J. Harry Faught (1984-1993), Ron Kadyschuk (1993-1998), David Munk (1998-2004), and Doug Stiller (2004-2006).
Central Pentecostal College began the process of external accreditation with the American Association of Bible Colleges (AABC) in 1988 and was granted accredited membership in the AABC in 1997. The accrediting association is now called the Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE).
In 2007 the ABHE approved a new agreement between our college and Providence Theological Seminary (in Otterburne, Manitoba) to create a Pentecostal Studies track in Providence’s Master of Divinity program. This opportunity for graduate studies is administered through Canadian Pentecostal Seminary (CPS) Central, the seminary division of our college programs.
Hundreds of graduates from the ministerial training programs at Horizon are in different types of full-time ministry at home and abroad as well as responsible places of lay leadership in local churches and other ministries.
In 2006 Dr. Gordon Giesbrecht was appointed Full Time President of the college. He has provided visionary leadership towards renewing the ministry of the college including the name change brought about May 1st, 2007, wherein we officially changed our name to Horizon.